Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Pseudoarthrosis, Atrophy, Leg Length Discrepancy & Pain

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
my child of 3 has pseudoarthrosis and not one doctor has helped i need a doctor that can help us she suffers with pain i went to 3 different orthopedic doctors, 1 neurologist, one says its the others problem to put it simple so i am not sure what kind of doctor to see for the problems. also she has atrophy in her leg and butt. also leg length discrepancy. PLEAS HELP IM STUCK AT THIS TIME. Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 8th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy (online)
I thought i had problems all i can say is in cases of leg lenghth discrepancy doctors often wait to see how a limb developes before perfoming surgery but in these cases they should closley observe and treat when nesseccary. It sounds like they want you to go away I think somtimes doctors ignore patients when they are unsure about what to do. I dont know what country you come from but i think your child needs and deserves some serious medical attention sorry that i cant help you
|

Experienced User
Where that pseudoarthrosis is? What kind of an injury happened that caused it? At least in my language it means a fracture that has not healed.

In many cases leg lenghth discrepancy is only functional.
|

Re: Pseudoarthrosis, Atrophy, Leg Length Discrepancy & P
daveynickerson wrote:
my child of 3 has pseudoarthrosis and not one doctor has helped i need a doctor that can help us she suffers with pain i went to 3 different orthopedic doctors, 1 neurologist, one says its the others problem to put it simple so i am not sure what kind of doctor to see for the problems. also she has atrophy in her leg and butt. also leg length discrepancy. PLEAS HELP IM STUCK AT THIS TIME. Sad

The Pseudoarthrosis is in the L5,S1. As far as i know she has never had an injury to her back all of this started about a few months after she started walking thats when we noticed her limping the limp got worse as time went on. Now she is not in as much pain or she just learned to handle it she only complains with pain about 3 or 4 times a week.
We are from the united states, oklahoma. We have state ins.
|

Active User, very eHealthy (online)
I think that doctors are reluctant to rush in with this type of problem as a intervention may interfere with a child's development sometimes growth probs such as true leg length discrepancy will resolve by themselves i know that they can be very cautious i do not know about Pseudoarthrosis though however i think that any good doctor would make sure she is being closely monitored if this is not the case i would search for someone who is more interested. sometimes it is not in a doctors vocabulary to say this is over my head i don't want to deal with it, your just supposed to read between the lines and find someone who can deal with it yourself
|

Experienced User
Take her to a doctor of osteopathian. Ask to check her pelvis and sacroiliac joints. Are the iliums in symmetrical positions?

She might suffer from ilium upslip that osteopathians call "superior innominate shear" that causes apparent leg lengthening, problems to lumbar spine like hypermobility, extended lordosis, etc. And it is very common disorder but unkown to (most) medical doctors.
|

Re: Pseudoarthrosis, Atrophy, Leg Length Discrepancy & P
daveynickerson wrote:
daveynickerson wrote:

The Pseudoarthrosis is in the L5,S1. As far as i know she has never had an injury to her back all of this started about a few months after she started walking thats when we noticed her limping the limp got worse as time went on. Now she is not in as much pain or she just learned to handle it she only complains with pain about 3 or 4 times a week.
We are from the united states, oklahoma. We have state ins.

Thanks for the help i will try that i am going to find some one to help no matter how long it takes so if this dont work ill try something new. I am trying to get her in with the shriners in Tulsa Oklahoma but it can take up to 6 to 12 weeks. she has shoes she wears for her legs but no one has helped with her back or with her mussels not forming in her leg and butt like it is in the other and im not sure what causes that unless a nerve is being affected some how.
Thanks for yalls input about her ant the help you are giving anything else for me to try ill be willing to do.
|