Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Nausea Forum

Getting Violently Ill Next Day After Drinking Few Drinks???? (Page 1)

Must Read
You've probably had a case of food poisoning at least one in your life...but what types of food poisoning exist? Basics on food poisoning here....
Not everyone will get sick from contaminated food. Learn who is more at risk of food poisoning, and what factors increase bacterial growth here....
How do you know if you've got a case of salmonella food poisoning versus e. coli? Learn the basic symptoms of food poisoning and when to seek help here....
ok, here's what has been happening to me ..Keep in mind i use to be able to drink like a normal person..
i'll have a few drinks... 3 or 4 cocktails of hard alchohol. or 5-6 light beers and the next morning i will throw up ever 1/2 hour - 1 hour, usually lasting 5 or 6 hours.. but this last time was the worst ever..it lasted
11 1/2 hours.. i think i threw up a total of 11 or 12 times. I'm getting ready to see a doctor about this but in the mean time, was wondering if
anyone has idea what could be the problem.
thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper lilkikiamos
|

replied April 9th, 2009
This same thing is happening to me and I can't figure it out! I was a bartender for a long time and drank regularly, woke up a little fuzzy the next day but no biggie. Now when I just have a couple cocktails I'm in really bad shape the next day! All day nausea and/or vomiting, runny eyes, shakes, etc. If you find out what's going on, I'd love to know.
|

replied May 23rd, 2009
possible answer
One possible answer is that your body has possibly has became allergic to alcohol. But I'm not sure I've never heard of that before but its possible probably.
Another possible answer is that is that you're not taking good care of yourself while drinking. Drinking can reck havoc on the body. Causing symptoms ranging from terrible vomitting, headaches, etc etc and ending in death. Its possible that while drinking alcohol your body is becoming dehydrated or is lossing too many nutrients which thusly makes you sicker.
Now for a third possible answer is that its become a conditioned response to the alcohol. I would expect this for you 2ogera being a bartender and seeing all the other people drinking and seeing how they act and all. Its possible that you may have had a bad experience in combination with a bad hangover and since then things have only gotten worse over time.
So thats my three theories I hope they might help you.
|

replied June 15th, 2009
I am having the same exact problem!! I started lightly in March with random nausea, now it's fierce the day after I have 2-4 drinks. I always eat while I'm drinking and drink water intermittantly. THis is terrible and I think I'll have to stick with club soda from here on out. I'm 33 and wondered if it had something to do with age?
|

replied August 16th, 2009
Experiencing same thing, seeing doctor in near future
I'm experiencing the same thing and would be very interested if anyone figures it out. I used to be able to drink normally and only have mild, normal hangover headaches the next day, but now even after only two or three drinks I'm violently ill all of the following day. If I try to eat, I throw that up too. I've been on a diet lately and eating less, maybe that could be related? I'm 25 and drink enough water.
|

replied August 24th, 2009
People who drink every day and then throw up can be putting themselves into very serious jeopardy. Your esophagus is constantly irritated by the gastric juices and can eventually rupture and start to bleed. That happened to my son and by the time we rushed him to emergency they could not stop the blood flow. An ER doctor told me he might not make it through the night. Praise God, he did pull through but that was one of the worst nights of my life. Please try to realize what you may be doing to yourselves and talk to your doctor's about this issue. It might save your lives.
|

replied December 22nd, 2009
sick 12hrs after drinking
sarah234, I have the same prob! I'm 25, drink plenty of water, hardly ever go out drinking. When i do, 2-3 drinks will get me the night sweats from hell then any more than that will result in 12+ of vomiting the next day. Sad Ugh!
I got tested for diabetes and its not that. Docs say just stop drinking, which i have, but woould like to know what had caused this, I used to be fine. Sad
|

replied December 29th, 2009
wow the same exact things all happen to me...i thought i was the only one, no one understands. i get that i can just stop drinking but i really want to know what causes this...it started about a year ago, i pace myself when i drink, i try not to drink stuff with too much sugar, and i drink water. im only 20 and dont want this to happen the rest of my life especially in the upcoming years
|

replied January 17th, 2010
I too have this problem, mine started a few months ago and it is very weird as i used to be able to drink a whole bottle of spirits, vodka mainly, with just normal hangover which lasted few hours till i ate, now if i have just a few drinks im vomiting the next day or early hours of the morning about 10 times, it is very annoying becuase i dont know whats causing it? Has anyone on here found a cause yet?
|

replied January 19th, 2010
vomiting the day after drinking
I have the same problem, lately it seems like beer is worse. I feel very full and constantly burp, looks like it might be acid relfux symptoms. I'm not sure why this would make me vomit continuously the following day. If I ingest anything (water, crackers, etc.) I'll vomit. I feel awful until I vomit, then relief for maybe 20 minutes, then hell until I puke again an hour later or so. I usually come around by the late afternoon or evening but I wanna know how to prevent this. The only answer I can find on the web is, "Stop drinking." Come on, I'm not an alcoholic by any means but I really love a couple of cold beers once or twice a week.
|

replied January 19th, 2010
You can add me to the pile of people who can't "handle" their alcohol. One glass of wine will make me violently ill. And yes - I used to be able to have a glass or two with no problem but I have never been a big drinker. Now I can't drink at all without at least a headache within 2 hours from a small amount of alcohol ~ 1 shot.
|

replied January 24th, 2010
Allergy medicine may help!
Hey guys...I am in the same boat. HOWEVER....try this!

I know someone who has sneezing fits if she drinks unless she take over-the-counter allergy medicine hours before she consumes wine. SO, I tried it. I went to CVS, bought generic Antihistamine and took two before before going out for a drink. NO problem the next day. An Antihistamine....try it!
|

replied December 27th, 2011
Be careful, these will dehydrate you even more when paired with alcohol...
|

replied March 8th, 2010
Alcohol Allergy and vomiting
Mind you I am not a physician here but first, DON'T take an antihistamine then drink...it's sedating effects will increase the effects of alcohol (DUH). As far as the vomiting goes...although it's most common in the asian population, there is a condition in which your body fails to properly metabolize alcohol. You intake alcohol and your liver converts it from alcohol to the acetyl alcohol form to a "sugar" (which is where it ends for most), but for others, it stays in the "poisonous" acetyl state. I believe it's a lack of a certain enzyme in the liver. It only gets worse over time...and I figured out real early that you just don't drink...unless you like barfing your guts out. And Hello...if you are trying to figure out a way to take a pill to continue drinking then you may have a bigger problem than just spewing. JMHO
|

replied April 12th, 2010
the same thing happens to me.....awful!!!!
well, you can also add me to this list. i''m so glad i''m not the only one...i was really starting to get worried. i''m fine with stopping the alcohol comsumption altogether (i think i''ve drank enough in my life to last me lol!), but like many of you, i still want an explanation.
i''m a 35, almost 36, yr. old female who also used to be able to party like a rockstar. i admit freely that for most of my life between the ages of 16 and 33 or so, i drank waaaay too much a great deal of the time, and also feel like i should stop drinking for other reasons (there are a lot of alcoholics in my family, so i shouldn''t push my luck). i''ve always been very athletic, but in the last few yrs. i put on a lot of weight, and recently got back into what may be the best shape i''ve been in in my life. i lost 60 lbs., and figured that had a lot to do with why i get sooo drunk/hungover so easily now. but the other night i had one margarita with some friends, and a TINY glass of red wine (which usually produces no ill effects) much later in the evening. i ate a dinner before drinking, and even had a few bites of some high fat, high protein appetizers while having cocktails, drank lots of water before bed, and was still sooooo incredibly sick the next day that i alost took myself to the emergency room. i had noticed that even before the weight loss, small amounts of alcohol had begun to affect me badly, but this takes the cake. i had what was almost a migraine, i was dizzy, i had seriously bad chills and hot flashes that felt like the fevers i''ve had when i''ve been sick with bad flus, and i must''ve thrown up every half hour for a few hours until i finally took enough dramamine to kill an elephant. i slept all day until i finally felt like i could eat and drink a little, and now today i still feel extremely weak and have bad diarrhea and a mild headache.
no more drinking for me, for sure, but WHY? if anyone finds an answer to this strange situation, please, please post it...i''ve always considered myself someone who for the most part has been in good health and in touch with my body and i want to do the best i can to take good care of myself. perhaps there are other foods/chemicals/etc. that i should avoid. thanks and good luck to everyone with this weird situation! Smile
|

replied March 26th, 2011
Another person with the same problem!
Hi there, did you ever find an answer/explanation to the alcohol problem?

Over the past few years I've been having exactly the same problem as you, I'm 32 as well. Infact everything you said was exactly like me - about losing weight and getting in good shape etc etc.

I went out last night and had 4 pint and have been vomitting all day with sweats, the headache from hell, stomach cramps and diorhoea.

Like you I know the obvious answer is to not drink but I want to know why I've suddenly having this problem!

Hope you're well and look forward to hearing from you,

Andy
|

replied March 13th, 2012
I believe this to be linked to Gilbert's Syndrome, which affects the liver enzymes. It is simply a syndrome and can be identified after not eating for twenty-four hours. A doctor then draws your blood to view if liver enzymes increase. This syndrome causes violent hangovers. For instance, I just finished six hours of vomitting, after a mild night of drinking.
|

replied March 13th, 2012
I believe this to be linked to Gilbert's Syndrome, which affects the liver enzymes. It is simply a syndrome and can be identified after not eating for twenty-four hours. A doctor then draws your blood to view if liver enzymes increase. This syndrome causes violent hangovers. For instance, I just finished six hours of vomitting, after a mild night of drinking.
|

replied March 13th, 2012
|

replied April 25th, 2010
This has happened to me twice this week for the first time ever. Thought the first time was just a bad hangover even though I hadn''t drunk that much....
The second time I''d only had 3 drinks and was fine, but didn''t stop being sick until 4oclock the next day and felt awful. I''m so confused?!
|

replied May 12th, 2010
I developed this odd phenomenon two summers ago. It was a stressful time and I started getting sick from eating a lot of different things or from drinking. I went to see a gastroenterologist and was told I had IBS which made a lot of sense. At the time, strangely, if I ate a bowl of ice cream at night I would be sick the next morning too, or a hard to digest salad might make me quesy and have stomach cramps. The worst was I had a couple white russians and was sick all day the next day.
Well now I have the IBS under control, but this alcohol thing still lingers. I am 21, have been drinking (unfortunately I guess) for years and used to have a very high tolerance and have a great time. Now I go out at night, limit myself to 3 or 4 drinks and am fine, go to bed, wake up and then spend the better part of the morning vomiting. I have tried eating, drinking water, taking anti-nausea medicine the next morning, giving in to the vomiting, trying to resist the vomiting, just getting up and trying to go out to start my day. Nothing works (in fact the last time I did that last one I vomited at the mall). The best Ive been able to do is just try to stay calm, let some natural light in the room, take a few SMALL nibbles of something unoffensive to the stomach and try to rehydrate slowly.
I want to know what this is because I love to go out to the bar or even just have a drink with a friend at college but my biggest concern is that I''m doing some kind of damage (more than just drinking would) to my body. I hate wasting the next day but I''m concerned that somehow one of those not-correctly-processing it theories are right and my liver is being taxed in a strange way..? If anyone finds out let us know!
|

replied June 10th, 2010
can this be to a new date rape drug out there?
|

replied February 11th, 2012
definitely not
|

replied May 18th, 2013
Why not? I got slipped the date rape drug years ago. I still felt drunk the next day until well into the next day. I don't remember whether I vomited a lot or not (this was about 13 years ago now,) but I remember the hangover lasted the entire next day and night.

Anyway- as to why I'm on this page, I am having the same problem as previous ppl. When I drink anymore, I get the worst hangovers imaginable. I usually just don't drink much anymore, but last night, we went out and partied way too hard. So today, I have a raging headache, and I've been vomiting ALL DAY!! It's 10:30 pm and I'm still vomiting up everything I put in my stomach. I'm getting worried I'm going to get dehydrated. When is this vomiting going to stop?!?
|

replied June 17th, 2010
I've had this problem too on and off but I find that it only starts if i drink orange or other citric fruit drinks either on the night e.g vodka and orange or if i have a glass of fruit juice when i get home or for breakfast. I can be feeling fine but as soon as i drink the juice half an hour later the vomiting kicks in and im in bed all day sick every half hour.
|

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2010
DRINKING and feeling horrible the next day
WEIRD... GoKartMozart, when I read your story I was in shock... Last weekend, we went to visit my friends grandmother in the hospital. On the way we stopped so I could grab a gatorade to try to rehydrate myself from the night before... Which I had only had 2, or maybe 3 drinks. As we got to the hospital I told my friend to hold my stuff. I ran to the bathroom and immediately I was sick. I started to feel dizzy and all the sudden I started dripping with sweat. I opened the door and started screaming for my friend, because I didn't want to be alone, i thought I was going to pass out. She came in and her face froze, she said Brittany your face is whiter than white and you're dripping in sweat. Surely, I thought I was dying Sad I'm 21 and a bartender and I drink, on average, 1-2 days a week, but not a lot. I have started limiting myself to 2 or so drinks. However, even after 2 beers now I feel drunk so I stop anyway. I went out last night and had two beers and a shot and when I came to work today at the office I started feeling it kick in again and I've been getting sick all morning. My mom wants me to go to the GASTRO so I will be making an appointment with them soon. I will let everyone know how it goes Sad
|

replied July 10th, 2010
Tremendous nausea after small amounts of alcohol
I hope I am not posting this too late for anyone to see, but I am on the same boat as all of you and would really like to find out what is going on...

I'm an 18 year old girl and used to have quite a high alcohol tolerance with normal hangovers. For a short while now, whenever I drink even small amounts of alcohol, I get nauseous even on the night and have to stop drinking before I am even tipsy in most cases, because I am so nauseous and have absolutely no apetite/desire to drink more because the mere thought of having just a tiny bit more makes me want to run to the bathroom and vomit. The day after drinking just a small amount of alcohol, I feel so nauseous and weak to the point where I don't know how I'll make it through (even if that sounds a bit exaggerated). Sometimes this lasts for over a day before I feel much better.

This is really starting to irritate me, as I have no idea what could have caused this condition. When I recently had my blood taken, I had my bilirubin levels checked, but as far as I can recall, there was nothing terribly wrong with them.
Is it regardless my liver acting up, or possibly my stomach? Or something different alltogether?

I just graduated from high school and I have obviously been very reasonable and responsible these past few weeks/months, changing to water and soda right away when I felt nausea kicking in while I was out, but I don't really want this to be the end to my drinking alcohol for the rest of my life, after all, I'll be off to Uni soon! Smile
Of course, that is not the only reason I am concerned, but rather for my health, as I have had Mononucleosis (chronically) multiple times, which affected my liver and spleen while I was actively ill with Mono.

I'm really quite concerned and would be very grateful if anyone has any new ideas. I'll probably be heading to the doctor's soon to see what they tell me..
|
Quick Reply