Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vision and Eye Disorders Forum

Living With Strabismus - Do Eye Exercises Help? (Page 1)

Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
Hi. I'm 23 years old and have been living with strabismus for pretty much all of my life. Throughout the years it has taken a terrible toll on my self esteem even though it really isn't that bad it is still a nagging imperfection that i just can't accept. My strabismus is only visible in my left eye. It's actually a very odd condition. If i do something that strains my eyes like use the computer or read, only my right eye will hurt but my left eye turns in. If i cover my right eye with my hand, the left eye will align itself and my right eye will then turn inwards. It seems i'm only using one eye at a time. That would explain my poor depth perception Smile I've been told by doctors that isn't anything i could do about it. My case doesn't warrant surgery and glasses wouldnt help either. They all told me to live with it and sent me on my merry way Mad So here's my question; Would eye exercises help with my condition or would i just be wasting my time? If they would help where could i find some effective eye exercises to do at home?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper lwatters
|

replied December 3rd, 2007
i have been living with lazy eye AND strabismus my whole life.. some days i really can't go on and it bothers me so much that this has happened to me. i never have closure and sometimes i wish that i had an internal problem instead of something so easy to spot it really has broken me down so much... i think what u should do is vision therapy ive never tried it but ive heard it does wonders ive had surgeries none really helped.
|

replied December 4th, 2007
I had two surgeries for strabismus when I was four and five. I also went through vision therapy and patching as a child. In my opinion the surgeries did not help at all, but the vision therapy did. I can say that exercises do help. You just have to have the dedication to do them on a regular basis (I practice almost daily). You may want to consider locating a behavioral optometrist in your area that would be able to provide you with exercises that would work best for your situation.
|

replied December 21st, 2007
Living With Strabismus
I still can't comprehend/appreciate how lucky I am. I have had Strabismus all my life until 5 months ago, I have cured it.

I too am 23, Intermittent Strabismus in the left eye since the age of 4 (not born with it). Eye turned in for various reasons, strain, bright light, tiredness etc.

Went to doctors as a kid, given glasses but being a little naughty bollocks, I never wore em.

As a child people noticed it, I got plenty of stick about it, as I got older i could tell when the eye turned, and when it did I would just go home and sleep, If I nodded off properly they would reset. No matter where I was, or when, if they turned I was off. Had uni, jobs, and everything else dramatically effected by this.

The 'leg it' tactic meant that as I went to uni etc, nobody actually knew I had Strabismus, I hid it so well.

Finished Uni and had to find a job. I went slightly mental here, something had to give.
went back to the doc/ optician to see what they could do. I couldn't continue the way I was, I was so !**@! up.

Anyway, sat through all the usual doc BS, but had done my research, I wanted Vision therapy or something similar. I was fobbed off........... again.

The difference this time was that when I asked for Contacts instead off the Glasses they suggested, they said it could be done but would be complicated. They had to do loads more tests to factor in the strabismus.

The thing that got me was that my eyes were fine at all those appointments, they did there tests but my eyes weren't crossed then..............

So i said feck them, they dont care enough about it, it's a cosmetic issue to them.

I went independantly to a high st optician and asked for contact lenses, just a normal guy, no crossed eye.

I thought maybe they'd pick up on it with their tests and it would feck things up but i was wrong.

Things went as normal as possible and I got the lenses perscribed.

My eyes no longer cross!
There have been a handful of ocasions when they have cossed whilst wearing the lenses, once in a blue moon, under very harsh circumstanses.

Where as before it was a 60/40 split between normal and crossed eyes, it's now probably 98% normal.

I'm saying this to you because it sounded like you have intermittent strabismus (not always crossed). If they are constantly crossed then I apologize, I don't know if this information will help you.

I wasn't born with this condition, and I for the most part could live a normal life. I never gave up hope that I could get rid of this condition.

I hope this can help.

I can't fully process the apparent ease at which a problem I have battled with all my life has been solved, it staggers me.
|

replied August 22nd, 2008
Hi I am 16 and over the summer time I accidentally bumped the bottom of my eyelid pretty hard and ever since then my left eye has been a little misaligned than my right eye. I quickly went to the bathroom to examine any damage and certain enough when I tried to focus on something up close I would get terrible eye aches, my eyes didn't seem to focus together as a team and I went through a terrible state of severe depression, I almost threw up in the bathroom because I didn't know how I was going to get myself out of this one. I talked to my parent's about this and they didn't seem to notice any misalignment in my eyes but I know how it happened and I know my body and I know that there is something wrong here with my eyes. The misalignment is only mild but it is constant and it is unbearable because school just started and I am having trouble focusing on certain things, and its hurts a lot when I try to focus. i'll get these pains inside of my eye and I'll get bad headaches. I have seen only ONE opthalmologist about my issue and he didn't see anything wrong and I had an mri done and there was no abnormalities in the brain and he did not see any signs of Glaucoma. Here I'll give you a full list of my symptoms.

1. Frequent Headaches
2. I can't read all that well, like if i read a book the words move everywhere and I have to sort of tilt my head to make the words stop moving)
3. Double Vision (Like if I look at a glare off a wall, Ill see two glares instead of only one)
4. I have seemed to have lost some depth perception because i think that my brain has learned to suppress one of my eyes
5. If I tilt my head all the way my Double Vision goes away

So my question here for anybody to answer is, Can I go into Vision Therapy to train my eyes to work better again and to have my eyes back to normal! Or have ANY treatment or exercise that would help me. Or am I completely done for and there is nothing I can do? Please send me some kind of good news I think my parents think that Im full of it and their not really paying anymore attention to the issue at hand. This is an extremely depressing time for me any kind of good news or treatment out there would really keep me on my toes!
|

replied August 26th, 2008
Try this exercise to control/synchronize your eye muscles: Look at the tip of your nose, cross your eyes! Hold for 3 seconds and relax. Then look up at the ceiling without moving your head, hold for 3 seconds and relax your eyes. Repeat 5 times.
|

replied August 26th, 2008
Thank you very much, now assuming you have read my whole story, will this help straighten my left eye out again with my other?
|

replied February 26th, 2009
Intermittent strabismus
Im 32 yrs old and having similar problem.Please let me know the some more exercise which will cure this.
|

replied April 25th, 2009
Intermittent strabismus
Hi, I'm 44 years old and am finally correcting my strabismus. I had two operations (one at 4, another at 7) and while it fixed my eyes cosmetically (until several years ago when my right eye started to roam again) it didn't fix the fact that I was only using one eye when I focused on anything (my brain had learned to shut down my right eye as a child so that I wouldn't see double.) Basically when your eyes aren't pointed in the same direction your eyes aren't seeing the same image and so your brain learns how to just use one eye which of course encourages the other eye to get lazier. I started Vision Therapy with a doctor in Charlotte last October (driving two hours each way) and now not only have I learned how to switch both eyes on at the same time but bring the two separate images together so that they become one (I can do this pretty easily now close up and do it automatically; still working on depth/3D perception.) The most exciting thing is not that my eye looks so much better cosmetically but that my brain at the age off 44 has learned how to use my eyes correctly again! Yes, it's been a big commitment financially and time-wise but well worth it! And it's not just about the eyes; my doctor who mostly works with children believes there is usually an emotional component as well and that being able to use both eyes helps with all kinds of things like decision making and trusting the world (after all if you can't trust what you see!) I encourage everyone with strabismus to embark on this amazing journey.
|

replied June 16th, 2009
Crossed-Eyes: Exercises?
I'm 27 and have minor crossed-eyes. What are some exercises to strengthen the outside muscles? Essentially, I'd like them to "pull apart". The exercises mentioned above seem to be for lazy-eyes, not crossed-eyes. Intentionally looking down at my nose to cross them, would strengthen the wrong muscles and hence be counter-productive for me. What's the exercises for crossed-eyes (not lazy eyes)? Thanks!
|

replied October 5th, 2009
Well, i ve lived with crossed eyes for almost all my life. I think when it comes to some state of crossed eyes nothing works anymore, the exercises just makes one worst and don't make the other eye any better. So now i do not know what i could do anyway to imporve this.
|

replied October 13th, 2009
strabismus
hi my name is karen im 22 years old i have lived with strabismus since i was born i have had 3 surgerys one when i was 13 months old and one when i was 12 and another at 17. my eyes are now straight however i have trouble seeing far away it has gotten worse in the last 2 years i cannt pass the drivers exam to get a licence because i cant see the line correctly they tell me to read out loud.i am a college studens so i have trouble taking nots in class for a long time i had glasses i want allowed to wear them more than an hr a day and my classes are each longer than an hr. this has had a terrble effect on my self esteem to most people i seem to be the happy loveing girl but instide i feel hopeless. i havent seen my eye doctor in about a year he isnt coverd under my insrance anymore and right now my parents cant afford to take me to another doctor but im afraid if i dont get help soon i wont be able to see anything. i dont know what to do anymore i am a college students so i struggle not being able to see the board. does anyone know any eye exersies i can do. ??? thank you for your advice in advnce
|

replied November 19th, 2009
Strabismus, exercises, short sightedness
Hey there,
Your history sounds a little bit like mine so i couldn't help replying.
Sounds like you've just got basic short sitedness that's not even related to your strabismus... (Does one of your parents or siblings have short-sightness?)

I was reading all these posts just out of interest because I've never really done exercises for my strasbismus but when i do it certainly helps. It's logical..Like with all exercise, muscles become lazy if they don't get used). Although you say your eyes are straight.. so you're one of the lucky ones.
Exercises for short sightness "apparently" can help but ...(read below).

However while reading these posts..my heart goes out to all to those with self-esteem issues. I realise i have wasted so much of my life worrying about my eyes.... when it seems that not everyone notices it or that it doesn't really matters to many people. I have a lot of friends and have also had some very nice boyfriends. This world is very shallow sometimes and becoming more image conscious.
I'm 42 years old.
I'd had strabismus since I was born, pretty severe (I was really cross-eyed) and I had an operation at 18 months and then at 2 years. Not sure if the doctors told my parents to make sure i did some exercises for the strabismus (as that's what i've been told my a friend who's a parent of a child with the same condition) ... but i never did any.
As I was growing up, I've had severe self-esteem issues... mainly due to being picked on about my eyes by my brother and some dominating nasty girl since the age of 3 or 4. I never escaped from it as a child and it followed me into adulthood that it was affecting body language.... which is the main off-putting fact for other people.

Anyhow I suddenly started going short-sited at the age of 16....and within a year i had to move from the back of the class to the front of the class just to see the board.... and even that wasn't good enough. I had to get a pair of glasses but never really wanted to wear them.. i got the cheapest possible ones. I got contact lenses as soon as possible (the cheapest type "hard" lenses that would last for years) I just didn't want anyone to draw any more attention to my eyes by being described as "the one is glasses" or "four-eyes" . My short-sitedness gradually stabilised enough at about 2.0 diopters. I had astigmatism too.
Only a few years ago (at 2.5 diopeters) i had laser surgery and now i don't have to even wear contact lenses. Best thing i ever did. Perhaps you can try that in a few years when your prescription has stabilised... but you should get tested. I don't know about your finances.. but i never could rely on my parents for money and so i worked in a shop while at college to pay for clothes, contact lenses, driving lessons, cheap car etc. i didn't want to miss out on life.
Well you sound like one of the lucky ones for having straight eyes now. Someone is always going to notice my strabismus but surprisngly a large number of people don't. I recently met up with some old school friends (through facebook) from when i was young and we have shared stories. They never noticed my crossed eyes or squint(and they are not just being kind) . Most people are usually feeling their own imperfections or looking at some other part of the face.
Some people who do notice it, even find it endearing (i don't.)
All i know is that when i'm tired it's more obvious.. so i always try and get enough sleep... also they become lazy when i've been drinking.
For strabismus I find exercises such as moving my eyes from side to side slowly and up and down (by following one of my fingers) certainly helps.. wish I could be more disciplined to do it.

As for excercises for short sightness, do be realistic. You can't really prevent the effect of genetics. You may be able to minimise it. I rememeber getting a book on from the library when i was 16 and it included techniques called "cupping". Didn't seem to work for me but then i accepted early on that i had probably inherited the short sightedness from my mum and there wasn't much i could do to prevent it.

general exercises for eyessight include relaxing your eyes in the distance and trying to focus on short distances and then long distances will help. Also minimise using a computer and staring at it for a long time. And try and get lots of sleep.
Sorry this wasn't a quick reply.
|

replied January 12th, 2010
Hi, I am now 21 years old, developed my lazy eye when i was about 8 years old. I believe it was from a scratch to my eye but the causes are somewhat unknown. I had surgery done when i was 18, for purely cosmetic reasons, since my left eye would always wonder out. However, my surgery did help me regain some alignment. But as of now, I have come to realize that like any other muscle, the eyes can be made stronger too. I have recently started doing exercises and found them to be working, such as trying to stare at the tip of my nose, or just focus on objects in general. However, i also have realized that too much focus with either eye still causes one to take over the other, so there needs to be a balance of power that must be achieved. This will come through trial and error. I believe exercises will help correct some of the misalignment, but it requires that you pay attention to how you're using your eyes at ALL times. Otherwise, the eyes may start to wander again.
|

replied April 13th, 2010
Infant cross eye
Hi..I have a 8 month old daughter who seems to have a inward cross eye. This is more visible when she is getting clicked by a camera. We took her to the doc who said that till now , there were no signs of squint. However, the eyes do become crossed occasionally.
I wanted to know what simple exercise can help my infant improve her eye situation?
Thanks
|

replied August 26th, 2010
I'm not sure about this but I believe that a exercise could be focusing on one point with both of your eyes (if you can) and draw your hand to one of your eyes while still focusing on the point with both your eyes, disregarding the hand. You can also switch your focus point in relation to your face so you look to different directions with both your eyes focused on what you want.

|

replied January 31st, 2011
This might help
hey guys this is a quite useful website: click on the one where it says eye exercise for squint. You have to pay 10 pound but i think its really useful to access those exercises. I am doing them currently myself bacause i also have strabismus. But i am confident those exercizes will help. They are intended to team up your both eyes. fusion exercises

all the best
|

replied April 20th, 2011
Strabismus when looking LEFT
My strabismus is based on the direction I'm looking. It gets worse when I'm tired. When I look to the left, my right eye drifts upward (see ascii art below). The further left and left-upward I look the worse the problem and double vision. When I'm really tired, it impacts my reading even when I'm looking straight ahead. I find myself tilting my head to compensate, which has caused neck and back problems over the years.

Are there specific eye exercises to help this?

Looking Left:

NORMAL:
( -) ( -)

ME:
( ') ( -)

Looking Up & Left:
NORMAL:
( ') ( ')

ME:
( ' ) ( ')

-Tired Reader
|

replied June 23rd, 2011
i am 26years old, suffering from squint of left eye, i did surgery in 2001 on my both eyes as my vision was becoming blurry and i see double images of everything, after the surgery my both eyes were 100% perfect and all problems of blurry and double image was removed and corrected,for the last 9years everything was 100% perfect but recently in 2010, my left eye once again suffered from squint, i checked my eye-side its 6/6 and i have no trouble of blurry images or double images, but still i am very much worried about my left eye, i lost my job due to squint recently because i was in
air-force, i have consulted doctor's but they say that they will be only able to correct my squint 80% and after a few years, you will again suffer from squint again, so i just want to know that what remedies do i have know, should i go again for surgery or wear glasses or do eye exercises? waiting for your sincere reply.
|

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2011
Help, needing a friend!
Hey im 16 years old and wanting to have surgery done for my squint, but my parents and i are really scared something will go wrong but i cant go on like this at all i dread everyday and i want it over with, please canitalk to someone whos got the same thing ? I'd love to hear your response, or PM me.
|
12 >>