Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Chest Pain And a Gurgle? Pericarditis?

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I am 24 years old, I don't know if that has any relevence or not. I went to the hospital 9 days ago with severe chest pain that was also in my back and neck. I kept telling the nurses that when I moved a certain way, I could feel this gurgle, they wouldn't even listen to it and they said it was just a fast heart beat! ( as if I have no idea what it feels like when my heart is pounding!) They took a chest x-ray to rule out clot and said it was pluracy. I do not agree with the pluracy diagnosis ( although I do believe that I have experienced pluracy before ). I am still tolerating this chest pain after 9 days, but it is a lot more tolerable now.

- gurgling in chest that feels more like my heart or throat than in my lungs
- sharp pains that started in the center of my chest and raidiated to my back and neck. ( now it is mostly only in my back)
-when I lay on my back the pain is worse
-breathing deep/coughing/bending/moving made the pain worse the first 4 days (now its not so much)
-shortness of breath
- I am begining to experience lightheadeadness when I sing, or talk a lot quickly ( did not used to be a problem)
- the pain is on the left side
- moving to the left is painful
- siting up and leaning forward was the only way I could tolerate the pain durring the first several days.

does anyone have any idea what this could possibly be? I searched all the things that I could think of and either the symptoms don't quite match, or the hospital already ruled them out. Ecept maybe pericarditis? I realy don't know.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 6th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
When did you experience pleurisy(inflammation of pleura, a two-layered lining around the lung) before?
Were you treated?
Did you have lung infection (pneumonia or tuberculosis) recently?
Have you experienced chest injury?
Do you suffer from some autoimmune diseases like lupus or rheumatoid arthritis?
Do you have heart problems?

Sharp pain in chest and shortness of breath are main symptoms of pleurisy.
|

replied November 6th, 2007
Experienced User
I Think This Could Be It !!! Sound Alot
Costochondritus check ot out !!

Costochondritis Overview
Costochondritis is an inflammation of the junctions where the upper ribs join with the cartilage that holds them to the breastbone or sternum. The condition causes localized chest pain that you can reproduce by pushing on the cartilage in the front of your ribcage. Costochondritis is a relatively harmless condition and usually goes away without treatment. The cause is usually unknown.

Costochondritis (with unknown cause) is a common cause of chest pain in children and adolescents. It accounts for 10-30% of all chest pain in children. Annually, doctors evaluate about 650,000 cases of chest pain in young people 10-21 years of age. The peak age for the condition is 12-14 years.

Costochondritis is also considered as a possible diagnosis for adults who have chest pain. Chest pain in adults is considered a potentially serious sign of a heart problem by most doctors until proven otherwise. Chest pain in adults usually leads to a battery of tests to rule out heart disease. If those tests are normal and your physical exam is consistent with costochondritis, your doctor will diagnose costochondritis as the cause of your chest pain. It is important, however, for adults with chest pain to be examined and tested for heart disease before being diagnosed with costochondritis. Often it is difficult to distinguish between the two without further testing. The condition affects females more than males (70% versus 30%). Costochondritis may also occur as the result of an infection or as a complication of surgery on your sternum.

Tietze syndrome is often referred to as costochondritis, but the two are distinct conditions. You can tell the difference by noting the following:

Tietze syndrome usually comes on abruptly, with chest pain radiating to your arms or shoulder and lasting several weeks. Tietze syndrome is accompanied by a localized swelling at the painful area (the junction of the ribs and breastbone).
|

replied July 16th, 2010
gurgling in upper chest and throat? heart rate wonkey (weird).
hi, this isn't a reply but more of a questions for myself. im 17 and occasonally will have a gurgling feeling in my upper chest and into my throat. it usually last about 2 senconds and ends with a couple of coughs. sometimes my hear rate will get excedingly high but has gotten as low as 58/60 without any cause. i walk at least 4 miles at a brisk pace everyday. during my walk i can usually feel my heart rate excelerate for a few minutes then go back to my normal. sometimes the same thing happens while i walk it get slow. but these things do not always happen when i walk or am engaging insome kind of activity. i can be sitting down or talking to a friend or just standing. please help. oh and i have a phobia of doctors and can fairly easily figure medical things out. so if you have suggestions of things to do i can problably do it as long as it doesnt involve a doctor. thank you
|

replied July 16th, 2010
gurgling in upper chest and throat? heart rate wonkey (weird).
hi, this isn't a reply but more of a questions for myself. im 17 and occasonally will have a gurgling feeling in my upper chest and into my throat. it usually last about 2-4 senconds and ends with a couple of coughs. sometimes my heart rate will get excedingly high but has gotten as low as 58/60 without any cause. i walk at least 4 miles at a brisk pace everyday. during my walk i can usually feel my heart rate excelerate for a few minutes then go back to my normal. sometimes the same thing happens while i walk it get slow. but these things do not always happen when i walk or am engaging insome kind of activity. i can be sitting down or talking to a friend or just standing. please help. oh and i have a phobia of doctors and can fairly easily figure medical things out. so if you have suggestions of things to do i can problably do it as long as it doesnt involve a doctor. thank you
|