Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Getting Pregnant Forum

When Do You Usually Ovulate?

Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
User Profile
I finally have a 28 day cycle. My periods have evened out and it comes without fail by the 3rd or 4th of every month. I am under the impression that I will ovulate on the 15 day of my cycle.

So that means that if I start on the 4th I will ovulate on the 18th right? And to not get pregnant dont have sex during that week? Is this right? I am getting an IUD placed in 2 months and I would like to try this as a birth control method along with spermicides.

Any suggestions. PLease move my post if this isnt the correct forum. I thought you guys would understand the whole cycle thing though.....Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 8th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Anybody have any advice? I would like to know when I can expect to ovulate. Is there any sites I can visit or any previous posts I can go too?
|

User Profile
Supporter
try tracking @ www.fertilityfriend.com
|

User Profile
Supporter
is that method good to use not to get pregnant? The whole I ovulate this week so we can't have sex this whole week? Does that really work? just curious
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I have heard that its a form of birth control, but I dont think its very effective. But I am not sure. From other posts here it sounds like people really do it. I am going to try and use this method until I get my IUD placed. But thats my own decision. My doctor recommended that I dont have sex 2-3 days before and after I ovulate to prevent pregnancy. He said to pray afterwards also....lol. So I think it can work but there is always that chance. Plus sperm lives for 7 or 5 days....I dont know I am willing to take that chance. I will be fine if I do get pregnant.
|

User Profile
Supporter
well try using the spermicides as well as that method until you get your IUD. We wouldn't want any suprises!
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Exactly! I only ovulate once a month so only two time I have to worry bout this. Maybe someone can reply who knows about this method?
|

User Profile
Supporter
Yeah you could use some more feedback because IDK much about it! I'm TTC!!
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
It would help you too though right. hahaha ....lol

We each need to know when we ovulate and when to have sex.... = )
|

User Profile
Supporter
lol i know because my period is soo irregular. So it's hard to pinpoint my days of ovulation. I'm charting and still so clueless about it! It's very frustrating...
|

Extremely eHealthy
If you go to fertility friend or my monthly cycles, you can track your cycle. Fertility friend, is used mainly for charting your temps, but can be used for tracking your cycle. If you just plug in your last few periods, if you know when they started and ended, then those sites will give you dates when you are most fertile.

I would highly recomend reading the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility. THis book is good for both those who are trying to get pregnant and those who are not. Using the FAM method or Fertility Awareness Method is a form of birth control that is explained in the book. Its a great book.

Usually you ovulate 12-14 days BEFORE your next period. Some people have a shorter or longer luteal phase (period from ovulation to your next period) So if you know when you should start your period, then count back 14 days and that is when you should ovulate.

Im telling you...get the book...It is great for anyone who is trying to conceive or not.
|

User Profile
Supporter
is the author Toni Weschler? I looked it up on half.com and just making sure it's the right book.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Yep thats the one.

Look on amazon, thats where I got mine. It might be cheaper
|

User Profile
replied November 9th, 2007
Supporter
Okay I sure will. Thanks!