Medical Questions > Cancer > Colon Cancer Forum

Sore tummy pains near and around bellybutton - Gastroenteritis ?

Must Read
We burp, belch and fart an average of 12 times a day. But why do we have gas? And what is intestinal gas?...the basics here....
Intestinal gas forms from two main sources - swallowed air and bacteria in the intestine. Plus, learn which factors to avoid to decrease the likelihood of gas....
How much gas is normal? Usually symptoms of gas and flatulence are more bothersome than serious. But learn when you should seek help for excessive gas here....
User Profile
I am 27 and for the last 4 weeks I've had sore tummy pains near and around bellybutton, feeling of wanting to be sick, finding it hard to move my bowels but when I do, it's fast and takes the pain away. I saw my doctor about 2 weeks ago and he told me it was Gastroenteritis, which I was given some pills but it's not gone away. I am scared there is something worse going on. I am hoping to see my doctor again today but can you help in any way? I also have a fever, runnin hot and cold. I dont know what to do about this? I am worried.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 10th, 2007
Colon Cancer Answer A3425
It is difficult to diagnose abdominal pains and fever. Abdominal pain and a slight fever, for example could be due to an intestinal infection ... but the main symptom for any intestinal infection – diarrhea - is absent in this case. A four weeks long episode is also not typical for acute intestinal infection. But relief in pain after a bowel movement suggests that the pain originates from the intestines. A intestinal infection id diagnosed via microbiological examination of the stool. Several diagnostic procedures can be very useful:

1. Blood laboratory – blood count, sedimentation, liver status, kidney status, Helicobacter pillory -serology…
2. Occult blood test;
3. Ultrasound scan of the abdomen;
4. Microbiological examination of the stool.

You can consult an internist about your problem.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Colon Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.