Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Nausea/vomiting 5 Yrs After Rny Gastric Bypass Surgery (Page 1)

Must Read
We burp, belch and fart an average of 12 times a day. But why do we have gas? And what is intestinal gas?...the basics here....
Intestinal gas forms from two main sources - swallowed air and bacteria in the intestine. Plus, learn which factors to avoid to decrease the likelihood of gas....
How much gas is normal? Usually symptoms of gas and flatulence are more bothersome than serious. But learn when you should seek help for excessive gas here....
I am a bit more than 5 years post-op and have suddenly developed persistent unexplained nausea with some vomiting that is unlike previous post-op experience. I have lost about 20 pounds in 6 or 7 weeks involuntarily although I am not in the weightloss phase any longer. I have also recently (6 months ago) had incisional hernia repair surgery over the site. A new large hernia is visible to the left now of the incision scar. My daily life is affected... although sometimes I am okay in the same day I frequently become sick enough to keep me home. Eating seems to make the nausea worse. It is not dumping syndrome with which I am already familiar with. CAN YOU HELP ME FIGURE OUT WHAT IS GOING ON?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper shan33alli
|

replied November 18th, 2007
Nausea/vomiting After Gastric Bypass Surgery
I to am a gastric bypass patient and had mine 4/12/04. since then i have had 16 surgeries. i also have vomiting continuously as well as left side pain. Have you checked w/ your doctor that did the surgery? You may have a bowel obstruction which would give u the vomiting and nausea feeling and can make u very very sick. I take phenergen several times a day to control the nausea after we rule out everything else. Definately consult your surgeon! Good luck!
|

replied February 21st, 2012
I had the Roux-en-y surgery back in 1995, it's pretty much ruined my life. I have every single side effect mentioned for this surgery. The dumping syndrome screwed up my heart, I still have it 17 years later! My body absorbs nothing but fats, no vitamins, no proteins, no nothing it needs. Have constant anemia, hernias, ulcers, dehydration, the works! I have very little hair left on my head, no energy at all, and I'm still fat. Drank wine for six years, quit, problems escalated. I'm at the point where I don't want to wake up in the morning. At deaths door with no medical insurance.
|

replied November 18th, 2007
Nausea/vomiting After Gastric Bypass Surgery
I to am a gastric bypass patient and had mine 4/12/04. since then i have had 16 surgeries. i also have vomiting continuously as well as left side pain. Have you checked w/ your doctor that did the surgery? You may have a bowel obstruction which would give u the vomiting and nausea feeling and can make u very very sick. I take phenergen several times a day to control the nausea after we rule out everything else. Definately consult your surgeon! Good luck!
|

replied May 12th, 2013
I understand how you feel. I had Lapband placed 6/07. I got to my goal, but was sick foaming, vomiting & gained back 1/3 of weight I lost with band. I converted to gastric 10/11. I was so nauseous for first 3 months. that finally passed. For last 6+ months, I vomit almost daily. I can eat same thing one day, and another day I vomit it. I'm so frustrated, and so sick of being sick. I was 274 lbs before Lapland. I went down to 180 lbs, then 3 yrs later packed on 38lbs bc I was eating things that slid past Lapland. I was 218lbs pre op gastric. I'm down to 165lbs. I look better than I have in 25 yrs, I'm a 51 yr old female. I'm also a nurse, & I can't seem to grasp what my stomach is telling me. I feel such hunger pains, and yet I need to vomit to feel better. I chose this route, & wonder sometimes if I was better off fat. My bro is going in for gastric tomorrow, I support decision, but he thinks this is easy way to lose weight. My sis& cuz also had gastric, & niece had lapband. I need to go have endoscopy and colonoscopy while I'm at it, bc something is not right. Suffering everyday like this is ridiculous. I'm not in control of my life, the gastric has all the power. My sis is 6 yrs out & has never vomited. Any sharing of info would be so appreciated. Blessings, E
|

replied May 12th, 2013
I understand how you feel. I had Lapband placed 6/07. I got to my goal, but was sick foaming, vomiting & gained back 1/3 of weight I lost with band. I converted to gastric 10/11. I was so nauseous for first 3 months. that finally passed. For last 6+ months, I vomit almost daily. I can eat same thing one day, and another day I vomit it. I'm so frustrated, and so sick of being sick. I was 274 lbs before Lapland. I went down to 180 lbs, then 3 yrs later packed on 38lbs bc I was eating things that slid past Lapland. I was 218lbs pre op gastric. I'm down to 165lbs. I look better than I have in 25 yrs, I'm a 51 yr old female. I'm also a nurse, & I can't seem to grasp what my stomach is telling me. I feel such hunger pains, and yet I need to vomit to feel better. I chose this route, & wonder sometimes if I was better off fat. My bro is going in for gastric tomorrow, I support decision, but he thinks this is easy way to lose weight. My sis& cuz also had gastric, & niece had lapband. I need to go have endoscopy and colonoscopy while I'm at it, bc something is not right. Suffering everyday like this is ridiculous. I'm not in control of my life, the gastric has all the power. My sis is 6 yrs out & has never vomited. Any sharing of info would be so appreciated. Blessings, E
|

replied April 18th, 2010
Nausea/vomiting Post RNY gastric bypass
Hello, I had my RNY gastric bypass 7-29-2002. I never had much trouble at the beginning, but at the 5th yr post-op, I began having nausea, vomiting and lost 30 extra pounds without trying. I was so used to vomiting, that even when I felt fine (in the stomach) and went to the restroom to "tinkle" I would begin gagging just at the sight of the toilet. I went to my local gastroenterologist, he performed an EGD (that''s when they knock you out, and put a scope down your esophagus and look at your stomach). He learned that I had an ulcer (which was right next to the opening to my stomach outlet) and he also learned that I had developed scar tissue that closed up the stoma so tightly that I was having trouble swallowing clear liquids. He did a balloon dilation (very small dilation) and cured the ulcer and then within the course of the next year, he dilated the scar tissue 3-4 times. Finally, he used the balloon to pop open the scar tissue and sadly, I gained 30 pounds back, but the nausea and vomiting subsided. This was 2 yrs ago and now I am having some intermittent vomiting again. Maybe I can lost the 30 pounds again then go in for a simple dilation. I suggest that you have a doc use an endoscope and take a look at what''s going on in your stomach. You never know what you''ll find. Hope you both feel better soon.
|

replied October 23rd, 2013
hi i had all this done and still no luck this surgery has ruined my life also the only thing good was the weight loss and my 2 beautiful kids who are now 4 and 5 when i was told i'd never have any but it seems like every year i end up in the hospital with some intestinal problem i wonder why that is and it's around the same time every year between aug and nov for the last 3 years
crazy.....any help
|

replied July 2nd, 2010
Gastic bypass and a life time of Nausea
I just recently had the Ru and Y April 27 2009 since then my life has been heck. several months after the operation I started getting horrible nausea and dry heaves I never vomited as I could barely eat I went into the hospital for 9 days were they did an EGD and put a feeding tube down my nose. After release I again was hospitalized in Sept to put a feeding tube in my stomach so I could supplement my feeding since I was to sick to eat. Sadly the tube kept slipping and in my 3rd operation that week to switch tubes it slipped and they put my food fed to me by a kangaroo pouch in my peritoneum basically it missed my stomach and was being dumped into my lower half of my body poisoning me. 12 hours of complaining to my nurses with pain fever and a rash they finally took me serious by then I couldn't even get out of bed to use my side toilet with out screaming bloody come to find out I had a ton of necrotic (dead tissue in me that needed to be cut out) not to mention I was then rushed to ICU because my white cell count witch fights infection was 1.5. 29 days later and 11 surgeries I was released. I still deal with nausea and just had a test since my beriatric doctors finally refereed me to a GI doctor that ordered a test to check my Cortisol levels. I now found out the other day that my adrenal glands are not functioning this is life and death as they produce everything to keep you body in balance from potassium to blood pressure you can go into what they call adrenal crisis were your blood pressure gets so low you can go into a coma. I am meeting with my endocrinologist this week to talk more about it. I weigh now about 120 and I am in a size 6 its been a little over a year since my surgery but it has been a long difficult journey. I look good people say but when I take my clothes off sadly I look like I should be playing an Auschwitz prisoner part in Schindler's list. I have not been able to really enjoy my new body and I seem very dis-attached to it. I don't feel pretty and I don't want my husband to see me necked half the time. I feel like I traded one set of health issues for another. I am hoping now that I might know what cause my nauseousness I can fix it. I will be on medicine for life and have to wear a medical alert bracelet any stress IE surgery, infection loss of a love one can literally kill me. Its hard to weight that out. The most and best thing I can tell you is find an aggressive doctor that will take your nausea seriously and do testing don't stop and don't take no for an answer. I have learned to be a good advocate for my self because at the end of the day the doctor is going home wondering how YOU are doing you need to do this. God bless
|

replied July 27th, 2010
gastric bypass and vomiting
I am 6 years out from my surgery. I had several problems when I had my surgery including an ulcer and stricture. I was on a feeding tube for 10 months until the ulcer healed and they were able to open the stricture. I am experiencing extreme vomiting...often after every meal. I have cut lots of things out of my diet but it seems that soup is the only thing that ZI can really eat without throwing up. I had an endoscopy last year when I went to my surgeon about this problem but he saw nothing out of the ordinary. The vomiting hasn't stopped. I don't know what to do anymore. Does anyonhe have any ideas or suggestions.
|

replied September 9th, 2010
abdominal pain and vomiting
I had my R-N-Y bypass in 2000, and the last 3-4 months I have had constant vomiting and abdominal pain with eating. I just got out of the hospital, where they did an upper endoscopy and said it looked normal (although they said the opening to my stomach appeared narrow, but not, according to them, narrow enough to cause all of this). They did a CT with dye, an abdominal and chest x-ray as I am also having some chest pain. And I have been having pretty severe upper back pain that seems to stem from the abdominal and chest pain. They checked my heart via EKG and enzyme levels, and monitored my heart for 3 days and say it is fine. I have lost 20-25 lbs without trying and look horrible (not to mention feel horrible). The doctors don't know what to do with me and I am at my wits end! Does anyone have any experience with this? Or have any suggestions??
|

replied September 13th, 2010
I am continually nauseus now after 8 years ago having roux ny.
I had roux ny surgery 8 years ago. I lost a lot of weight, have regained a lot of weight. I have had many problems, scar tissue, an ulcer at the new opening, and now the wonderful nauseusness everyday. I do throw up just out of the blue...wonder if this was all worth it. I know that you cannot have alcohol with this surgery, I can't have a lot of things actually. And as well, I have had so many tests run everytime that I have experienced these type symptoms that I no longer see a doctor for them. That may sound crazy, but it just seems like a moneymaker for the docs. Now I want to know how to get my weight back off. Maybe then I would feel better.
|

replied September 23rd, 2010
I have read a lot of posts like these on other web sites. None of them have any real explainations why nausea is happening. My wife had her surgery in April of 2010. About a month ago she bagan to have severe bouts of nausea. She went back to the doctor. They did some kind of procedure to enlarge the opening. It did not stop the nausea. I am becoming very frustrated by the lack of information. It's alomst like she was happy and heatlhier before she lost 100 lbs. Do any doctors out there have a clue???????
|

replied November 22nd, 2010
I feel for those of you who have had bad experiences post op-my experience has been very wonderful and sucessful. I had laproscopic RNY gastric bypass w/ robotic assist on 5/3/10. I have a wonderful surgeon, who I think walks on water-this was the most important part of my recovery & sucess. I had the typical nausea / vomiting symptoms off & on within the 1st 4 months post-op but my over all experience has been very sucessful. I have lost 72 lbs to date. I followed my surgeons directions to the "T"-I think this is why I have had such a great experience. The only thing I would warn of to female patients who are child bearing age....the weight loss will "jump start" your reproductive system-beware! I have a 14 & 9 yr old which I needed fertility drugs to conceive. I am currently 14 wks pregnant-this baby was conceived on birth control pills that were taken properly. My surgeon tells me that this is a very common thing post-op. He jokingly told me that he should incert a IUD w/ each bypass he does.
Don't get me wrong-I still dump every now and then and sometime over-eat (still thinkin' like a fat girl)and puke. But overall, very happy with my decision to have this surgery-I feel it saved my life. I no longer have to take blood pressure medication or diabetic medications. I'm healthier now than I have ever been in my life. I just wanted to share my story so people can see that this surgery can be very sucessful and positive. Good luck to those of you who are still suffering from complications post-op. Might I suggest a consult from another bariatric surgeon??
God Bless!!
|

replied February 28th, 2012
I also followed my surgeon's instructions to the "T" and still have had an awful time since my RNY 10 years ago. Also when you wrote this you had not had the surgery all that long ago. You want to hear something wild? When I weighed over 300 lbs I did not have diabetes and when I lost the weight my body became so senstized to carbs that I developed life-threatening reactive hypoglycemia. I have lost consciousness from it ... even if I eat very healthy things, like a boiled egg and a piece of whole wheat toast. I take incredible amounts of medication to help control it somewhat.
I do hope you continue to do well. I do know quite a few who have had the surgery and some seem to do okay but in the longrun many do not.
|

replied June 28th, 2012
I also followed the drs instructions to a "T". I don't believe that is the problem at all. I didn't start having problems until about two years out. Now I am permanently disabled, had 85% of my pancreas removed due to the damage from severe hypoglycemia, brain damage from severe hypoglycemia. The pancreatectomy was unsuccessful. I am about to have a permanent feeding tube placed into my remnant stomach as a study out of Stanford showed it cured a patient of their postprandial hypoglycemia.
So I get the joy of never eating food again. Yippee!!! Just another wonderful side "benefit" of getting healthy by gastric bypass. NOT!!!
|

replied June 28th, 2012
I also followed the drs instructions to a "T". I don't believe that is the problem at all. I didn't start having problems until about two years out. Now I am permanently disabled, had 85% of my pancreas removed due to the damage from severe hypoglycemia, brain damage from severe hypoglycemia. The pancreatectomy was unsuccessful. I am about to have a permanent feeding tube placed into my remnant stomach as a study out of Stanford showed it cured a patient of their postprandial hypoglycemia. So I get the joy of never eating food again. Yippee!!! Just another wonderful side "benefit" of getting healthy by gastric bypass. NOT!!!
|

replied October 10th, 2012
re Surgery
is there any way you can let me know who was your surgeon. i live in New jersey. just had my surgery 8/20/2012 and i get nausea alot or cant eat certain food. I try to eat small and only introduce one food at a time. My name is Diana.
|

User Profile
replied March 30th, 2011
Nausea and vomiting daily 3 yrs out
I am 3 years out and suffering horribly with nausea and vomiting on a daily basis and need to have an upper GI. I am on Zofran, which they use for chemotherapy patients to control nausea, and I still vomit. I have been under a tremendous amount of stress and drinking a lot of alcohol so I'm thinking I have an ulcer for sure. I'm terrified but had I known then what I know now about the nausea and vomiting I'd NEVER HAVE HAD THIS SURGERY! Please please think about the consequences of having this surgery.
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied August 5th, 2011
Thinking of having the surgery yes or no
Hi my name is toni and I am thinking of having the surgery and then I hear stories like yours and I have a friend that had it and she is UNHAPPY as well not to mention the Dr. that did her has filed CHAPTER 13 and left the state and now no one wants to touch her. She is having vomiting with every meal can you help at all. I would love to hear from you. If you want you can e-mail me home to hear from you.
|

replied April 21st, 2011
Another reason for your vomiting???
Hey there.....gosh...a lot of you with a lot of complaints!!! Well check this out...what is missing in a lot of you is any testing for MOTILITY DISORDERS! it is very common for the surgeons to purposely cut the Vagus nerve because it hinders acid reflux but that also increases the likelihood of movement issues within the esophagus and stomach. I have been an RN for 21 years. I had my bypass in 1998. Pretty much since the second month out... I have been vomiting on a daily basis. I do not experience nausea or dumping no ulcers at all....I have had annual endoscopy pretty much the entire time. All normal. I finally had yet another upper GI and I purposely cheated to finally show the docs what goes on. I ate a piece of bread on the way and then drank the barium. Finally it was seen that the majority of what I eat lodges in my esophagus and never makes it down. It took 20 minutes for the contrast to even begin to enter my stomach. The doc and I watched together... Well all fine and dandy if I didn't have to take extremely sedating medication that diminishes my gag reflex so now I wake up 3 times a week choking on vomit no matter how high I sleep. Fun. Wouldn't bother me but as a critical care RN I know that aspiration pneumonia kills 70%of the time so hey...nothing can be done if your esophagus does not move correctly....there are no solutions.
|

replied July 2nd, 2011
Nonelective, emergency bypass in 2002, now pain
Wow. Depressing stuff. I had to have an emergency R n Y bypass back in 2002 because of an endoscopy gone bad when the doc was TRYING to dilate the opening between the stomach and small bowel. Scary to wake up from an elective procedure to your surgeon in tears telling you that you are critical and need this major surgery RIGHT NOW!. So now I have diarrhea, abd. pain, etc. But now the pain in what is left of my stomach is bad and from what I'm reading here sounds like an ulcer. So, do I go for another endoscopy so they get another shot at me? What would you all do?

Thanks. Signed, "nervous in Clearwater Smile"
|

replied July 28th, 2011
I had my surgery 6 years ago, lost an incredible amount of weight and felt like a new person. I would still have the occasional throwing up but not as much as long as I monitored what I was eating how fast I was eating it and the amount. Lately and I sometimes wonder with it being as hot as it has been if the weather isn't affecting my stomach. I throw up constantly and a majority of time it is right after I eat like instantly and sometimes it can be 15 or 20 minutes later. Alot of time there is just a little bit of food that comes out. It's exhausting and upsetting that I shouldn't be doing this anymore. I started taking carafate because my stomach has been giving me problems and still I feel horrible. I had the surgery so I could enjoy my life and do things I could never do when I was obese and sometimes I really question my decision.
|

replied October 28th, 2011
ulcers from rny
My friend had her surgery on June 3rd. Since she has had an ulcer the size almost of her stomach. Her last scope the doctor told her that her esophgas was twisted? She is not able to eat any solids without throwing up! Anyone else have problems like this?
|

replied January 9th, 2013
yes i have and its tiring im sorry for your friend how is she now
|

replied January 9th, 2013
yes i have and its tiring im sorry for your friend how is she now
|

My friend had her surgery on June 3rd. Since she has had an ulcer the size almost of her stomach. Her last scope the doctor told her that her esophgas was twisted? She is not able to eat any solids without throwing up! Anyone else have problems like this?
|

|

replied November 17th, 2011
I hear ya!
Oddly enough, after reading all these entries, I don't feel so alone. I'm almost seven years post-gastric bypass. I've suffered from dumping syndrome since Day 1, which kept me on the straight and narrow. However, currently "starving," because I'm unable to keep nutrients in my body, I'm now facing a surgery to have a gastric feeding tube in the coming days and am extremely overcome emotionally. I've been sick for several months now but have had the same issues with nausea and vomiting shared by others. I also have diverticulosis, IBS, and often have bouts of diverticulitis. I've lost almost 30 pounds in less than three months, and I was at a "perfect" weight for my height (and maintained it) for six years. So, here I sit actually being at a weight that indicates starvation, and my labs indicate malnutrition. Who would have thought, given I was obese my entire life?!!! Regardless though? I would not turn back the clock and make the decision to lose the weight without the surgery. Having gastric bypass/losing almost 250 pounds, has changed my entire life. I can run, put on my own shoes and socks, laugh without wetting my pants, see my feet without someone taking a photo of them (HA!) and a host of other things. I just hope this feeding tube gets my body back on track!!!
|

I hear ya!
Oddly enough, after reading all these entries, I don't feel so alone. I'm almost seven years post-gastric bypass. I've suffered from dumping syndrome since Day 1, which kept me on the straight and narrow. However, currently "starving," because I'm unable to keep nutrients in my body, I'm now facing a surgery to have a gastric feeding tube in the coming days and am extremely overcome emotionally. I've been sick for several months now but have had the same issues with nausea and vomiting shared by others. I also have diverticulosis, IBS, and often have bouts of diverticulitis. I've lost almost 30 pounds in less than three months, and I was at a "perfect" weight for my height (and maintained it) for six years. So, here I sit actually being at a weight that indicates starvation, and my labs indicate malnutrition. Who would have thought, given I was obese my entire life?!!! Regardless though? I would not turn back the clock and make the decision to lose the weight without the surgery. Having gastric bypass/losing almost 250 pounds, has changed my entire life. I can run, put on my own shoes and socks, laugh without wetting my pants, see my feet without someone taking a photo of them (HA!) and a host of other things. I just hope this feeding tube gets my body back on track!!!
|

I forgot to mention that I also have a sizeable ulcer in my pouch, diverticulitis, and IBS. Isn't life grand! HA!
|
12 >>