Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Constant Itching on Skin

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
I moved to AZ 6 months ago. I do not have psoriasis or any other skin disorder. But I find myself staying awake most of the by constant itching-head, genitals, legs and back. Is the problem too dry skin or sweat or something else?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 6th, 2007
Supporter
Are there any kind of marks where you are itching?
How often do you wash your bedding?
|

No Marks Or Scales
Wash my bedding every weekend. Lately I don't even go to bed like tonight I went in a 1Am and did not sleep so I got up at 4AM. I'm wondering if the hard water is causing the itching, it's worse when I get out of the shower and I took two of them since I got home from work at 1130PM. But the shower alleviates the itching for a few minutes up to a half hour.
|

User Profile
Supporter
Where did you move from?

I think hard water could cause the itching. Have you changed what kind of soaps or laundry detergent you use?

Is the itching the same if you sleep somewhere else, like on the couch?

The heat of the showers could be what alleviates your itching for that short while.
|

Change of Location
Moved here from wintery climate of Vermont. I've usually used whatever soap or detergent is available. I did not have this problem until I moved to Arizona in May of 2007. At first, I thought it was the dust from the wind storms in the summer but it has continued on into the cooler winter and seems to have become worse in how it so constant. It is almost unbearable but there are no red blotches so I don't have a clue, thinking of going to a dermatologist. The itching is constant but not as bad when I sit in my recliner or couch. It is worse when I lay down to sleep.
|

User Profile
Supporter
I would recommend that you try a sensitive skin detergent for your bedding and clothes. Also, try a sensitive skin soap in the shower. That could be the problem. Different climate can cause different sensitivity for skin.
If that doesn't work, see a dermatologist. The detergents and soaps would be cheaper.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Try putting up a humidifier in your house.
If its dry then that could be a reason you're so itchy. I have to have one going a during the winter otherwise I have dry itchy skin.
|

Both Are Good Suggestions
Already threw away the ivory soap and used olay moisturizer and it appears to be showing dividends. I'll follow up on Friday with the consensus.
Thanks for the advise.
|

User Profile
Supporter
No problem... I hope everything works out!
|

replied January 26th, 2009
Itching after shower??
I learned today because I have been itching for the past 4 months and now I have been itching constantly for the past 3 days! My lips start to hurt, my thrush is always coming back, UTIs Chronic Sinititus, Fibromyalgia, you name it, its happening to me!! ARRGGG!! But what I was going to tell, Learned today from my itching, is that only take a cold shower when you are having an episode!! NEVER HOT! I have no rash with my itching! So I hope that helps...Diabetes can cause itching, systemic yeast infections and your liver...Get a blood panel done! Dont stop until you get an answer!! (Im NOT)!!
|

replied April 12th, 2009
I had the same symptoms...
It turned out to be dermographism or uticaria. Which is basically a self induced allergic reaction.

My itching is now controlled, and livable, using antihistimines.

|

replied April 12th, 2009
I meant to say that i had the same symptoms
|

replied September 13th, 2009
Non Rash Itching With Antihystamine Relief
I started with itchie hands about a year ago. It started only in the evening, and sometimes it would seem to "walk" around my body. Hands, then forearms, then chest, then butt. We stopped using regular detergent and went to a plain variety with no scents, etc. Worked for about 6 mos, then came back this summer. Hands, butt (skin where it meets a chair), back of neck, etc.

I tried moisturizing, skin oil, etc, and it did some good, but now, after what I say below, it seems that the shower in the evening was more important than the oiling.

We went on vacation, and the itching went away. Came home and it started again. One night I tried an antihystamine, and the itching totally stopped after a bit. Total confusion. No redness, no hives, no rash, just itching, and an antihystamine cured it. I have never had allergies.

I had a really bad occurrance a few days ago, and for some reason, noticed that my intense itching was where the couch hit me. The couch is 9 years old, and now I read that there could be some fungicide in Chinese made goods that can leak out over time. I have not sat on the couch, nor have I itched in 3 days. I may be onto something.

Does anyone know any way of testing for this?
|

replied September 24th, 2010
Me too
I have this problem. No rash - skin does not look dry. Itch after a shower and when I go to bed. It also starts when I undress. Taking off my pants and socks get me started. First in one little spot then it quickly spreads. I use nail brushes to brush it away vigorously. It takes about 10 - 15 minutes of itching. Could drive one to insanity! I have allergies right now and a lot of stress. I'm guessing it's the result of one or both.
|

replied November 22nd, 2010
constant itching
I have been itching for 3 mos now and I can't seem to find an end in sight. I itch primarily wherever my clothes are, yet there are no bumps or rashes, just itchy. When I get out of the shower it usually gets even worse...I mean I itch everywhere when I get out of the shower (even the bottoms of my feet). I hope someone can help me with this because it is getting unbearable...
|

replied February 5th, 2011
constant inching all over
Ive been itchy for almost 2 yrs now. I went to a dermotoligst and my primary care phycian. I tried aveeno Dove lotions I thought I had scabies.
tthe dermotoligist took a skin sample and blood testto no avail!! Ive learned to live with it so far.
I itch on my back, sholder blades, sholders the back of my knees, my groin area. my thighs and buttocks.I would appreciate if anybody has any suggestions for relife.
Thx
|

replied February 5th, 2011
constant inching all over
Ive been itchy for almost 2 yrs now. I went to a dermotoligst and my primary care phycian. I tried aveeno Dove lotions I thought I had scabies.
tthe dermotoligist took a skin sample and blood testto no avail!! Ive learned to live with it so far.
I itch on my back, sholder blades, sholders the back of my knees, my groin area. my thighs and buttocks.I would appreciate if anybody has any suggestions for relife.
Thx
|

replied April 5th, 2012
constant itching
It's probably scabies. Check it out
|
Quick Reply