Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Postpartum and Postnatal Forum

Hips after you give birth - shrink or stay big? (Page 1)

after you give birth do your hips and butt shrink back down to normal size? or are they there to stay Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper young Girl
|

replied November 11th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Are you kidding? You are so tiny NOW you have nothing to worry about
|

Especially eHealthy
iridescent_opal wrote:
Are you kidding? You are so tiny NOW you have nothing to worry about

i cant fit ANY of my old jeans over my thighs right now and im just wondering if they will shrink back or not because if not lol then we have a problem!
i tried all of my jeans on today just out of curiosity to which ones would fit and only 2 pairs will still fit over my thighs
|

Extremely eHealthy
If you workout and eat right then most likely yes. You are young so your body takes things much better.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
It all depends on each person.

After my first child, I was able to fit into my normal sized clothing after approximately three months. I kept losing weight and ended up smaller. This time around...nada. My child is 4 months and I have just a few more pounds to lose (but a lot more muscle to gain). It will come off once I start exercising - at least I hope. I was on bedrest for the majority of this past pregnancy, so I will give it a little time.

Do you plan on breastfeeding?? That helps SO much!!
|

Especially eHealthy
i do plan on breatfeeding
atleast for the first 2-3 weeks

but we may alternate between breast a formula im not sure

whatever works out best for me and the baby Smile
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
My first one i only gained 20lbs, and i was in my old clothes with in a week. This time around? I'm scared to find out lol. I've gained 28lbs so far.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
i'm thinking the same thing suzy!!

Although i havent even bothered trying on my normal jeans....it would just depress me probably!!LOL

I hate exercising.....sooooo boring!!!
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
i was not happy that when i got home i still couldn't fit into my old jeans. before i moved out, i gave up and threw them out. i was a size 6-10 in jeans but now i prefer the way i am, a healthy size 10 in jeans and size 8 in tops
|

Extremely eHealthy
Your hips might stay a little larger because your pelvis has expanded giving birth but the rest is totally up to you to loss the weight.....
|

User Profile
Supporter
I'm afraid that if your hips widen during pregnancy, they usually stay that way. You can lose the weight you gained, sure.. but bones don't "shrink" after they've changed shape.

Your body should recover very quickly after the birth because you're young.. it's one advantage of having a baby in your teens Laughing My midwife told me the ideal age for a woman to have a baby is 20, so I'll be having my next one in the not-too-distant future!
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Why did she say 20? (Thats how old I am woot!) But Im just curious...
|

User Profile
Supporter
Daniella wrote:
Why did she say 20? (Thats how old I am woot!) But Im just curious...

I don't know, I think that's just the ideal age in terms of recovering quickly & the body being able to handle the pregnancy. Obviously there are lots of women who have children later in life, but there tends to be more problems after a certain age.
|

User Profile
Supporter
I've always had wide hips, i guess they're a little bit wider now but because i've lost alot of weight since having mika the fat that was on my hips has gone if that makes sense. In honesty Suzy your hips look smaller than mine do now so you'll have no problems plus you're dinky so going up a dress size wouldn't be noticable on you
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
everybody I have seeing having babies have gone back to where they were, breastfeeding or not. I can say about breastfeeding as a very close friend from work breastfeeded for long time and it took her many months to go back to where she was and she is still fat, but she was just as fat before pregnancy that way. My cousin just gave birth at age 30 and in one week lost all the weight, well that's because she has always been very athletic and she had 0 fat in her belly before getting pregnant. So the secret is be slim before you ever get pregnant and EXCERCISE to loose all that weight. Oh and I remember another coworker who had a flat butt before pregnant then when she was pregnant she actually got a butt to show and then after the baby her butt when flat again as an iron board like she used to be. You will fine Suzy!
|

Extremely eHealthy
Breatsfeeding helps some but yet again it is not a gauranteed weight loss program. My friend lost 60 lbs while breatsfeeding and my cousins gf lost nothing. It means nothing.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
yeah i'm not even about to try on my old pants right now. I would lose it lol.
|

Especially eHealthy
Hollyberries wrote:
yeah i'm not even about to try on my old pants right now. I would lose it lol.

lol
i tried them on and i knew i shouldnt have
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I'm finally not being able to wear my tightish jeans... when did you girls officially stop wearing your regular jeans? it seems my belly won't grow!
|

Especially eHealthy
Lilly Ivy wrote:
I'm finally not being able to wear my tightish jeans... when did you girls officially stop wearing your regular jeans? it seems my belly won't grow!

i could wear all my jeans til about 26 weeks
now i can fit a size 3
|
12 >>
Quick Reply