Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Sebacious Cysts On Back

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
My husband has 2 large awful "sebacious cysts" on his back. One is where you would find your rib cage on your back on the left side and right now is not "active". The other is the size of a golf ball, on his left shoulder blade and is very, very, painful, he says it causes pain down his arm and he is losing sleep over it . He has seen a Dr. They put him on cipro which has done nothing (he wanted them to lance it,) they suggest once they can clear up the obvious infection to remove it. He has heard that they can come back after being removed. He is a firefighter and doesn't want to take time off (dr. Said 2 wks) if its just gonna come back!?!? Can anybody relate to this and please give us your opinion?? He is really getting depressed over this damn thing!!!! Crying or Very sad
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper allnamestaken
|

replied April 6th, 2004
Experienced User
Sebacious Cyst On Back
An abscess can be got rid of by homeopathic medicine with remedies like hepar, merc, sul, silicea etc. They can also see that the abscess does not recur.
|

replied April 8th, 2004
Sebaceous cysts can also be treated at home using a warm compress and castor oil. Castor oil should not be taken internally for sebaceous cysts (it is a laxative if taken orally). Saturate a peice of natural white cotton or flannel with castor oil and apply to the surface of the cyst. Hold a hot water bag or similar heating pad on top of the castor oil compress for 1/2 hour to an hour. This can be done daily. The castor oil helps the lymphatic system to shrink the cyst. Good luck!
If the cyst becomes red or tender it may be infected and antibiotics will likely be prescribed. Garlic can help with infection and can be taken with antibiotics. Acidophilus should be taken with antibiotics or garlic to replace good bacteria in your system.
|

replied April 22nd, 2004
Sebaceous Cyst
I came across this post in my own desperate attempt to get answers to my problems with sebaceous cysts. I have had problems with sebaceous cysts since I was about 12. Now 24, I have had many removed and many lanced... Just recently I have had a major outbreak or 4 large sebaceous cysts... I have tried everything in the book... A butt load of meds, two of the most recent being doxycyclin hyc, and augmentin. Tried the hot compresses with minimal comfort... I take care of myself.... Workout, eat right, I dont flux weight much....
I guess what I need is something new to try... I dont want to give up... But its getting hard... Does anyone know of anything else that I can try... Anyone that I can see... I am debating on seeing a disease and immune deficiency expert... Anything will help...
|

replied April 22nd, 2004
Experienced User
Homeopathic Medicine
Homeopathic medicine has good remedies to see that the abscess/cysts subside and also prevent recurrence as the treatment progresses.
|

replied May 27th, 2004
Questioning the Cyst...
I went to see my doctor last week and he told me I might have a sebacious cyst, I didn't really understand how it develops. I was thinking I had a tumor or something, but I know I was just being dramatic. Also because I don't have medical insurance I am trying to find out as much information on my own as possible. Please help with any suggestions on how to treat this.
It is a knot like bump on my scalp. There is no pain, but I was getting a little too stressed out about it and I started getting migrains, which I thought were somehow related. Anyhow please help with any suggestions.
Thanks, lula
|

replied September 17th, 2005
I have a cysts on the left side of my back near my armpit. It didn't bother me at all, it didn't hurt to squeeze on it. It has been there 6 years since I was in highschool, i'm 24 now. I don't have any kind of insurance since I came to the state. It is about 1.5 inches in diameter with black stuff inside. I recently have a remove by a volunteer medical doctor near where I live (california). He is a doctor in both western and eastern medicine. He have been known to perform accupuncture as a form of anesthesia for weak patients in the hospital.
Anyway, he used moxibution to burn the top of the cysts until it burnt literally (turned black just the top). A week later, he burn it again and performed the removal process. It was very uncomfortable when the cysts was being burn, after that it was a piece of cake. He used scissor to cut the burnt top of the cyst which turn so black that I didn't even feel a thing as he cut the cyst open. He cut a small opening about 1cm of the cyst and used finger to squeeze the black semi-solid stuff out which later he showed to me. I was amazed because it only took about 10 minutes and the best thing is it didn't hurt at all except the burning sensation of the moxibution. However, there are some semi-solid stuff left at the base of the cysts that he couldn't force it out. He told me to go home and squeeze it within 3 days and precribes my some chinese medicine (herbs and tree barks) which I have to boil them and condense it down from 4 bowls of water to 1 bowl of it.
One day later, I started messing around the opened cysts. I squeeze it harder and harder each time to force out the stuff inside. Finally, everything came out and I can see the part of the sac. I even stick a q-tip in the hole to pick up any black stuff that didn't came out (he guaranteed that no infection if I mess w/ it). It didn't hurt at all although skins are missing and I could see yellow and white fat tissue. I used twetzer or forcep (hydrogen peroxide to sterilize) to pull out the sac. Litterally pulling out the sac, but it stuck underneath the skin halfway, I could only pull out half of it but now there is pain. I asked my grandma to pull it out but I stopped her when it hurts so bad.
I could only pull half of the sac out because it broke. I didn't want to give up. I used my thumb and index finger to physically pull it out with my strength and it wouldn't come out because the opening of the cysts was very small compare to the circumference of the sac. Finally I gave up just because it won't come it not because it hurts. At least I got half of it out of the cysts. I did some research on the net, that said if the sac is not removed, the cyst will come back? Is this true? What if only half of it came out? And that doctor didn't even mention about the sac or anything else. So far I spent hundered eight on the material fees (moxibution) and seventy dollars weeks for chinese medication. Thanks
|

replied August 21st, 2007
Sabaceous Cyst
I went to my family doctor twice over a period of 2 years. He told me if he was not able to remove it all... then he would have to refer me to a surgeon. After a couple of years of swelling, pain, mashing and even having it down to pea sized, I grew tired of the process. My cyst was infected, sore and would swell up to the size of a silver dollar. I decided to have surgery.

I was "put under" heavy sedation and had a colonostomy at the same time as i had my cyst removed. The cyst was in the center of my back and often became inflamed due to sweat running down my spine. 2 days after my surgery I feel much better with some minor pain that was less severe than the cyst itself. I finally feel like the problem may be cured. I would go through several days of pain before bursting the cyst to only find temporary relief. Since the surgeon said it was about half the size of a tangerine, I think he suceeded in getting it all out.

As far as rememdy, most only made it swell up bigger where it was easier to mash. I would not spend hundreds of dollars on herbs and vitamins when the results are mediocre at best. "I used to sell them" lol too!

A GP or family doctor can lance it in his office as an outpatient under local anesthesia. This usually works for most cases. My case was a little more difficult than others.

Brombones
|

replied March 9th, 2009
Cysts on back
I've had two cysts on my back near each other for the past few years. The past couple of days the smaller one has suddenly grown much bigger (2 X 2 inches and growing), hurts, and is bright bright red. Worried! No fever but feel like I have a slight cold or something. I too lead a healthy lifestyle. Am thin, do sports, eat well, don't smoke (been around a smoker past 2 weeks...)and don't drink much.
Anyone know what causes these painful things? Lots of talk about what to do but I'd like to know if there is something in one's lifestyle such as food, drink, activity, etc., that makes a difference.
|

replied December 20th, 2011
Probably infected. Mine is similar, it was fairly small but it has since become flaming red and extremely tender. I went to my doctor and have received antibiotics to help get rid of the infection.
|

replied March 30th, 2009
this is what i've seen:
My ex had one on his back. Went to a dermatologist who injected it with something that irritated it greatly and then one day about a week later -- mainly because it looked like it was going to explode anyways - we popped it! squeezed a bunch of grossness out. did that a few more times and then basically no more cyst. a hole.

current beau also had one. (weird eh?) his got sun burned two days in a row - grew irritated and then same story as above. Now it's a little empty hole.

I have one too and i think the heat method does work. i am in the middle of an experiment. will post if successful.

mine has been surgically removed, grew back. then it was injected with (something, cant remember what) and it grew back.

so *&^% a doctor at this point. nooooo insurance, but they consider this cosmetic anyways and you have to pay for it yourself typically.

Sincerely,
Lone Lump
|

replied November 23rd, 2009
My husband has a cyst on his upper back and it is red and very painful. He used a heating pad and then we push on it and alot of blood came out. Is that normal? I tried to get him to see a dr, but he refuses.
|

replied February 15th, 2010
Cysts removed at doctor's office
I had 2 cysts on my back, about 1" diameter and they would get larger and smaller and sometimes infected. My family doctor removed 1 about 2 years ago, in his office. He used local anesthetic and made a small incision and removed it and put in a few stitches. Just waiting on the doctor took a lot longer than the procedure, which was about 20 minutes. When removed, it basically looked like a peeled grape. He said there is a chance it could come back, but not a high chance. It hasn't come back yet.
Now the remaining cyst is infected and hurts so I need to have it removed. The doctor told me it cannot be removed while it is infected, so I have to wait until it clears up.
|

replied May 1st, 2010
I''ve had a cyst on my cheek for a few years now. It wasn''t causing me any problems until 2 years ago when it became inflamed and very tender, so I went to a plastic surgeon and got it removed. A few months later, it came back. I don''t want to have multiple surgeries on my face, so I''ve been using a hot and cold press on it when it gets inflamed, but since I have acne as well an occasional pimple will form on or near it and will cause even more pain, and a very obvious lump on the side of my face.

The other day my cyst was very red and when I squeezed it, it burst! Lots of puss and blood came out. It was the grossest thing I''ve ever seen. But even now, I can feel the sac in my cheek so I don''t think its gone for good. I''ve been using a cold pack on it since its very swollen and bruised.

Cysts suck a lot and I''m sorry for anyone who has to have one. I have never heard of anyone having a cyst on their face, though, and as a female in my 20s its very hard for me to deal with.
|

replied May 31st, 2011
Hi, how's the cyst so far? Unfortunately, i've got one ony my right cheek as well and i am a female in my 20s too, i totally understand how you feel.

Its been an upsetting and terrible time as i've been going around, visiting different doctors and asking them for any available non-invasive solutions, to no avail. I got 2 jabs from my GP but so far, its still there. The skin doctor has referred me to a plastic surgeon, but im upset because it seems like surgery is the only way out now, and there's no guarantee it wont come back! Sigh.

Its not painful, but its unsightly. It has begun turning black from the inside, my friends have told me that it is rather visible and looks black underneath the surface.

What should i do now? The 2 jabs seem to have made it turn darker inside. Is this good or bad? Sad
|

replied May 31st, 2011
Hi, how's the cyst so far? Unfortunately, i've got one ony my right cheek as well and i am a female in my 20s too, i totally understand how you feel.

Its been an upsetting and terrible time as i've been going around, visiting different doctors and asking them for any available non-invasive solutions, to no avail. I got 2 jabs from my GP but so far, its still there. The skin doctor has referred me to a plastic surgeon, but im upset because it seems like surgery is the only way out now, and there's no guarantee it wont come back! Sigh.

Its not painful, but its unsightly. It has begun turning black from the inside, my friends have told me that it is rather visible and looks black underneath the surface.

What should i do now? The 2 jabs seem to have made it turn darker inside. Is this good or bad? Sad
|

replied January 21st, 2012
sabistic cyst
I had one on my face(cheek too) and it was big as a small tangerine, I cut it open myself with a exacto knife.Doesnt hurt. The stuff squeezed out easy and I took a pair of tweezers and pulled the sack out it turned black for about a week and never came back. I started getting more on my back 10 at once some were huge, cutting them open to where the stuff comes out with out much effort and getting the sack out does the trick. I thought about it and I had never had them before in my life, why now in my fortys? I stopped eating anything sweet again cause thats the only differance in my life, before i wouldnt drink soda or eat sweets and then I started to now I dont get them anymore again and Im happy, dump the sweets or sugar products.
|

sabistic cyst
I had one on my face(cheek too) and it was big as a small tangerine, I cut it open myself with a exacto knife.Doesnt hurt. The stuff squeezed out easy and I took a pair of tweezers and pulled the sack out it turned black for about a week and never came back. I started getting more on my back 10 at once some were huge, cutting them open to where the stuff comes out with out much effort and getting the sack out does the trick. I thought about it and I had never had them before in my life, why now in my fortys? I stopped eating anything sweet again cause thats the only differance in my life, before i wouldnt drink soda or eat sweets and then I started to now I dont get them anymore again and Im happy, dump the sweets or sugar products.
|

sabistic cyst
|

replied March 9th, 2012
Sorry to tell you that they are more common then you think. Both my Aunt and her son have had them on their faces and have to had them surgically removed. I have one on my right shoulder blade. Whenever it gets a little to noticeable in size, I pinch it and the funky smelly white material pops out. Only once has it gotten enflammed and grown to the size of a quarter. But with some topical antibiotic and a bandaid it calmed right down in a few days.
|

replied March 9th, 2012
subaceous cysts
Sorry to tell you that they are more common then you think. Both my Aunt and her son have had them on their faces and have to had them surgically removed. I have one on my right shoulder blade. Whenever it gets a little to noticeable in size, I pinch it and the funky smelly white material pops out. Only once has it gotten enflammed and grown to the size of a quarter. But with some topical antibiotic and a bandaid it calmed right down in a few days.
|

replied May 30th, 2012
Please advise me
I had a cyst removed from the right side of my face near my upper cheekbone a year ago and one month and
I am left with a swollen welt looking mark the size of a nickel under my eye. The doctor keeps giving me lazar
and cortozoin shots and its not working. What can I do and why did this happen? I exchanged one lump for
another it is so noticeable, I have been devastated.
|

replied May 11th, 2010
Sebaceous Cyst Home Surgery
Ok, so on my head I have 4 bumps. Kind of like marbles under the skin. They have been there for years now, and haven''t really caused me any problems other than just being annoying that they''re there.

Well I did some research and found that it was most likely a Sebaceous cyst. I knew that in order to remove it, you must cut the skin in one slice. The cut should also be the size of the cyst. Well my girlfriend did the cutting... thanks hun! Smile... Once cut I could immediately see the cyst. I squeezed around the cyst forcing it upward, trying to keep it from popping. I knew that there is a 99% chance of it not growing back if you can get it out without it rupturing in my head. The pop in the video is the cyst itself coming out. I actually reached in the sink for it and pulled it out. The cyst was a hard sac of a milky substance. It was a lot like a half cooked corn kernel... if that makes sense.

It was a perfect operation. The cyst is gone, there is little to no scaring and there seem to be no signs of it growing back.

Now I know what you''re all thinking "You should have gone to a doctor" Well I don''t have medical insurance, and i''m 90% sure the only thing they would have done differently is give me a local anesthetic, and given my a stitch. I didn''t believe I needed either. It wasnt very painful, and the bleeding stopped within minutes.

Overall a Great success Smile

You can watch the video of the popping here youtube.com/user/teek826#p/u/7/aX7TDsRJ7Yw
|

replied June 14th, 2010
Help with a sabaceous cyst
I'm 15 and... I have one in a private area of my body. It's been there almost a year. At first I set it off as a zit, and ignored it. It never gets red or anything, but recently it's been growing A LOT. I'm going to give the head pad thing a try, because I'm a little embarrassed to tell my parents. Has anyone else tried the heatpad and have it work? Please let me know. I hope it doesn't say for years...
|

replied April 24th, 2012
cyst
plz dont be embarressed to tell your mom she will know what to do!! my husband gets them on his buttocks all the time but some do get infected and he needs antibiotics otherwise he gets very sick! i dont know if your male or female but yes def! tell one of your parents
|

replied January 9th, 2011
I have had great success with castor oil packs and heat
Buy castor oil at the drug store and soak a small bit of cotton [old tee shirt cut up]
and place on the cyst. Cover with a sheet of plastic wrap or plastic bag,[ this keeps the oil off the heat bag] and use a heating pad over the whole thing
Do 2 or 3 times a day for 45 minutes to an hour or more
This has worked for me severaltimes
|

replied July 4th, 2011
Does it cause the cysts to open up? I have been trying the heating pack thing for a while now and have had to stop every so often because it sort of starts to look like the cyst is coming to a head. I don't want it to burst open as this could cause an infection and if I'm going to have a scar on my face, I'm gong to go to a plastic surgeon and just have it properly removed.

So yeah, I was wondering if this causes the cyst to burst open as it seems like that is what it wants to do when I use a heating pad.

Thanks.
|

replied July 5th, 2011
Hi guys, great news! I've removed my sebaceous cyst (the one on my right cheek, if you haven't read my previous post), and just a month after.. It's looking happy and good, save for a slight discoloration that can easily pass off as a pimple scar. I was referred to a plastic
Surgeon, and what he did was to first give me a jab to anesthetize the area. That stung just a teeny bit, but it was also the only discomfort I suffered from for the entire procedure! It wasn't that bad afterall, really. Smile He then burnt the smallest hole he could so he'd remove the contents of the Cyst using a curretting method, I think. Wasn't too sure cuz it didny hurt one bit, not even after the anesthesia wore off. The reason why he decided on 'burning' (am sorry, I've absolutely no clue what it's called in medical terms so pardon the layman's term) was because, it'd mean minimal scarring. No cutting, no stitches needed. No stitches needed, no visible scarring as for my case, the end result was a little hole that grew smaller and smaller over time, healing by itself. All he gave me was a cream to apply over it twice a day, to prevent infections till the wound wasn't so raw anymore. The redness took me about 2-3 days to subside, and so far, it's healed and I'm just waiting the discoloration to fade away with time. Hope this helped! Smile
|

User Profile
replied August 7th, 2011
i cut a cyst open on my buttock and the infection traveled all over my butt and down to my fingers. i even sterilized everything and keept putting alcohol on it as i did it...so i would just go to the doctor and have it done...be careful on cutting open a cyst..ok
|

replied January 5th, 2012
I had one on my right shoulder blade for about 10 years, it was very small for most of that time (maybe the size of a marble) and didn't give me any problems, so once a doctor identified it as a cyst (ruling out anything more serious) I didn't really give it any thought. About a year ago, it got bigger and firmer, about the size of a golf ball. It wasn't painful in and of itself, but it caused me discomfort when lying down and by rubbing on the inside of my shirt. I don't currently have health insurance, so about a week ago I decided to drain it myself (let me be clear right now - I do NOT recommend anyone do this!)

I numbed the area with an ice pack and made a small incision (maybe 1/4" long) with a hobby knife. The cut was at top of the cyst, which is probably not ideal, but having to reach around to it with my other hand it was the best I could do. Initially nothing came out, so I put a hot washcloth on the area and squeezed very hard, eventually I did start getting a very thick, waxy substance out. It didn't have any noticeable smell (which I thought was odd, everything I've read said the smell is disgusting) and it took me about an hour to get out everything I could because the incision was so small (I didn't want to make it bigger, having no way to suture it).

The area became mildly infected for a couple days after this - got very red, warm, and produced a much thinner puslike discharge from my incision. I kept draining it and bandaging with gauze and Bactine, the infection seems to have subsided now. Curiously, the skin over the lower part of the cyst (away from the incision) blistered up and is now scabbed over - is this an expected result? Could this be because of the infection, or does it indicate a more serious problem? I actually took pretty good care to be as clean as possible while doing this (sterilized the skin and knife with alcohol, wore latex gloves, kept the hole clean and bandaged, etc.) and the infection does seem to be gone now (the wound is no longer draining, inflamed, or warm) - is this something I should be worried about?
|
Quick Reply