Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Redundant Colon --- how to treat?

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
I was just recently told by my doctor tht I had a redundant colon. This happen after I couldn't move my bowels for over a month. I have taken laxitives, had a barium enema, as well as visiting the local ER. Now I am being sent to a Surgeon who they say will make the last step. With the family history of bowel problems they say that they are taking it a little bit more serious. I just want to know how others have been treated?
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Users who thank ladybluedevils13 for this post: alto93 

replied December 10th, 2007
Tar Stool
My father was just admitted to the hospital because of his stool condition. They called it Tar stool can you give me any information on this. My father says it is becausse he must have internal bleeding. Could this be true.
|

replied September 24th, 2008
Treatment for redundant colon and related consequences
I have had bowel problems since my youth, probably resulting from congenital deformity. At age 65 and a life of hell and not knowing why I felt as badly as I did, I have had diagnoses of redundant colon, severe acid reflux, hitatal hernia, megacolon. Whatever the cause, I do not eliminate for weeks at a time and could get no doctor to take me seriously. I have tried every new and old product on the market, even driving to Canada years ago to get Propulsid and have taken Zelnorm, Amitiza, all kinds of laxatives, stool softeners, Milk of Magnesia, Miralax. Nothing has worked and anything I eat just lays there, no peristalsis. I finally, while living in Michigan, began having the colonic irrigations and have stayed alive for decades doing these. I bought a home unit which I can not find replacement parts for now, and the unit is full of bacteria and fallling apart. When this last way to eliminate falls completely apart, I guess I will just die here in NC. My doctors do not take the asthmatic episodes, systemic yeast causing multilple symptoms seriously. I am weary with trying to stay alive, I want the colon removed in part or in total--I can't travel(I don't have any regular bowel movements), I don't socialize, my nerves are so bad from the autointoxication and yeast symptoms and I have quit work and am in jeopardy of losing everything. If anyone knows a surgeon who would be willing to help me do the resectioning or has some miracle cure, please reply and let me know. I am at my wit's end and I do want to live and be a part of this world. Desperately looking for help and thankful for any, Kay
|

replied July 6th, 2012
Hope this helps
I have been goIng through the same kind of thing. Doctors that just r ass's. Finely I am seeing a GI doctor who is running more tests. I just had the colon x ray with barium waiting for results but I saw a loop a kink and was told that my defending colon is really long. I to had to do ennmas for ever. Found that I can get a bOx of 100 bisacodal suppositorys for $25 it is the only thing working right now. I would rather change a poop bag then be alive and not living. Hell even getting to doctors sucks ass and the pain above my ovary is getting so bad. Like a water ballon in my sigmoid colon. Best bet find a GI doctor who is willing to hold ur hand through the long walk. One who will order tests and look at the films him/her self rather then just read reports. I think hafe th battle is knowing u matter to a doctor rather then we know what's wrong and I do not want to help u. Witch is what they were telling me and they were wrong about what was wrong. Then they found something and did no more tests nor medication did not even tell me I was supposta follow up with my doctor. I think they know I can take them to court. That's why I changed to there competes. A profit clinic who will take medicares money and not think twice about it. Sorry things r so hard for u, it makes me cry thinking anyone would have to deal with what I do. I welcome death as u do and I am only 39. God bless u and I will pray u too can find hope. Anything to hold onto. God bless. Sheila
|

replied June 14th, 2010
Response to digestive issue
Kay, contact me to discuss - happy to speak with you about some effective treatments.
Sincerely, Cari
|

replied June 14th, 2010
Kay, contact me to discuss - happy to speak with you about some effective treatments. 602.538.5587
Sincerely, Cari
|
Tags: barium, enema
Quick Reply