Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

How Do You Insert Nuva Ring (Page 1)

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
Ok yes I understand what a ridiculous question this is but everyone keeps telling me that it fits around my cervix but when (ok too much information alert) I insert the ring with my finger I dont feel anything....just the 'tunnel' my finger is in. So how do I know if its in right? It doesnt feel like its actually around something..it just feels like I stuck it up there. Ive read that the exact position is not important for it to work- is that true? If it is then basically I just need to 'shove' it far enough back so I dont feel it and then Im cool? Sorry for the dumb question- I really am an intelligent person I swear Very Happy
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Lola214
|

replied November 13th, 2007
Experienced User
You need to follow the packet info it should show you exactly, or go to the nuva ring web site they have a demonstration video. And it doesn't go around anthing, it fits in the cervix and slowly releases the hormones straight to the cervix. Don't worry not a dumb question if its new to you! Smile
|

Extremely eHealthy
The NUVA RING does not fit INTO the cervix at all.

BASICALLY, the nuva ring just needs to be inside of your vagina, which the NUVA RING "information leaflet" explains to you.

You should place it as high as it will go so it will not fall out.

The HORMONES release into your BODY via the vaginal mucosa. The vaginal mucous absorbs the medicine, then it goes into your body and affects ovulation.
|

Experienced User
Thanks Carifairy you explained it alot better! I don't know a whole lot about it, I only used it for a month and don't deal with it alot in the pharmacy I work in!
|

replied March 31st, 2008
My gyn told me to use an old tampon applicator to insert it. Since I use tampons with paper applicators, that isn't a good approach for me, so instead I use a plastic applicator that came with a yeast infection treatment. It is made just like a tampon applicator. Just squeeze the NuvaRing in half and twist it a few times to make it narrow enough to push up into the applicator. I put a little lubricant on the ring to help get it in the applicator, and also put a little lubricant on the outside of the applicator to make it easier going in. Then you just insert it like a tampon. Works really well for me.

That all said, I have been on NuvaRing for five months now, and am having LOTS of side effects--headaches, depression/low energy, low sex drive, vaginal itching and soreness, intermittant weird feeling that I need to urinate when I don't, mild weight gain, and significant hair loss. I could put up with the other side effects, but the hair loss is the straw that broke the camel's back. I am planning to discontinue NuvaRing once I finish this month's cycle. From what I see on this and other forums, these side effects are typical for hormonal birth control.
|

replied November 8th, 2009
When I got my ring from my doctor she actually showed me how to put it in with a tampon applicator. She showed me how to twist it and fold it over so its smaller and fits in the applicator. I found this is ALOT easier to insert it and to get a better fit for the ring!
|

replied November 15th, 2009
I just started using nuvaring and mine won't stay in position! From looking at these forums it doesn't sound like this is a normal problem. I keep feeling the ring as it starts to come out (although I don't think it would completely fall out) and I'm getting sore from continuously pushing it back up there!! Should I be worried that I'm not getting the hormones because of this? And am I doing something wrong??
|

replied November 25th, 2009
nuva position problem
periodically I have the placement issue as well. i'm interested in the tampon applicator insertion method, but i'm not sure I understand how to use it.....
|

replied December 8th, 2009
Use an unused tampon applicator
I used an unused tampon applicator. I took the tampon out and put the ring inside and it worked like a charm. I'm a bigger girl, so every other way failed me, but this helped alot.
|

replied January 17th, 2010
I put it in the tampon dispenser way but my question is: now how do I take it out? My fingers are short & now I can't even feel it with my fingers at all! Help!
|

replied February 9th, 2010
too much trouble with insertion....i cant find a solution
so I have this issue where the gyn inserted it for me and it never gave me any problems. however this is my second month and I now inserted it and I have had to fix it everyday because it continuously keeps trying to come out. i can feel it and its uncomfortable. i have short fingers so i use the tampon applicator myself but it doesnt help me. its to the point where its making me burn and feel uncomfortable. i just cant push it that far for some reason. it shouldnt be this hard especially since im no virgin...ive had a child.
|

replied March 17th, 2010
new nuva ring user
thank god you girls have the same problem witht the nuva ring putting it in place. I recently started the nuva ring and have been having problems with insertion also. It would come out or I could feel or if i checked it the ring would be right there. I am experiencing some headache issues but i dont know if its the nuva ring itself.... ill be trying the unused tampon insertion thing
|

replied March 29th, 2010
NuvaRing folded over after inserting.
Okay mine isn't having a problem with staying in ( i use the tampon method) but when it is in it is like bent up it doesn't open up. Is this a problem?
|

replied September 16th, 2010
nuva ring not fiting
im having the same problem...mine wont stay!!! i have tried everyway!!
|

replied October 26th, 2010
Nuvaring will stay in - push it all the way up and be patient!
Hi ladies,

Bottomline is y'all are NOT inserting it way up up where it needs to be.

I am "Nuvaring" survivor.. after experiencing most of the side effects including it descending down all day (sooo uncomfortable, reinserting it 10 times while at work, giving myself a UTI i.e., urinary tract infection) and being on antibiotics for it etc. etc)...

I decided to see this as a challenge.. if it stayed in 9 times why did it come out this time. I took it out at the end of the day after work, let me vagina rest overnight and inserted a new Nuvaring n the morning... al the way up.. kept pushing it till i couldn't even touch it with my finger n made sure i felt the edges spread out inside..

IT stayed in.. ladies.. it will not come out and u should not feel it if it's in the right place up there. If it has stayed in even once for 3 weeks for u then it will stay in again n again.. Don't loose patience.. u can win this!

I did!

T...
|

replied January 29th, 2011
sex and the nuvaring???
tika12 how did you get it out at the end of the 3 weeks? i have been using nuvaring for 3 monthes and so far so good no side effects or even the issue of the ring sliding out. not to give out to much information but im only 18 and my boyfriend and i are eachothers first. my boyfriend is currently away in the airforce and so we havent done anything since september. im just wondering if the ring is inserted and vertical in the vagina instead of being horizantal cant sex cause it to fall out? i know this sounds like a stupid question but if it does how am i supossed to do anything with my boyfried???
|

replied January 29th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
nikita, Stop worrying about it. If it comes out, just put it back in after you are finished. The ring can be out for up to 3 hours without it affecting the protection.

Just make sure it is still in after you are finished with intercourse.

Take care.
|
Users who thank UnknownABC for this post: nikita13 

replied March 27th, 2011
NuvaRing Frustration!
Ladies, I am SO frustrated! And thank goodness there are others who are having/have had the same problem. I just got NuvaRing 2 days ago and I don't think I can do it. Tika, I know you said that you just have to keep trying but I'm already at the end of my rope. I have taken it out and put it back in SO many times. I think I have it up far enough (until I can barely touch it with my finger) but it still comes down. It's so uncomfortable. It's obvious that It needs to go in farther, but it WON'T.

I also tried to use a tampon applicatior and girls, how do you even get the damn thing to fit in the applicator? No one showed me how to use the ring and I feel so stupid that I can't figure it out.

Are there any other tricks to this?
|

replied June 10th, 2013
You can get help from ur gyny dr. I just started nuva ring today .. My dr helped me put mine in . So ik how for next time. Just call ur dr and make an appointment they ll help u or show u with a diaphram .
|

replied April 10th, 2011
I just inserted the first Nuvaring for my sweetie. I approached it like a diaphragm insertion - pinch it "sideways" (so the long ends point up/down the vaginal barrel), insert as far as I can and then tuck the closer end up (toward bellybutton) and behind the pubic bone. I approached this way because a prior GF said that if I was the cause for needing a diaphragm, I was darned well going to help with the less fun part (for her). We'll see how it goes.

One evening long ago, I helped with an impromptu search of our dorm's lawn for a diaphragm that "sproing!ed" out an unscreened 4th floor window - there was a lot of sympathy for the dismayed couple.
|

replied April 10th, 2011
I just inserted the first Nuvaring for my sweetie. She said "Great! It's clear so it'll be harder to see if it falls out." We're going from Pill to this & will see how it goes. I approached it like a diaphragm insertion - pinch it "sideways" (so the long ends point up/down the vaginal barrel), insert as far as I can and then tuck the closer end up (= toward bellybutton) and behind the pubic bone. I approached this way because a prior GF said that if I was the cause for needing a diaphragm, I was darned well going to learn & help with the less fun part (for her).
One evening long ago, I helped with an impromptu search of our dorm's lawn for a diaphragm that "sproing!ed" out an unscreened 4th floor window - there was a lot of sympathy for the dismayed couple. It was eventually found, cleaned and fit the intended purpose Wink
|
12 >>