Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Labor and Delivery Forum

Does it hurt / painful when they check to see if your dialated? (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
i do have just a small ? for the girls that have ahd kids or have already been through what my question specifise on....

does it hurt or is it painful when they check to see if your dialated?
when did ya'lls docs do it

me and the hubby just moved here and my next appoint was schedualed 2 weeks from my last one which i find really odd for many reasons but regardless im 36 reading 37 weeks....just got my 36 week check up which was nothing really big just a regular check the heartbeat...measure my stomach etc. and my next one isnt til im 39 weeks dang i couldve already given birth by then lol.....
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 13th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
its not bad..
i liked it because i thought it could induce labor..and I was dying to pop her out!!

Its not fun but it didnt really hurt.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I find that it is just a little uncomfortable, not really painful. It gets to be painful once you have started to dilate. Like for me when I was actually in labor and they continuously have to check how many cm's you are that didn't feel to great. But than again nothing about labor feels great except once the baby comes out...lol
|

User Profile
Supporter
I was checked for the first time at 35 weeks because they thought i was in labour, it wasn't pleasant but not painful, in honesty i think i was more worried about the fact tha some man i didn't know had just walked into the room out gloves on and put his fingers in my vagina! While i was in labour i only remember being checked once and the rest is a blur
|

User Profile
Supporter
My doctor started checking me at 34 weeks. And then every week after that. I had dilated 1cm at 34 weeks but nothing changed for 2 weeks until they started inducing me.
It wasn't painful, just uncomfortable.
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
My doc started checking for dilation at 35 weeks (last week) and will be checking weekly until delivery. I was 1 cm dilated (hoping for a bit of progress at this week's appt.). It didn't hurt so much as it was uncomfortable. I didn't have any bleeding or spotting afterwards but did have some cramping (though I had been having that before the internal, so it's questionable whether the internal caused that).
|

Especially eHealthy
its not pleasent lol
it doesnt hurt though. its more uncomfortable and it kinda feels wierd.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Well, they checked me at the hospital last week and it hurt like hell-o! I think the nurse was just a bit too rough. It felt like she was freaking digging for something in there. I was like come on-my cervix is not that hard to find.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
it hust mefew times when they are too rough. and when i was in labour with Logan the male midwife checked to see if I was dilated I was 5 cm and he goes well I can stretch it to 6cm and stretched my cervix- OW!!!!

That hurt so much Evil or Very Mad
|

Extremely eHealthy
i cant believe they checked you all so early.
My doctor wouldnt look at me until 37 weeks.
|

User Profile
replied November 14th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
My doctor hasn't check me yet and I'm 38 weeks today. Sad
|

User Profile
Supporter
vanessalouanne wrote:
i cant believe they checked you all so early.
My doctor wouldnt look at me until 37 weeks.

It was because I lost my plug at 34 wks.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
hmmm thanks yall
|

User Profile
replied November 19th, 2007
Re: Does It Hurt / Painful When They Check to See If Your Diala
soldierswifey wrote:
i do have just a small ? for the girls that have ahd kids or have already been through what my question specifise on....

does it hurt or is it painful when they check to see if your dialated?
when did ya'lls docs do it

me and the hubby just moved here and my next appoint was schedualed 2 weeks from my last one which i find really odd for many reasons but regardless im 36 reading 37 weeks....just got my 36 week check up which was nothing really big just a regular check the heartbeat...measure my stomach etc. and my next one isnt til im 39 weeks dang i couldve already given birth by then lol.....

The 1st Dr. I had was in California and when he preformed my exam it was at only 20 weeks but that was to see if I could pass the baby safely I guess. It was horrible and I cried afterwards but I think that had something to do with the emotional intensity I was feeling during then, prolly from my raging hormones. I spotted the next day and had mild cramping for the next few days. The Dr. I was seeing was very rough and had very large fingers both in length and width.
I'm 34 weeks now and I have a new Dr. up in Nevada (where i moved a bit ago), I am due for another exam this teus. My last one was at 32 weeks and it was very uncomfortable but at least this time the Dr.s fingers were more realistic in size lol. What works best for me to make these go by quicker and less uncomfortable is to talk non stop until he is done. Ask all the ?'s you want during the exam to keep it off your mind, works well for me but then again I'm prolly the biggest baby in the world too lol.
|

User Profile
replied December 13th, 2007
oh my gosh, that was the worst part for me besides contractions, every single time they checked me or shoved a cervidal up there... Neutral AHHHHH sorry lol but it really hurt me!
|

User Profile
replied December 14th, 2007
Community Volunteer
Whenever I was checked, it was when I was in active labor. I don't know if it feels different when you are not in labor, but to me it was worse to be checked than pushing the baby out. But everyone is different.

I don't know why doctors do as many checks as they do. They should be less invasive and let us do what we know how. Some of the checks that are much earlier shouldn't be done because they introduce bacteria (although I can see checking to see if you have a competent bone structure, but even then I don't know how they can tell this by a cervical check)... it's supposed to be only when really necessary (like active labor to check progress and are you really ready to push.)

Oh well, I guess we all need to learn how to relax so it doesn't hurt so dang badly...easier said than done.
|

replied December 21st, 2007
I was checked 3 appointments ago from my Doctor, at 35 weeks, but that was because I told her I was starting to have some painful Braxton-Hicks contractions. It actually didnt hurt me at all and wasnt very uncomfortable either, it helps when you're able to relax & if the doctor is gentle and not rough. She told me my cervix was beginning to soften and that I was "a finger tip length" so Im assuming that she meant thats how much I was dialated? She hasnt checked since, but I think she might check again in the next two weeks to see if there has been any progress, assuming I make it until then Very Happy
|

User Profile
replied September 22nd, 2008
My doctor started checking for dialation a week before my actual due date. It is somewhat painful, but it doesn't last too long. Just VERY uncomfortable. I always thought to myself, that I better toughen up and quit whining because this pain will be nothing compared to labor and delivery!
|

User Profile
replied September 22nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
The first time they 'checked' me, it was to see if my water had broken (my amniotic fluid was low). Because they needed a pure sample, they couldn't use lube. They did it three times because they couldn't 'get a good reading'. Also, they induced me with cytotec, and couldn't use lube when they put the pill on my cervix (all 4 times). Have I mentioned I hate the hospital I delivered at?

It was extremely uncomfortable, but I wouldn't say painful.
|

User Profile
replied October 3rd, 2008
I was in premature labor at 31 weeks and it hurt when my dr. checked to see if i was dialated. It was very uncomfortable and i bleed(TMI sorry) i'm not trying to scare you but i want to be honest.
|
12 >>
Quick Reply