Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Poisoning and Environmental Health Forum

Gas Fume Inhalation - harmful? how to minimize risk?

Must Read
We burp, belch and fart an average of 12 times a day. But why do we have gas? And what is intestinal gas?...the basics here....
Intestinal gas forms from two main sources - swallowed air and bacteria in the intestine. Plus, learn which factors to avoid to decrease the likelihood of gas....
How much gas is normal? Usually symptoms of gas and flatulence are more bothersome than serious. But learn when you should seek help for excessive gas here....
I have been doing landscaping this past summer and will continue it into the fall. All day I have a constant stream of fumes coming from the equipment I use. Is the constant inhalation of these fumes emitted by the gas powered machines harmful to my physiological or mental state? If so, how are they harmful? And what can I do to minimize my level of risk?

Thanks,

Sam
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 16th, 2007
Engine Fumes
Sam,

Landscaping engines by and large don't have regulated emissions.
Internal combustion engines emit mechanical energy, sound, carbon dioxide, water & heat.

The additional bad stuff can include unburnt hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, particulates, etc.

Keep engines serviced and well tuned to minimize pollutants.
See if the equipment mfg. can supply an accessory 3-way catalytic converter & heat guard.
Wear a dust mask with activated charcoal & eye/hearing protection & sun block.

You're wise for considering this. By the time you feel problems many times much damage is already done.

Also contact your local osha dept. for additional risk management info.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply