Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Herpes and Genital Warts Forum

Valtrex For Genital Warts ?

Must Read
20% of the population has or carries herpes simplex virus. But do you know what herpes is? Learn about causes and risk factors for herpes. ...
Do you know the less common signs and symptoms of herpes? Get the facts of herpes symptoms and outbreaks here....
Herpes diagnosis requires proper testing. Learn about the two simple tests that doctors use to confirm a herpes diagnosis....
My son just got diagnosed with genital warts. The doctor prescribed Valtrex. When he told his girlfriend to get checked out, she did, but was told by her OBGYN that Valtrex was not the proper treatment for genital warts. I would like a second opinion. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 6th, 2007
Experienced User
Valtrex is used to treat genital herpes not genital warts. Warts and herpes are two different things.The treatment for genital warts are: freezing them off,condylox gel,aldara cream,burned off,lasered off and surgically cut out.
|

replied November 23rd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Yes, Valtrex is the drug of choice of genital hepies. And I agree with blondie_899 that it does not work on warts. Valtrex has been the drug of choice like forever since it can out. There are many that are on it every day instead of just for flair up's too.

Carrie
|

replied May 5th, 2009
Valtrex
The reason the doctor probably prescribed Valtrex is because Valtrex is yes an antiherpes medication, but it is under the classification of meds - antiviral. Genital warts is caused by the HPV (human papilloma virus), and Valtrex is supposed to help the body's immune system fight off the virus. Valtrex shouldn't be the only method of treatment for your son's warts, but maybe in accommodation with other methods. The Valtrex could also be used as prevention for future occurrence since it is an antiviral medication. That is my only thought! Smile Thanks.
|

replied July 11th, 2009
I have heard Valacore is the alternative to Valtrex and both work in a similar way however Valacore is a natural product vs. Valtrex which is an actual chemical drug. Have there been any studies comparing the two? . I know in general doctors don't like natural products too much as the different FDA req but so far it seems I have only heard very good things about Valacore. A friend of mine has been on Valacore for a while and swears by it. Any thoughts on this? I am planning on switching this month as I am just not happy with Valtrex but trying to get as much info as possible.
|

replied September 1st, 2009
HPV
I did use it when i 1st got hpv and it did in fact go away how ever as soon asi stoped it came back and now the docter is telling all this bull ish about how it not 4 wat i have and he cant give it to me i am goin to make him give me a test drive 4 it.
it may be my last hope b4 i let them cut it off i dont know wat to do and this is scary for me im only 20 but i put my self in this i got to ge my self.
this makes me feel so bad about my self b4 this i coud have just about any sex partner i want and i dont even want my self.
|

replied February 20th, 2013
I just had an argument with my dermatologist today. I have plantar warts, which are also HPV. Valtrex inhibits viral DNA polymerase, so it could work against any virus, but it's only been tested on HSV, VZV, and a few others. There's only anecdotal evidence that it could work with HPV, but it stands to reason that it might. However, it won't kill the virus itself, which infects basal epithelial stem cells. It can only suppress it for as long as you take Valtrex.
|
This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.