Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Stomach Pain/pressure Just In Center of Chest Under Ribcage

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
For the past month and a half I've been experiencing an unusual feeling in my abdomen, I'm guessing the upper portion of my stomach. At first, I was feeling a lot of pressure just under my ribcage, just constant pressure. This pressure was worse when I sat upright; standing or laying down seemed to relieve the pressure a little bit. I was also waking up with a hoarseness in my throat, and often felt the need to cough (like an itching deep in my trachea). Went to the doctor (physician's assistant is who saw me) and was prescribed nexium to try for 3 months. I had 2 weeks of samples and then a prescription, so I'm about 6 weeks in with nexium on board. The hoarseness is mostly gone, I don't feel like I have to cough anymore. But the past week or so, the pressure is back. Just sitting under the ribs in the center of the abdominal area. So my question is--is this an ulcer? I stopped all nsaids late September. Is it a hiatial hernia? I'm not supposed to go back to the doctor for another month or so but don't know if I can wait that long. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper dpersing
|

replied October 5th, 2008
abdominal pressure
Did you ever receive any reply on this? I have similar pressure (no pain usually). But I'm a recovering bulimic and I think I damaged my muscles and nerves surrounding my stomache, etc (or whatever). I had several tests performed and everything came back normal. The doctor also thinks it's muscular but I'm still experiencing the pressure. I think I have to go back to the doctor. I'm beginning to freak out about this.
|

replied November 4th, 2009
Pain After Eating
I have the same problem - tremendous pain and pressure after eating. It's worse if I remain seated, better if I lie down. Digestive Enzymes help, but not always. I never was bulimic so don't know if it's related. I had MRI and CATSCAN. Somebody thought it was Celiac, but it wasn't. It also wasn't parasites. Somebody thought it was gall bladder but it's more on my left than my right. What is this?!
|

User Profile
replied November 4th, 2009
im curious, how do u get checked for parasites? i 2 have abdomen discomfort on my lower left quadrant daily, as well as having my abdomen distend, with some bowel movement issues. no pain in my stomach area though, but i do have alot of belching and at times where it feels like the gases in my abdomen gets stuck. very uncomfortable. i was diagnosed with having gastritis through endoscopy a few months back and i am currently taking protonix 40mg everynight.
|

replied May 31st, 2010
hi i no this is an old post but i 2 have this upper abdonimal preasure constantly 4 the past 4 months i had in utyrasound and xrays but drs dont seem 2 no what it is,did u ever find out what was wrong also i dont get any pain just this constant preasure feeling thanks
|

replied May 31st, 2010
hi i no this is an old post but i 2 have this upper abdonimal preasure constantly 4 the past 4 months i had in utyrasound and xrays but drs dont seem 2 no what it is,did u ever find out what was wrong also i dont get any pain just this constant preasure feeling thanks
|