Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Perineum / rectal - can't empty bowels w/ fecal retenention (Page 1)

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
hi,
ive been having this problem for quite some time now about 8 months now. i notice that i cant empty my bowels and have some fecal retention afterwards and my rectum is tender and a bit soar, sometimes when i defecate it burns. it also feels like i am sitting on a football or something in my perineum and rectum. when im sitting down i feel this tingling sensation come up through my perineum and rectum area whenever i try to switch positions i can still feel a tiny tingling sensation. i have this perineum/nerve throbbing maybe prostate? whenever i squeeze my pelvic muscles to evacuate my bowels and defecate. i also have a wierd sensation at the tip of my penis and can feel the wierd rectal/perineum pressure when i touch the tip. most of the time this problem is in my rectum but also like mentioned travels to the perineum and other areas most likely through nerves or other factors. i forgot to mention that its also difficult to urinate and burns a bit sometimes, and i might have some urine retention. ive thought about main symptoms disorders and problems and have ruled out most because i dont have the typical problems but am still wondering whats causing this underlying problem. i thought i had either prostatitis, prostadynia, anal fissures, levator ani syndrome, anal abscess, hemroids, perineal abscess, pudendal nerve entrapment, cryptitis, proctitis? however, i was checked and did have an anal fissure and perhaps an ulcer, but this doesn't explain all the other onset problems in the above mentioned. i cant seem to link my problem to any which one because my symptoms arent typical but nevertheless still present and just dont seem to go away, ive been thinking i will just probably have to live with these bothersome symptoms forever if nothing seems to help. but most importantly the worst onset of these symptoms is the perineum and rectum golfball-like pressure 24/7! this hardly is relieved by sitting, standing, laying down or whatever. if anyone has heard similar information about this type-like problem advice would be very much appreciated Wink
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper paper123
|

replied November 11th, 2007
Ianb
Hi Rick1287

I believe I am suffering from the same problem, your symptoms are the same as mine. I was first treated for hemorroids and then I was told that I had an anal fissure and I have been using nitro 0.2 for over a year. Sometimes it seems to be healing and I can't feel much and then it comes back again.As you say it'smore the pressure and discomfort than a pain as such and the tenderness extends into the perineal area. I keep thinking about prostate trouble as I know I have prostate enlargement at my age but I am still inclined to blame the fissure. I can get a good night's sleep but then it starts up again in the morning.
|

replied July 2nd, 2008
Has anyone else experienced similar rectal, perineal pressure, throbbing and tingling? Feeling like a golfball is betweem your perineum/rectum?
|

replied May 31st, 2009
Yes, I have the same thing. This has been with me for 4 years. I was constipated for 2 weeks, took a laxative. And when i finally went, the bowel movement was so large it triggered my prostate. On that day I lost feeling in my penis, i get this wierd tingling sensation that goes up my perineum and constant pressure(Almost like something is just sitting there, and rubbing it doesnt really help. Nothing does, and you try to make it go away but you cant.), like crawling of the skin. almost like gas bubbles move up my perineum. I no longer get the feeling to poop, been living off laxatives for 4 years(Magnesium Citrate). When I touch my penis i can feel where the nerve is damaged in my perineum/rectum. I no longer get correct blood flow threw my penis or even really feel if I get an erection. and no doctors know whats wrong with me.
|
Users who thank richard90 for this post: Rick1287 

replied September 23rd, 2009
ouch.. I've got something similar...

I have swelling in the taint area on the left side. My buthole is also always swollen. It's weird... looks fine on the outside but it's like the inner ring is swollen. Always constipated and the more time goes on, the more it's harder to poo. Pain in perinium is a lot worse after sex & it gets very swollen during sex without pain until after... tip of my penis is also swollen. All started when I was 16 and I'm 21 now and things just keep getting worse. Doctors are pointless haven't got any help there.

Does any of this sound familiar?
|
Users who thank matt96 for this post: Rick1287 

replied October 24th, 2009
I have had the same problem since 2004 and been to about 5 different physicians who cannot pinpoint the problem. It is like a ring of scar tissue exists right up inside my hole and it is sometimes as though the hole is swollen shut from the inside.

There is never a feeling of completion after BM. I used to go 3x per day but there was never a burning, discomfort, cramping feeling afterwards as there has been the last few years.

There is also a feeling of trapped gas and reflux, so much that often I burp up chunks of food. This may be unrelated but it is often worse after sex/ejaculation, believe it or not.

Sex seems to make a difference. While there is no pain/discomfort during, there does seem to be some sort of internal congestion that goes right from under the ribcage down thru the perineum to rectal area that happens almost every time.

Earlier in the decade, I had (stupidly) developed a practise of "holding off" as long as I could and was sometimes erect for several hours before release. While I am certain this has caused these problems, the doctors I have seen are all skeptical.
|
Users who thank KGinTO for this post: Rick1287 

replied November 15th, 2009
To richard90, matt96 and KGinTO. All of what you're explaining is what I experience more or less. It also feels like my rectum is clogged blocked off and the right it feels like my prostate is swollen and enlarged, as well as a clogged rectum. I also get those gas bubble/tingling sensations. i have trapped gas and reflux. i have had the trapped gas and reflux for about 6 years now. however this deep rectal, perineal and penile tip gas bubbling/tingling feeling started may 2007. it has been about almost 3 years with this problem. sex i can sometimes feel my rectum contract and feel the nerves working from my rectum and penis during ejaculation not always depending where i am sitting and the position. i am convinced my prostate is swollen as well as the rectum clogged. i have heard in prostatitis it is similar like sitting on a golf ball which i experience. i have not ejaculated blood. the strange thing is i seem to have less nerve sensation in my penis sometimes it feels like i can ejaculate quickly if i rub hard and sometimes i can't feel anything and it will take forever to ejaculate my erection isnt as hard as it used to be. i generally have to contract my pc muscles in order to maintain erect and ejaculation i think the clogged and swollen rectum/prostate has an effect of some sort. i am convinced drinking and squeezing too hard at ejaculation could have messed up my rectum, perineum, prostate and possibly pc muscles where i feel that there is a "boggy-swollen" feeling in my rectum and penis all day, and to my perineum to a certain extent. bowel evacuation is never fully complete and feels like not everything is out of my rectum completely like stuck deep inside the rectum but sometimes this isn't the case.
|

replied November 22nd, 2009
chiropractor
Looking for a solution for a different problem with my child and stumbled upon this. Have any of you tried going to see a chiropractor? could be possibly pinched nerves. Nerves from the L5 and lower areas of your spinal cord go down into that area. If it is compressed it could be causing you trouble with feeling and with your bowels moving properly. This is what I have had to take my daughter to the chiropractor for, she can't move her bowels properly and can't feel when she goes. She is improving since going to the Chiropractor. Hope you all find a solution! God bless!
|

replied December 24th, 2009
I am currently experiencing all of the problems aforementioned. Question to you all: Do you find that in those rare moments when you are able to release gas and perform BM's properly, that your penis becomes comfortably relaxed and lengthens? Instead of the usual swelling and sensitivity, does it return to it's natural state once you have successfully relieved the tension momentarily?

I've been suffering from these same conditions for quite some time now. I find the best way to avoid the problem is to try not to dictate bowel movements and less flexing of the pelvic muscles in an attempt to release the gas breeds less pressure in the rectal/perineum areas.
|

replied May 15th, 2010
Same feeling
richard90 I have very similar problem. I have a loss of eeling in my penis and have suffered ED because of it. I do feel like i need to uriante and poop oftren only because when I do, it causes more pressure on the perineum area. It really does feel like a strange gas bubble right behind my scrotum like pinched nerve or something. When i relieve gas (fart), have a bowel movement or urinate it feels a lot better. This has only been around for about a week now, but reading about people who have had this for years scares me!

Has anyone found relief? I think the person talking about going to a chiro for a pinched nerve might be onto something!
|

replied May 17th, 2010
bad bowel movements
Hello everyone

It's so good to know that I'm not alone. I share with most of you the problems of not evacuating the bowel. For me the problem started 4 years ago. One afternoon, I had been masturbating on a hard wooden chair. After a few hours, and a third ejaculation, I had a pain in my penis from inside my perineum to the tip. My penis stayed erect for hours after this ejaculation and the pain was intense. What I did not realize was that my rectum had become stuck to the wooden chair as I was masturbating. When ejaculation took place that last time, my rectal muscles (which contract a great deal during the process of ejaculation) were wrongly stretched out, and the pudendal nerve with it. Since this episode, I have had massive problems with my entire perineum, mostly in the rectal area. Hurts when I ejaculate. Sometimes it hurts when I urinate. Hurts when I lift something. Really hurts when I sit.(I've been sitting on a tube for years). When my pain level increases, it seeps up into the perineum. Sooooooo uncomfortable. One of the major issues is that I can't evacuate all my bowel. 90% goes out, the other 10% will sit at the bottom(even after I wipe 20 times) and leak out during the next few ours. So then, I have to go, shower, and clean up.
I have been diagnosed (not by the doctors mind you, but by the brilliant physical therapists that helped me) with pudendal neuropathy. The pudendal nerve, which sits at the base of your spine, breaks into three branches which go to the penis, the rectum, and mid section.
Though the doctors wont say, I know that I somehow stretched or injured my nerve that day. Now I live with the consequences. Mind you, I found through rehab, that relaxation exercises help ease pain and better some bowel movements. Different lower back/hamstring and butt stretches are really helpful. As well, not just squatting when going to the bathroom, but if you are sitting, lift your left knee up to your chest, Kind of like a half fetal position. This will help evacuate the bowel better.

I wish all you people the best. I try to remember that things could be worse.

Take care.

NOTE:
In France, what I have is called bicycle seat neuropathy.
|
Users who thank paper123 for this post: Coops291 

replied May 18th, 2010
pudendal
many of your symptoms are comom to pudendal nerve neuropathy or entrapment. This symptoms are usually misdiagnose as "prostatitis" "coccydynia" "pelvic muscles floor dysfuntion" not many doctors are aware of this sympton.
|

replied June 27th, 2010
Hey,

I got very similar problems as to many of you posted. I'm currently 21 year old.

Ill start from the beginning.. I must have been ~12 or so when i first masturbated, however when i ejaculated i felt this huge pain inside me(around the prostate) If something had scarred inside me.. ever since that i'v had the painful feeling in my prostate and the muscles near it & also painful urination.. i had to get circumsized because of too tight foreskin(i must have been 16-17) & i had a infection under my foreskin.

I only went to see a urologist after the pain started to be unbearable because of the infection on the foreskin. Surgery went fine however the pain & the problems still remained.

Next thing my urologist evaluated me and told me that i could have prostatitis, we tried antibiotics without any result. Crazy amount of diffirent painkillers/antidepressants(for the pain not for depression). None seemed to work.

Next was cystoscopy.. i'v never felt anything so painful in my life as the camera moved through my prostate. Also urinating after this
was very painful however it came back to normal after few days.. still burning & painful though.

Next thing my urologist told me that we could try biofeedback treatment with kagel exercices and electronical sensor in the rectum.. it did help abit, but not enough to remove the pain and urination problems.

After a couple of months after the biofeedback i tried a diffirent urologist who evaluated me with CPPS(Chronic Pelvic Pain syndrome)
which is almost the exact same thing as Prostatitis with a fancier name.

First thing he wanted to do was uronodynamic test & another cystoscopy because he was sceptical about the problem being in my prostate. I first doubted the tests
since the first cystoscopy hurted alot, urodynamic test hurted as hell, but i got through it without problems. Then Couple of weeks later i had the cystoscopy, the urologist was WAY too rough and i felt so much more pain as i did in the earlier cystoscopy.
There was actually some bleeding after the test, i felt
alot more pain in my body that i had before the cystoscopy i hoped that the pain would reduce overtime, yet now im feeling pain in my bladder aswell as prostate.

Now its almost like i wont never get the feeling that i need to urinate its rather that when the pain gets unbearable i know when i need to urinate.

Month or two after the scopy i kept telling the urologist who did the cystoscopy on me that the pain havent reduced.
He was very sceptical about that it could be true.

This is where things get very annoying:

After a 2-3 months after the 2nd cystoscopy i'v started feeling huge iching in my rectum, few days after that it started to feel like huge discomfort & pressure in the rectum(iching vanished), huge problems with emptying my bowel and having alot of gas/diarreha.

also after having these symptoms for sometime now without a fix now i'v also started to have numbness in my penis while in erection or in normal life, almost as if the penis has shrinked.

Next i was sent to another more specialized urologist with neuromodulation expertise, i was implanted with neuromodulation device in my lower back to solve the pain and discomfort in my rectum/prostate/bladder, i had it tested for 4 weeks, without any major result.

As it came i was yet again sent to another urogolist (which ended up to be my first urogolist). We decided to try botox injection straight to the prostate.
Im currently in queue for the injection with:

-Terrible pain in my prostate/bladder
-Huge problems with emptying bowel completely
-Erectile problems not just in erection
-Urination pain/burning(not frequency though)

The botox injection was a last resort from my urogolist, atleast so he informed me.

I'm yet to ask him about medicin like Elmiron & Heat therapy to the prostate.

Anyhow heres my story.

(sry if its abit offtopic since this is about Bowel, however if i'd have to choose which of the problems i wanted to get rid of now, the bowel or prostate problems, i'd say the bowel for sure.)
|

replied December 17th, 2010
I share almost the same symptoms as most of you?
Has anyone found a cure?
|

replied December 22nd, 2010
Pressure and swelling in the groin - Possible prostatitis
I Have symptoms of pressure in my groin area lower back, and numbing on my left leg in an area.
After 2 years just went to the doctor he prescribed me antibiotics.
He believes I have prostatitis. My Prostate is swollen and its obstructing my Bowel Movements as well.
I also had some TINY, TINY white floaters in my pee, he said its mucus.
His thought is the antibiotics will reduce the swelling and help me return to normal.
It takes 2 weeks because the antibiotics has a hard time getting to the prostate...ITS day 1 lets see how it goes
|

replied April 10th, 2011
Incomplete evacuation and pinching pain in head of penis
Hello 8j,

I have similar problems as most of the posters here for about 11 years. I've been to gastroenterologists who have told me for years that I have IBS (which I totally disbelieve) and have given me all types of medicines over the course of the years to no avail. Symptoms of

-incomplete evacuation and having to manually remove
-constant bulge feeling in anus/rectum which becomes worse after defecation
-pain in anus/rectum which also becomes worse after defecation
-pain/tingling in lower back and pain/tingling on left leg behind buttocks and numbness on quad area of left leg
-incomplete and failing erections during intercourse
-extremely discomfiting and constant feeling of a bulge in the mid left side of abdomen right under ribcage
-pinching feeling at tip of penis after sitting in a chair or bicycle seat

I was wondering if the antibiotics you received provided any relief?

Also, has anyone else experienced these same symptoms and if so found a physician (or anyone) who was able to provide some form of lasting relief?

I am at my wits end and need to find a doctor who doesn't use IBS as a blanket diagnosis for gi and bowels problems that are not easily identifiable after first round of testing. And also listens to patients (I know, a rare find....)

Thanks,
|

replied April 10th, 2011
Hello 8j,

I have similar problems as most of the posters here for about 11 years. I've been to gastroenterologists who have told me for years that I have IBS (which I totally disbelieve) and have given me all types of medicines over the course of the years to no avail. Symptoms of

-incomplete evacuation and having to manually remove
-constant bulge feeling in anus/rectum which becomes worse after defecation
-pain in anus/rectum which also becomes worse after defecation
-pain/tingling in lower back and pain/tingling on left leg behind buttocks and numbness on quad area of left leg
-incomplete and failing erections during intercourse
-extremely discomfiting and constant feeling of a bulge in the mid left side of abdomen right under ribcage
-pinching feeling at tip of penis after sitting in a chair or bicycle seat

I was wondering if the antibiotics you received provided any relief?

Also, has anyone else experienced these same symptoms and if so found a physician (or anyone) who was able to provide some form of lasting relief?

I am at my wits end and need to find a doctor who doesn't use IBS as a blanket diagnosis for gi and bowels problems that are not easily identifiable after first round of testing. And also listens to patients (I know, a rare find....)

Thanks,
|

replied March 19th, 2011
hi

I've been having the exact same symptoms as the first poster and it just recently got really bad.. Has any one found a solution to this terrible problem?
|

replied May 16th, 2011
I'm a 51 yr. old woman. I recently found out I have significant sacralization in L-4 & L5. My spine has fused.I've had 10 surgeries and have been instructed to go to Mayo Clinic. I also have Diverticulosis and IBS. I have 6 Herniated disks in my neck, a rotator cuff tear. I feel like I'm sitting on rocks. I can barely move and am in great pain. It NEVER goes away. I just lost 25#'s. I'm 5'7 and 110. OMG! I'm alone and feel like I'm dying. I know I'm dying actually. Every time I have a new test they find a new disease where there isn't a cure. I'm at my wits end. This isn't a life. I beg GOD to help me. Maybe he has other plans for me. I also have skin cancer and can't see a Dermotoligist until I can sit. I no longer fear death. I'm in agony!
|

replied July 5th, 2011
Levator syndrome or something worse?
Similar symptoms for me as well after ejaculation when squeezing the rectum I felt a wierd sensation. ever since I have everything from tingling to a feeling of trapped gas usually when sitting. When walking I feel wiggly in the rectum. Its so uncomfortable. I was told by a neurorectal surgeon to take hot baths and a heating pad. The hot baths do relax it but I cant seem to get rid of it. Its been almost two months now and I cant stand passing this weak quiet gas all day!! Is this that Levator syndrome or something worse??
|

replied October 11th, 2011
It's very scary you say it's called bycicle seatv neuropapthy,because that is how i make my living is riding in competitions and doing performances at arenas and such, and to no suprise I suffer from the very same things as you folks! MY pt and urologists looked into my problem and have diagnosed me with pudendal neuropathy. starting treatments next month.
|

replied October 11th, 2011
It's very scary you say it's called bycicle seatv neuropapthy,because that is how i make my living is riding in competitions and doing performances at arenas and such, and to no suprise I suffer from the very same things as you folks! MY pt and urologists looked into my problem and have diagnosed me with pudendal neuropathy. starting treatments next month.
|
12 >>