Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

Which is less painful: medical or surgical abortion? (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hi i am 7 weeks pregnant with a 2 year old and a 8 month old. And i was wondering which abortion method should i use . The medication or the surgical? Which is less painful? Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper red72cup
|

replied November 11th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Less painful is definitely surgical. You can be put asleep for the 15-30 minute procedure so you don't feel anything at all. There may be mild cramping and bleeding afterwards, but nothing compared to the hours of severe cramping and extremely heavy bleeding you get with medicinal abortions.
|

replied November 11th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
ACTUALLY...

Surgical abortion ONLY takes 3-5 minutes.

It takes about 2 minutes to dilate the cervix, and only about 90 seconds of suction.

You can be put to sleep or sedated, which makes the aboriton painless.

Not all clinics offer painless abortions, so you should definitely ask about "IV SEDATION".
|
Users who thank red72cup for this post: wendymbulo 

replied January 11th, 2012
Dialation or not
You only need to dialate your cervix if you are very late in your pregnancy. Its called a D&E Abortion. These are extremely painful. At least for me it was. The other surgical abortions that you get earlier dont require dialation. Also know that only some insurance companies offer sedating you for the procedure.
|

replied November 28th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Lol. I always overestimate the time the procedure takes...
|

replied March 28th, 2008
So unlike the medical abortion, with surgical (vaccum) method it will definitely be over, correct? No chance of it still being there or incomplete? Sorry to keep asking so many questions. It is just nice to finally find a website that is not aggresive and against all women's options.
|

replied December 25th, 2011
i totally agree with you..the women here are so supportive.. Smile
|

replied March 28th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
YES, pretty much with surgical abortion you KNOW it is over.

IT is also painless with IV sedation, and only takes about 3-5 minutes, where medical abortion is HOURS of painful contractions.
|

replied March 28th, 2008
Experienced User
Make SURE you get IV sedated. It can hurt like a you-know-what otherwise (it's not as bad as a medical in any case though).
|

User Profile
replied March 28th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Surgical abortion is definitely less painful. It is also more successful (about 99%, compared to medical which is only about 97%).
|

replied March 28th, 2008
That is so interesting to know because before today when I found this website I was completely under the impression medical ones are the best. After reading all this, I will definitely take the surgical option. Thank you all for being so helpful, I wish I could spread the word about this website to other women on the internet. It is so rare. Before this, I was finding informaiton on Yahoo Answers and everyone there jumps at anyone who even mentions abortion related topics.
|

User Profile
replied March 29th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
If you ever have any other questions feel free to come back. Keep us updated and let us know how it goes, and if you need any emotional support or anything afterwards we are all here for you! Good luck Smile
|

replied April 6th, 2008
everyone is different, i personally had a medical abortion, and i hardly felt any physical pain, you do however bleed for alot longer than with a surgical abortion.
|

replied April 10th, 2008
I work for an abortion clinic and have to say, although both surgical & tablet form are safe & effective, in terms of discomfort, the surgical procedure is the better option. You don't neccessarily have to be aware of anything & although you still have some bleeding & cramping afterwards, the level of it is not usually similar to what the tablets cause. It can be scary thinking of having an invasive procedure as opposed to taking tablets - but it is the quickest option.
Clients that have the tablets generally sit on the toilet & wait for the pregnancy to pass, which can take up to 24hrs. The cramps are similar to labour contractions.
I agree with both methods but personally - i would not have the tablets.
|

replied April 14th, 2008
abortion
Just stumbled on this site, I'm going for a medical abortion in two day's time, I'm dead scared, does this cramps start immediately or would it give me sometime to get home?
The best site for women so far!
|

User Profile
replied April 14th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
It really varies from women to women. I would recommend, if possible, having a friend or loved one come with you to the clinic to drive you home just incase if you are mentally unstable and need support or if you are feeling too ill and crampy to drive. Good luck with your abortion; I hope all goes well. Try not to be too nervous. If you have put a lot of thought into this and are positive abortion is the right answer for you(and you weren't pressured into it by others), you will most likely feel very relieved once it is over with and will be able to relax. Just remember to breathe deep and know you aren't alone and will get through this. If you need any support feel free to come back to the site and keep us updated on how it goes!
|

replied April 14th, 2008
Thanks for your reply penguinsRus, pls can anyone refer me to where i can get cytotec? Live in London and 7weeks pregnant, any help would be much appreciated
|

replied April 14th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You go to an abortion clinic, or abortion provider.You actually go to a doctor, this is not something that you do all by yourself.

Cytotec is NOT the abortion pill, RU-486 is.BOTH cytotec and ru-486 are used for abortion.

FIRST you use RU-486 which stops the pregnancy. THEN you induce a labor with cytotec, which happens 24-48 hours AFTER ru-486 use.
|

replied April 14th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
http://www.mariestopes.org.uk/

This clinic has a payment plan!!

You can also save up the money for a few weeks if needed.

Surgical abortion is easier and less painful than medical, as you are alseep or sedated for the abortion. Surgical abortion only takes about 3-5 minutes.
|

replied April 14th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
NHS covers abortion!!

You just need to see a doctor to get a referral for an abortion.

Go to your local BPAS or Brook Advisory Centre. They refer women to the NHS for free abortions whenever possible and desirable.
|

replied April 8th, 2009
Medical Abortion vs Surgical
For those considering medical abortion, I know the literature and pain levels seem very scary but believe my if you are early on it is worth it.

Yes, you get about 11 hours of continuous cramps....sweating and shivers and a bit of nausea but it is entirely manageable...

I feel more normal than my sister did after the surgical abortion, at least with medical abortion your body settle down gradually and is not awoken to a feeling of being robbed.
|

User Profile
replied April 8th, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
I would advise having someone there to drive you home if you were sedated or at minimum getting a taxi ride home, if you did the medical abortion I'd advise having someone with you just in case you experience too much pain or need help with something. That advice would be the same for any medical procedure that would cause pain grogginess or involves sedation.
|