Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Crown Popped Off While Flossing

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
Two days ago I had an old and defective crown removed, a buildup on the tooth it was over, and a new but temporary crown put on.

When I got home, I found it impossible to get floss between the back edge of it, even though my dentist tested it before I left, and was able to floss, though it seemed with a little difficulty.

With some experimentation, I managed to get floss through using a threader and thought I had the problem solved. But when I used the threader this evening, and pulled out the floss, it popped my crown off.

I was able to pop it right back on and it fits perfectly. There's no pain or discomfort.

But I haven't tried eating with it. Is this a concern? Is it likely to come off while eating? (I don't want to chomp on it and get it all bent out of shape.)Will food creep in and harm my buildup, causing it to decay. Should I take the crown off to clean it after eating? I imagine flossing again will pop it off just like last time. I guess there's nothing I can do about that.

I think I've heard of crown cement you can buy at most drug stores. Maybe I should just get some of that.

Should I call my dentist, or not bother him about it? For the time being that's a moot point, since it's Friday, and definitely don't want to ruin his weekend. I'd like to avoid going back in at all. The permanent crown is due to be put on in 3 weeks. Would that be too long to wait it out?

My main concern is getting my newly built up tooth all contaminated and decayed again, and maybe having it start hurting.

Has this happened to anybody on this forum? What did you do?

Idiopathic12/James N.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 11th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I would march right into the dentists office. i dont think that is something that should wait or have a temporary fix(unless a permanent crown is in the process of being made) You could wait it out. I personally would call and ask it it was ok to just wait the remaining 3 weeks. i dont see why not as long as you are cleaning really well
|

replied November 11th, 2007
Thanks, Dyan.

I plan to call tomorrow. I don't intend to be "outraged" about it.

If the dentist thinks I can use drugstore putty, then I'll try it.

My concern is keeping the "stub" clean. It was heavily decayed because the last crown was faulty. (My periodontist said it was a "food trap"). What worries me a little is that this crown won't work because the "stub" itself is too small to take crown properly, and the decay will just start all over again.

But I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I'm managing to floss without popping it, but I have to be so careful, I don't think I'm cleaning it very well.

James
|

User Profile
replied November 13th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
you could try a waterpick. that way you can "blast" food out of it. you dont have to use full pressure--you can vary it---no being outraged doesnt help----thats not quite what i meant. lol just follow the dr.s advice---Im sure it will be ok.
|

replied November 13th, 2007
I went in and got the crown glued back on, and I think everything's okay now.

A waterpik will blast out large particles and stimulate the gums, but I don't think it removes plaque.

This crown that replace my old fits very differently. Even the hygienist who put it back couldn't get floss in between the space and she tried and tried (like I did). I'm just going to have be much more careful and gentle when I floss back there, using a threader.

Hopefully the permanent crown won't have these problems.

I/J
|

User Profile
replied November 14th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
no it wont remove plaque but it would remove harmful food particals
|

replied November 14th, 2007
That's true. I forgot to mention I use a waterpik every evening.
|

User Profile
replied November 15th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
good---im sure you will be fine:)
|

replied October 24th, 2009
crown popped out
My permanent crown popped out while flossing. My concern is whether it is safe to sleep? Can it pop out while sleeping?
Is it okay to take it out for the night?
|