Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Crack Addicted Babies - Neurological or developmental problems ?

Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....
Can you tell me anything about crack addicted babies. My son is 11 now. I adopted him at birth and he was addicted to crack cocaine. What kind of info. do you have on this subject? Are they usually slower than the average child. Do they have neuorological problems? Any info. Crying or Very sad you can give me would be great!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 16th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
What I can tell you is that yes, anything the pregnant mother puts into her system goes right to the fetus. The satistics have proven that babies from addicted mother due have some abnormalities. Some very different from others. Some can affect the brain and sometime affect the bodily stucture as well. A drug a severe as crack, is one of the worst things there is for the normal development of a child. And yes, they my grow up having somekind of brain abnormalities. Some even deformitives. All depends on how much has gone through there system during the pregnancy.
So, my answer would have to be yes. There is a good possibility that you may notice some future dificulties.
You say he "was" addicted. At what age did this start? And is he still doing crack?

Carrie
|

replied November 17th, 2007
Carrie,
He was born addicted. He had enough in his system that he didn't start going through withdrawls until he was 3 1/2 weeks old and they lasted until he was about 9 months old. It was absolutely gut wrenching to have to watch. The biological mother said she used up to $1000 a day and for most of the pregnancy. He is only 11 so he doesn't use it and hopefully never will. He has done very well up to this point but I'm now starting to see him struggle in school with grades. He also gets different little tics and was recently diagnosed with ADD.
|

Carrie,
He was born addicted. He had enough in his system that he didn't start going through withdrawls until he was 3 1/2 weeks old and they lasted until he was about 9 months old. It was absolutely gut wrenching to have to watch. The biological mother said she used up to $1000 a day and for most of the pregnancy. He is only 11 so he doesn't use it and hopefully never will. He has done very well up to this point but I'm now starting to see him struggle in school with grades. He also gets different little tics and was recently diagnosed with ADD.
|

Extremely eHealthy
OK that' what I thought you meant. Oh yes, that can deffinatly have an affect on the brain of an unborn child. Tell ya what, that's alot of crack usage. I would be surprised if it did not affect his brain funtion knowing that. Hope did you find out. Did you know the maternal mother, or did the person that you adopted him from tell you. Les;t just hope this is as far as is goes and all he will have is the ADD.
My heartfelt thoughts are with you. I am here is you need to talk. Just Private Message me through my profile.

Carrie

Is there anyone else here that know someone who has gone through this?
|

Carrie,
I'm new to this. How do I private message you?
|

replied November 18th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Sorry I just woke up.

Just go to my profle (click on my username) and on the left hand side of the profile you will see a few options. One of them is (I believe) "Private Message This Person". Something like that. Just click on the and it will bring up the message box with my name already in the address area. Then a place to write "Hi or something, the the body message area.
Sorry this was so late, I had a bad day today, dizzy, headache. Maybe sinus infection or something.

Hugs,

Carrie
|

replied July 1st, 2012
born addicted to crack
My son I adopted when he was 22mons but i had him since he was 15mons. He is now 16yrs and he has the following problems: diagnosed with ADHD when he was 6yrs, is bipolar with psychotic freatures( visual and hearing) and has been hospitalized six times.
I don't want to scare anybody, my son was severly born exposed. He didn't start withdraws until 11 days. He was but on valium because the drs at the time thought he could have a stroke.
When I see articles that children exposed to crack and other drugs catch up and generally alright are wrong. Not all kids escape with their mental health intact. I love my son and I would adopt him all over again. He's a sweet boy but with a lot of problems.
|

replied April 3rd, 2013
Crack addict babies.
Both my grandsons were born to a crack-addict mother. She was my sons partner and not willing to seek help. One grandson 4 years is in the custody of his mother's sister and she has the other one 9 months. The youngest child is sensitive to noise, doesn't sleep ADHD. He hasnt been to a doctor about these issues because the parents are saying he is fine and they dont want CAS involved.
|