Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Intestinal Disorders Forum

Diagnosis Needed - Anal Discomfort And Internal Itching...

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
Just wondering if anyone can help with a potential diagnosis, or at least something else to explore..

For the last couple of months I've been having an itching, throbbing crawling sensation just inside my anus (I think, though it might go further in than that - difficult to judge!). It's not the type of itch that gives me a desire to scratch it because it feels internal, rather than on the surface of the skin. It's much worse when I've been sitting down for a period of time and can go away almost completely if I'm stood up or walking around for a little while. It doesn't keep me awake at night because once I'm lying down, it gradually eases off (though it takes a while) and it's not there immediately when I wake up in the morning.

I've tried various creams - lanacane, 2 different steroid/antifungal & bacterial creams (one strong and one less strong - both prescribed by a doctor) and it has sometimes gone away for a period or a week or two before returning. During the last week there has been two days on which I've had serveral loose bowel movements - not sure if co-incidence or connected to the itch/throb.

I'm often prone to stress related ailments (I've had palpitations/heart flutters and tight/lumpy throat in the past) but haven't been suffering with these recently, though admittedly my life has been busy and I've been a bit run down (2 colds in 2 weeks!). However, I spent the first 2 or 3 weeks ignoring this and putting it down to stress and at the moment it's worse than ever. The first Dr I saw said it wasn't haemorraoids, though he didn't put much time or effort into speaking/seeing me to be honest so not sure.

Can anyone help? Has anyone got any ideas of what this could be or suffering with anything similar? Could I be allergic to something I'm eating? It's driving me crazy and really starting to get me down... Sad

Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper andimcdowell
|
Users who thank frontdoor for this post: mala2007 

replied December 18th, 2007
Anal Discomfort
Did you ever find out anything? I've been having these same symptons for about a month. I had a physical, and my doctor examined me for prostate enlargement and hemorrhoids, but said he didn't see anything abnormal. Let me know!
|

User Profile
replied December 18th, 2007
Community Volunteer
Well, to be honest, that's all this sounds like. Try some suppositories, they have natural ones if you're afraid of that, and see what happens.
|

replied February 25th, 2008
Anal itching sometimes is quite hard to diagnose
and can be quite perplexing as to the source.
It could just be idiosyncratic, which means they
don't really know the cause.

I too get it once in a while, but I think mine is partly
due to a small anal tag, maybe left over from the
previous hemorrhoid surgery a few years ago.

Stress can be a factor too, as could perhaps sitting
around for too long.

You could try a sitz bath. Don't use ordinary sea salt crystals.
The common fine processed table salt is even worse.
Use Dead Sea salt crystals, mostly from Jordan, which you
can get in health food stores. Do it at least twice a day,
20 minutes at a time. Make sure the water is quite warm.

I've heard those Himalayan rock salts work well too.

You could also try rubbing some emu oil in and around the
area. Try dabbing a generous amount of oil on your finger
and pushing it half an inch or so. Black seed oil, which can
also be found at health food stores, can also be tried.

As for creams, some of those homeopathic creams for hemorrhoids
such as those by Nature's Answer and Nelson's may also help.

You could also try Hemorrhol cream by Life-Flo, which I
am using for my hemorrhoids (one of which has already
grown back just a few years after surgery).

Perhaps you could also consult a colorectal surgeon or
gastroenterologist ?
|

replied April 17th, 2008
itching
it seems like something moving around inside the area. I will try a remedy. but can anyone tell me that how injrious and dangerous it is for health?
|

User Profile
replied April 17th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Just make sure you research thoroughly any possible complications of remedies you try, though natural stuff tends to be free of this. Adding curry, tumeric or cayenne to you diet (or through natural capsules, which are easy to find and take) may help as well.
|

replied July 11th, 2008
Re: itching
mistermindfull wrote:
it seems like something moving around inside the area. I will try a remedy. but can anyone tell me that how injrious and dangerous it is for health?

OMG! I'm sorry, you're having this trouble, but you don't know how happy you have made me!!

I don't know where else to look for answers! I didn't know how to describe the 'problem' ! Embarassed

It's as if my 'bum hole' is in labour! It's 'throbbing/pulsing' etc Sad especially when sitting down

We've still no answers, but at least we are not alone!
|

replied March 14th, 2009
re: itching
My son is having the same problem, and he is being tested for pinworms. They are threadlike small worms that live in your intestines, and at night come out to lay eggs on the outside of your anus. That is what causes the itching. Google "pinworms" and you will find all the info you need. Then go to the doctor, and tell him you would like to be tested for pinworms. It's a 3 day test, that has to be done consecutively. You will receive three vials with a sticky paddle inside. You have to use the sticky paddle to try to pick up any eggs that are around your anus. This should be done in the middle of the night, or first thing in the morning before you do anything. The doctor said it may also just be a fungal infection, so he is using an anti-fungal cream also. We should find out next week if he has pinworms. Good luck!!
|

replied February 9th, 2010
I put mine down to stress eventually, tried to ignore it and it went away. If the syptoms are only at night, worms is a likely cause (see post above) but mine was all the time. I tend to get some strange stress symptoms (see my posts on palpitations) and this happened around the time I was buying a house, so stress fits.

Good luck everyone Smile
|

replied March 16th, 2010
Anal itch?

Anal or rectal itching (Pruritus ani) is a common ailment many people suffer from. The main symptom is the irritation of the skin at the exit of the rectum, known as the anus, causing the desire to scratch. The intensity of anal or rectal itching increases from moisture, pressure, and rubbing caused by clothing and sitting. At worst, anal itching causes intolerable discomfort that often is accompanied by burning and soreness. Anal or rectal itching can be caused by irritating chemicals in the foods we eat, such as spices, hot sauces, and peppers. Other problems that cause anal or rectal itching include pinworms, hemorrhoids and tears of the anal skin (fissures). (Source - Mayo Clinic report)
|

replied April 28th, 2011
Everyone on this post please listen to me, I have the same problem, profuse itching of my lower intestines, ulcerated colitis, low hackey cough (dry) and I found it to be a wheat allergy. I suffered for years before I figured it out. It is not easy to go on a wheat free diet, but the food industry has recognized this to be a very real problem and has started producing foods to make this a bit easier for us. I cook real food and what I mean by that is look at a food and say that is corn, potato, egg, chicken eggplant, fish, almonds just real food that I prepare myself. This way I know what goes into my body...NO WHEAT!! I promise in 5 days you will feel better!!!
|

replied January 11th, 2013
Hemorrhoid treatment internal/external
I had the same problem internal and external with slight bleeding. 3 trips to a proctologist who did nothing.Diag anal fissure. Prescribed a nitroglycerin ointment.No real relief. He seemed to be reluctant to do anything!!!!
Finally I decided to use a rubber glove or finger cot and inserted a very pure emu oil about one inch intrarectally.2 or 3 times a day.Just a small amount about the size of a bean. Before and after BM. Very good results no pain, no bleeding so far. very warm sitz baths also.I have not read any side effects of using emu oil i this manner.
|