Medical Questions > Debate Forums > General Debate Forum

Where Were You On 911? (Page 1)

User Profile
Just about everyone knows where they were when the planes hit the towers on 911.
Where were you?
Did you watch the actually hitting or see it on the news later. What were your first thought?
How did you react?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 9th, 2007
Experienced User
I was at school, it was our last lesson and we were in the art room and our maths teacher came in and said that 2 planes had crashed. I didn't really understand it at first, and it wasn't until later I found out how big a deal it was. I thought it was just a plane crash. Not that that sort of thing isn't serious, just that you hear about it happening on occasion, but you don't usually hear of terrorist attacks and such.
I can't really remember how I felt when I watched the news later on or anything.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I was home watching the morning show. They showed the rerun of the first plane hitting, and I thought someone made a mistake and flew into the tower. While I was watching I saw the second plane hit and I knew something bad was happening. I watched the towers fall, and I cried. All I wanted was for my husband to come home. It seems like I had a need to draw to anything I loved and hold on to them. I felt so sad for all the people. As the days went by and faces came with the killed I cried even more.
I remember how silent the outside seemed when there where no plans flying. How perfectly still the sky was.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I had moved 200 miles on the 10th, I had no tv and couldn't find my radio yet. I had a job interview at 3:30. That's when I found out.

I had walked in the facility with my bubbly "I'm going to get a job" confident mode, and I wondered why everyone was so somber.

After I found out, I drove to a coffee shop that had a tv set up and watched. At that point, people were already desensitized to it and weren't watching anymore.

I was also immediately suspicious.

I did get the job, by the way!
|

Active User, very eHealthy
I don't know. I just remember watching it on TV that night.

Why suspicious, Birch?
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I have read alot of history.
|

...So? So have I. It doesn't make me suspicious of random things.

Or by history, do you mean 'conspiracy theories'? Wink
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Random?

No, history.
|

I can't connect 'reading a lot of history' to 'being suspicious of a terrorist attack'.

Could you condense your reasoning for me, so I don't have to slog through all of the 'Was 9/11 Staged?' thread?
|

Extremely eHealthy
Look at this thread to know all about Birch's reasoning

http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic101719 .html

As for me, I was working in Linden, NJ at a construction site for a power plant. If you were on one side of the plant, you could see the towers plain as day. We were all sitting in our offices and all of the sudden someone had a radio on and was walking with this portable radio all over the office telling everyone that a plane had hit the tower. We all instantly freaked out, and then one boss said, "Its probably just a small commuter plane, Its happened before" So we relaxed a bit. Then when the second tower hit we all really panicked and were glued to the tv and radio. They pulled all the construction workers off the site. At that time, we knew it was terrorist, and we were right between a major power plant, and an oil refinery and behind us was a fuel storage facility. All accross the river from NYC. They thought we might be a target. Then a bunch of us went out to the plant and watched in horror, the towers burning and the black trail of smoke that seemed to go on forever. We sat up there until the first tower fell. After that happened, they made everyone leave the site and go home. When I got home, I was glued to the tv for the rest of the night.
|

It's a million billion pages long. D:

Also nearly everyone on the first page of that thread is stupid. 'Do buildings like that just fall? Hello...' Well, no, they didn't 'just fall'. A plane flew into each of them. That kind of helped.

Oh, oh, and "My brother told me that Bush had them shut down 5 days before 9/11... I wonder what he was doing?" Brothers- The Most Reliable Information Source Outside Of Wikipedia!
|

Extremely eHealthy
Well you might learn something if you would take the time to go through that thread. And thats pretty rude of you to call everyone stupid, just because you don't agree with them. Thats a pretty juvenile arguement.

Read, you might learn something.

There is NO point to turn this thread into an 18 page debate like the last one. If you want to debate the theories, go post over there. We don't need to prove or disprove in here, just where you were on that day!
|

Especially eHealthy
Whatever. You're one heck of a paranoid person to start assuming that kind of "stuff" the day of the tragedy. I wouldn't want to be that paranoid.

Anyway... I was in NY (not NYC), highschool, Junior year. I didn't see the towers get hit, but around 11 I had lunch period. They had TVs on in the lunch room (which they did occasionally for basketball games and whatnot) and I saw two buildings with clouds of dust coming from them. I'm an army brat, so I instantly thought our president must have finally attacked the middle east again, or that it was some other random bombing overseas. It never occurred to me that those were OUR buildings, in the same state as me. It never passed my mind that WE, America, were being attacked. Who would be stupid enough to do that?

As lunch went on of course we all found out the truth. We are a school district that receives many students from Fort Drum (I was one of them). The middle school wasn't allowed to turn it's TVs on to the news because they decided those kids were too young to know, because some of them had parents in NYC. We were older, and we got to see. Fort Drum is the base that sent most of its troops to NYC. It is also the base that has sent the most # of troops overseas and re-deployed them the most. Why? Because it's New York's army base. They had involvement.

I had a few classes after lunch. One teacher said "We're having class anyway" and taught the lesson for the day. My other teacher (photography) said "I'm supposed to teach you, but this is history happening. This is our nation under attack. You deserve - no - you have the RESPONSIBILITY to watch this, as the next generation. This is what your parents have done to the world."

My father didn't get deployed because he was already in Kosovo, so that was a relief. We were very lucky. He got back, and insertion into Bagdhad hadn't happened yet. Bombing happened at the end of my Junior year. I know because we watched the tiny green lights lighting up the city during musical practice. I'd seen it before so I knew exactly what it was. I saw it during Desert Storm, and remembered.

We were scared. We knew war was coming; we thought the draft might come too. My closest friend said that if he was drafted, he wanted infantry so he could die as fast as possible, because he couldn't handle the military. I cried.
|

Okay, I agree. Maybe 'stupid' was too harsh a word to use. I'll say scared, then.

They're so desperate to believe that 9/11 happened because of their evil scheming president, not because there is something out there that hates them enough to hurt them, that they are willing to ignore all logic.

Or they're just trying to be edgy and cool. Whatever.

Terrorism happens. Steel heats up enough to become unsteady. Buildings fall. People die. There wasn't a conspiracy.
|

Especially eHealthy
You'll never win against Birch, and I've given up caring. Again, this topic isn't meant for the debate.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Exactly Eiri

This topic is not about debating whether or not it was staged or not...Keep that on the other thread...
|

Yeah, okay. Smile

Like I said, I don't remember much. I was twelve, and I didn't watch TV, so I didn't find out for ages. (Actually, I had no idea what had been attacked- I wasn't concerned enough with America to know what the World Trade Center was.)

We stayed up until the early morning watching the 24-hour news channel and waiting for a development, but I had to go to school the next day anyway.
|

Especially eHealthy
We didn't get school off either, but I believe for the next few weeks pretty much anything counted as an excused absence, so you didn't have to go if you didn't want to. I went.
|

Most Diplomatic Poster
i was in canada of course. i had slept on a mattress on the floor in front of the tv because i had just moved into my apartment. i turned (apparently you can't say fli*ked) the tv on at about 8 in the morning and they were showing the first plane over and over. then they showed the second plane hit and it was like everyone realised at once, including me, that this was no accident. i just remember going "ohmygodohmygod" and crying. it was so scary. they were still showing the people falling out of the buildings because it was all live. i sat there for hours by myself just watching it. i don't think i even had a phone yet. i remember thinking it was weird that they had those "attack on america" titles already when it had just happened. imagine someone working on that while this was still happening just so they could sensationalize it. like it wasn't crazy enough as it was. anyway, i went to my painting class because i wanted to be around people, but the last thing i wanted to do was sit and paint. we just sat around and talked about it. for about 5 years after that, i still got kinda freaked out when i would hear an airplane. i don't get scared now when i hear one but i still think about it.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I'm glad people are less cynical than I am. Keeps the country running smoothly.

Rodge, I'm sorry you have those assumptions about people. I wish that you would not draw these conclusions and then admit that you can't be bothered to read the thread because it is too long. You are very intelligent and owe it to yourself to at least be familiar with opposing viewpoints even if you don't agree with them. It makes you a better 'arguer' at any rate. Very Happy

Also, you may be interested in reading about the triggers of the Vietnam war.

Additionally, you were 12 on 9/11. This is not a knock against your age at all, but I had graduated from college. I had been to the WTC even. I was already suspicious of massive manmade catastrophic events, the gov't, and the media. We are bound to have different perspectives of that day.*

(*Please do not read into this; I am not trying to say "you were just a kid what do you know" but only that we are just bound to have different perspectives of that day.)

Now back to our originally scheduled programme...
|
Quick Reply