Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Singing In My Sleep

Hi

Hope you guys and girls can help me like you have helped others.

Over the last week or so I have started singing very loudly in my sleep. It scares the crap out the girlfriend and I don't understand why this is happening, it hasn't before. She describes it as 'groanyish but very long and loud'.

Nothing has changed a great deal, I'm a bit more stressed out than usual.

It's a bit odd don't you think?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper EmmaKnows
|

User Profile
replied November 6th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Do you have a history of talking in your dreams?
When this singing usually appears (soon after you fall asleep or in a middle of it)?
Is this happening only at night or also, when you are taking a nap in afternoons?
|

replied November 6th, 2007
Singing In My Sleep
you may sing in your sleep its completly normal. Others talk in their sleep. And sometimes people sleep walk (I do). And it isnt yet explained. But my answer would be you express your dreams more than the average person. Maybe in your dreams you like to sing, if so then its expressed. I know people that in their dreams they had got mad and someone has woken them up saying they were swearing in their sleep. I hope this helps you.
|

replied November 7th, 2007
Hi

Thanks for the reply's.

The singing can start at any point in the night, but it usually happens in the early hours but I can be at anytime. However, once I've been woken, it does not happen again.

I have been known to talk in my sleep, I'm a light snorer but this has all stopped since I've started to serenade my girlfriend in my sleep (she's an musician and doesn't really appreciate my talents Wink )

I don't have afternoon naps or any reoccuring dreams, but when I do dream it can be very vivid.

Life is a bit of a struggle at the moment, I do have a few financial troubles but generally things are fine.

Thanks for your comments catjack, a friend of mine is a loud swearer so it looks like these are linked in some way.

Any more help is apprecited
|

replied November 7th, 2007
Just trying to help Smile Its nothing.
|

User Profile
replied November 12th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Hi Griggers!
I think you'll find next informations helpful.
Sleep talking or somniloquy is often accompanied by muttering or speaking during sleep. There are times when speaking and muttering is accompanied by moaning, singing and shouting.
The causes for this can be anxiety disorder, fever, sleep disorders like obstructive apnea syndrome, sleep walking or REM sleep behavior disorder.

Has you girlfriend noticed that you are choking or gasping during sleep to get air?
Are you loud snoring?
Can you think of sudden awakenings to restart breathing?
Do you usually wake up in a sweat during the night?
Do you feel unrefreshed in the morning after a night’s sleep?
Are you experiencing headaches, sore throat, or dry mouth in the mornings after waking up?
Do you have daytime sleepiness, including falling asleep at inappropriate times, such as during driving or at work?

In a person with REM sleep behavior disorder (RBD), the paralysis that normally occurs during REM sleep is incomplete or absent, allowing the person to "act out" his or her dreams. RBD is characterized by the acting out of dreams that are vivid, intense, and violent. 55% of the cases are with unknown reason, and in 45%, the cause is associated with alcohol or sedative-hypnotic withdrawal.
Are you take some medicines like sleeping pills?
|

replied November 12th, 2007
Hi Mandm's
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Come to think of it, I have woken up a number of times gasping for breath and when I go to drink some water I cannot swallow it down as normal, I should have really mentioned this.

I do also wake up in the early hours and it's not nice, I'm almost in a confused state as if I need to do something (go to the toilet, move to a more comfortable position) and my brain feels awake rather than sleepy. I have been known to sleep talk aswell...

As am I out of work I manage to get some good sleep and I don't often feel tired in the day. I tend to snore loudly after alcohol. I do smoke cannabis and this helps me sleep but I'm no other medication apart from that.

The singing has not happend as much recentley.
|

User Profile
replied November 14th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
You are welcome.

Sleep apnea is a condition in which the airway becomes temporarily blocked during sleep and you'll start to choke or gasp during sleep to get air.
Don't relay on cannabis and other substances to obtain falling asleep easily and good sleep. It'll cause you sleep disturbance later.

Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied April 23rd, 2011
Sleep Singing
My daughter has sung in her sleep since she was a tiny baby. She just sang random articulations, hummming and ahhing until she was older and started learning songs in her waking life. It always happens right before she is soundly sleeping and she has no awareness of doing it. It's quite beautiful and although a bit odd, it's just part of who she is. We laugh when we think about what her husband is going to think when she gets married. She's 16 now and still does it. Honest, as long as it is not having some adverse affect on your life, consider it a blessing; a way your mind has of finding resolution at the end of the day.
|

replied April 8th, 2012
Sleeping disorder
I have a sleep issue that is worsening by the day. I have trouble falling asleep at night so I always go to bed after 1am. I wake up no later than 7am singing songs and I cannot stop the songs from coming to my head. It started off as singing one song that would stay stuck in my head for hours, but now I have numerous songs that come to mind all morning which makes it impossible to go back to sleep. Does anyone know what the cause of this may be??
|

User Profile
replied April 27th, 2013
i have been swearing quite loudly in my sleep and singing as long as i can remember, i'm not quite sure why i do but i would really like to know . I dont rely on anything to help me sleep and im pretty ok health-wise, i do have asthma and hay-fever but not sure if they can affect it. I dont wake up thirsty or with any symptoms here but my throat does start to hurt if i get too tired. Please can anyone help me understand this,
|

replied April 30th, 2013
You may try PREMIER MAG

Available in pillow pad, single pad, queen pad & king pad.
My Whole Family uses it. It really helps with almost anything! My husband had backache & difficulty in sleeping. With using this, he sleeps peacefully now. My granddad had an accident and was unable to stand for more than 5 mins. after using this for about a month, his condition improve! best thing about it, Simple to use - No time, determination or effort. Just sleep!

Primary benefits of bio-north negative ion magnetic field include:

Improved blood circulation
Muscle relaxation
Relief root cause of problems, not just symptoms
Maintains overall health

Secondary benefits which result from the primary benefits include:

Absorption rate improves - More effective absorption of nutrients, vitamins & minerals
Helps boost immune system functions - Increases protection from viruses
Helps boost regenerative functions - Faster recovery from wounds and illnesses
Detoxification of harmful substances - ie: Cholesterol, waste by-products
Relief muscle aches and pains
Promotes sound, restful sleep
pH balance from acidic to alkaline body constitution
Increases energy level
Strengthens overall body constitution through time
Prevents Magnetic Field Deficiency Syndrome (MFDS)
|