Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

Bad Belly - GERD Dx burning/dull ache under breast bone

Must Read
GERD affects up to 20% of all American adults. But what are the characteristics of this gastro-intestinal disease? And what are some effects of GERD?...
GERD can be uncomfortable. But who is at risk of developing GERD? And what muscle is responsible for GERD? Read on for risk factors and causes of GERD here....
How do you know if you're having heartburn or a heart attack? We define symptoms of both ... plus details on when to seek help for GERD here....
I have been diagnosised with GERD and since about August I have been having some real nasty issues with my belly. I've aspirated twice into my lungs, not something I would wish upon anyone!! Lately I've been getting a burning/dull ache type pain just under and below the breast bone. Also get a burning sensation that spreads from my upper back into my shoulders and neck. When this really kicks in I clear my throat about ever minute (or at least it seems) I'm taking a nexium, domperidone, and gavscon for my belly. Which only seems to help about half the time. Has anyone else had similar!! If so, if not any ideas???
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 19th, 2007
Bad Belly,,,
It sounds similar to what I was experiencing,,,,,come to find out, I have Gall Stones...and am seeing a surgeon on the 28th of this month,,,not sure if I want to have it removed,,,hopefully ,,there is an alternative,,,,have your doctor check for them witha simple ultrasound.....see if this helps....

Jeannette
|

replied November 21st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
If you have not already, I would take this issue up with your doctor. Aspiration is not a good thing. The worst thing you can do is lay down right after a meal. Do you take your Nexium one hour before you eat once a day? I do and there still are times I will just bend over to get something off the floor and up it comes. I would see my doctor about that aspiration issue if it were me. I've know people that have had thier doctors double up on their dose.

Carrie
|

replied November 22nd, 2007
Bad Belly
Had an ultra sound done and neg. results. Doc gets me to take my nexium 2 times a day and donperidome 3 times. Suppose to be getting an ensoscopy when they schedule one.
|

replied August 14th, 2008
Bad Belly
I'm going through the same thing. I don't have the shoulder pain, but I'm glad you had an ultrasound. I did too, and I still have this constant burning where my esophagus meets my stomach. I'm on Nexium twice a day and Sulcafate liquid 2 times a day. Sometimes it makes it worse!!! When i eat, it helps. Have you found out any more information? I had an endoscopy and they said I have a hiatal hernia but it shouldn't have this constant hurt.
|

replied August 15th, 2008
The belly pain was diagnosed as IBS. Which was triggered by stress so my doctor told, which also accounted for the shoulder pain, this was actually a vicious circle as the pain caused more stress, which in turn caused more pain. The heart burn I still have to verying degrees depending on what I eat. The aspiration problem I had was solved by not having anything except water 2 - 3 hours before bed. The doctor also prescribed a drug called domperidone. I think thats the spelling, its a motility drug, smooths out the digestive tract to keep things go properly. Hope some of this is useful.
|

replied August 15th, 2008
Hi - my pain is not in my lower abdomen. It's in my stomach. I have irritable bowel from time to time and I take Bentyl - a life saver. I believe that's a motility drug too, but I'm not sure what it would do for a hiatal hernia. I kinow what you mean by STRESS! It's hard to believe and grasp that stress could cause physical problems but it seems it can. Good luck to you!
|

replied July 29th, 2010
I have the same problem, everything I eat, 20 minutes later I have heartburn and burning pain in my throat and under my breastbone and stomach. This is driving me crazy, I feel like I have something caught in my throat, shortness of breathe and belching. I am afraid to eat anything, I get pains in my chest and fear the worst which doesn't help. Can someone help me understand this?
thank you.
|

replied August 8th, 2010
reflux gerd
hi i suffer with gurd reflux i dont get heartburn just bad pain in the gullet and under my ribs im on 30mg of lansoprazole at the moment twice a day ive got my second camera down the throat in two weeks im suffering with a lump in the throat feeling at the moment really getting me down havent got a clue whats causing that really i dont
|

replied March 1st, 2011
Have any of you had your food allergies checked for wheat/dairy/gluten? Food allergies can cause heartburn,acid reflux, bloated stomach,gas, constipation, all of which is your body saying 'no thanks' to what you have put in it.
|

replied March 30th, 2011
Possible Stomach Ulcer
I'm a fully paid up member of the bad belly club , been told it's a hiatus hernia , IBS ,gall stones over the years . I've been for two endoscopy examinations a barium meal various other tummy examinations and x rays but never really got any satisfaction ,my mum and boyfriend both think I have a stomach ulcer because they run in our family and my mum as a ulcer herself the symtoms do seem to suggest they are right .I get a burning pain between my ribcage and my tummy button which eases when I eat plain food but a couple of hours later it starts burning and rumbling again .I can't eat anything spicy or greasy without my stomach rebeling and have to avoid alcohol and coffee or anything acidic. When my stomach hurts I have to unzip my jeans or roll my tights down off my tummy because it hurts when its pressed . My stomach is always growling and I'm always belching . Anyone got any other ideas ?
|

replied March 30th, 2011
Sounds like you have some severe GERD! Better make sure you have an MD check you out!! Good luck!
|

replied April 25th, 2013
I have the same symptoms burning pain in the stomach and back ,arms and neck have had 2 endoscopies ,gastroscopy,and colonoscopy and found out I have a sliding hiatial hernia,nutcracker osophacus and ibs and when they all start it can feel like I'm having a heart attack just wish there was some miracle cure for this . I've been on lansoprazole for over 2 years now but doesn't always work
|

User Profile
replied June 30th, 2013
Experienced User
LOOK up Gasporesis, I have had GERD since 1996 on nexium, I had my gallbladder out, developed chronic pancreatites, now I have Gadporesis, my food doesn't digest at all, ferments, it's takes a week to digest any protein. Get your GERD under control by diet. It's not IBS, IBS is when u eat and have to go #2 immediately after, you will have bloating, cramping, gas but once you evacuate, the pain subsides. GASPORESIS, you cannot process food due to nerves being damaged. Doctors r saying its medications over the years, there is no CURE for GP, so get ur GERD under control by diet, if it doesn't work ur LES may need surgical intervention. Constant burning from GERD, can lead to cancer, thinning of the esophagus . I have been thru HELL. Giving up foods, or changing life style is far better then vomiting everything u consume, or being bloated so bad it hurts to wear underwear!!
|