Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

Pain under rib cage worse after eating

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
could someone please help? I have pain under my left rib cage and sometimes my left back kidney area. Its sharp at times and scary. I wont have insurance for a couple weeks, i went to the doctor once and he said it was gastroenteritis without even looking at me. Also sometimes have pain in right kidney area but not as bad. Seems to be much worse after eating. Anyone have a clue what it could be or something i can try untill i get insurance
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 24th, 2007
Hmmm
Most ppl have this exactly but in the right rib area, when they are having gall bladder trouble , I dont understand that its on the left
|

replied November 27th, 2007
Experienced User
It could very well be inflammation of the stomach especially if it occurs after eating. Because it is on the left side it is probably not an acute gallbladder problem. Other organs on the left include the spleen and left kidney and pancreatic tail somewhat. These could be easily checked with an ultrasound, and an upper GI xray can test for esophageal/stomach problems.
Hope this helps
|

replied November 22nd, 2009
If it feels similar to those painful stitches you sometimes get in your side from running...it's possibly a gas pocket. You can try drastically altering your diet for a week or so. I noticed when I go on a strict low carb diet---after the third day I rarely have gas of any kind so long as I don't eat any bread, pasta, sugar or milk. It's something to try and see if it's gas and if not then you can rule that out.
|

replied October 14th, 2010
Pain under rib cage
Do not panic, Its gas and acid, your gas and acid pain is caused by indigestion of foods that are high in carb, fats and protein.
Happens to me all the time. It comes and goes according to my diet. It hurts really bad in the weekends when I go out eat greasy food and drink wine with friends. The cure is: eat non greasy food, drink lots of water, boil or steam veggies should be your main entree (ugh), excercise and get enough sleep! No need to go to a doc and no need to buy insurance!
I should also mention that I always have severe pain when I go on long flights(more than 8hrs) because of the food and lack of excercise in the plane, therefore it is important that I take some fart pills before I get on the plane or 20 minutes before meal. I feel bad for people who sit next to me for 8 hrs LOL. I'm sure they curse me and would drop me out of the plane if they could LOL
|