Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

"popping" Hip Pain

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Sad hi! I am only 26 years old. I was a dancer for 8 years. About 3 years ago I noticed this "popping" in my left hip. It never did bother me up until about a week ago. Now it hurts to stand, walk, run, climb stairs, and even drive for a long period of time. The pain radiates down into my thigh and knee. I have started walking with a short stride and a little limp and yesterday my ankle started hurting. Is this something to be concerned about or will it go away? Any suggestions or advice will be very helpful. Thank you to all who took time to read this. Thank you more to those who respond!

Sincerely,

Evil or Very Mad angel Twisted Evil
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper prion
|

User Profile
replied April 5th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Popping
You should defintely get this checked out, my shoulder does this a lot along with alot of my other bones and I know it does hurt!
Sincerely,
sandy
|

replied April 6th, 2004
Experienced User
Popping Hip Pain
You must have definitely hurt your back sometime and the symptoms of the old injury could be showing out. An xray of the lumbar spine would reveal if there any pathological changes. It could be sciatica due to lumbar spondylosis or just a nerve irritation/compression in the back. Homeopathic medicine has good remedies like amm mur, colocynth, mag phos to get rid of your pain and a proper follow up would be suggested by your homeopath after seeing your x ray.
Dr.Venugopal gouri
consultant homeopath.
|

replied May 2nd, 2004
I agree that it should be x-ray at once by a qualified chiropractor who deals with things like this.. It is some type of joint dysfunction which falls under the domain of chiropractic care.
|

replied May 30th, 2004
Joint Trouble
Do you mean to tell me that only chiropractors deal with joints any mds that do that?
|

replied June 26th, 2004
Orthopaedicians, orthopaedic surgeons, and sports medicine doctors also deal with bones.

Your description(the word "popping" in particular) makes me think you are suffering a condition we call "snapping hip". It frequently occurs in young athletes and dancers. In orthospeak, the snapping is caused by the iliotibial band(soft tissue) moving/snapping across the femoral greater trochanter(bony). Snapping hip may have other reasons, but since you said the pain is along your thigh and goes down to your knee, this seemed like the most logical explanation. It usually starts out painless, and may get complicated with a bursistis, or starts hurting because you have hurt the soft tissue which is snapping against the bone.

X rays will look normal, unless cartilage or bone has chipped off(doubt it, in your case)

for treatment;
(1) within the first 48 hours(after the pain starts, not the snapping) ice it, to decrease blood supply to the area, and minimise bleeding(collected blood inside your body nearly always turns into scar tissue, and that decreases mobility), plus it numbs the pain. You can ice it for 20 minutes per hour, excluding your sleeping time..At least thats what I advise my patients to do. You will also want to decrease activity.
(2) it band stretching exercises; consult a physiotherapist, s/he will teach you those, and you have to do them frequently.
(3) nsaids(non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs) will help you with the pain, although I dont advocate their usage; you can get a prescription from your doctor, I guess.
(4) modify your activity(for a while) so that you dont have to do repetitive hip movements.

Surgery may be useful if all other methods of treatment fails.

Your ankle is probably hurting because you've been limping, causing an unaccustomed stress on the ligaments keeping the bones together. Again, id recommend icing, elevation, and wear ankle supports when you have to walk.

Hope this helps.

Drvenugopal; sciatica would cause radiating pain along the posterior area of the thigh, and the popping sensation at the hip could not possibly be caused by a lumbar problem.
|

replied June 26th, 2004
Experienced User
I Agree
Snapping hip syndrome is the most likely source. It is very unlikely that the back is the causative problem. The opinions stated above point out the fallacies behind homeopathic medicine. Homeopathy perpetuates myths and conjecture clearly in an absence of a fundamental understanding of basic pathology, anatomy, and physiology. See your doctor. A real doctor. Even a chiropractor would be able to make the appropriate diagnosis.
|

User Profile
replied June 26th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Malibubarbie504
Sure hope you are doing better by now, the post was done in 04/04, if you have taken the nsaids I sure hope you are o.K. With them, their are a lot of people who have gastrointestinal(sp, stomach basically) problems, high blood pressure with them, I have tried them vioxx, celebrex, even the traditional one's, ibuprofen, tylenol, alleve, I thought I was going to die, massive headaches, nausea, they finally realized that I was allergic to them! Most surgeon's will not operate on you until after you have been on them for a while because they can thin you blood even aspirin is another anti-inflammatory and I am not saying they are bad for everyone, if they help then go for it but beware of the consequences you might pay!
But all meds have side-effects inluding herbs and naturopathic meds, if they could just quit giving us all these meds and fix the situations, it would be a lot better!
Sincerely,
sandy
|

replied March 12th, 2008
popping hip
hi, this is for malibubarbie504

ive been a dancer sense i was about 4 and im in the military security forces. i am only 20 years old and i have the same problem but i have gone to about 9 doctors and no one can come up with a real answer they all have a different diagnosis and they all have been wrong. and physical therapy and that made the problem worse. i was just wondering if maybe you had gotten the problem figured out by now? All of your symptoms sound just like mine your help would be appreciated.

V/R
Jackie
|

replied May 1st, 2009
hip pain/popping
i am 28 years old and petite. 4 foot 9. i am experiencing excruciating hip pain and the need to pop it especially at night.today my left leg went numb. i first thought it was due to giving birth to my son 6 months ago.7lbs. but its gradually getting worse. been to 4 docs. afraid they will think im looking for pain meds when in fact i need relief. i would opt for surgery if it would help. what could this be?????
|

replied November 24th, 2009
siatica with hip popping
Im 32 male same prob docs say here take these pills bin on them all now from muscle relaxers to anti inflammatorys, no improvment its been months now and cant work (Iv always done hard labor jobs)no compo even though it started at work dam, someone post a cure. tomorrow Im gona try acupuncture ill let ya all know if it helps to be a pin cushion.
|

replied November 26th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
hi...
there is a treatment for this called prolotherapy. a glucose solution is injected into the tendon to bring back blood supply and loosen up the tendon. google prolotherapy for more detailed info....pete
|

replied November 28th, 2009
Hey thanks, Ill check it out. Acupuncture helped me relax my back better than the chiropractor but did nothing for my ass Ill give anything a try.
|

replied July 27th, 2011
So I know this is a old post but Im going to post something anyways.
I am a 25 year old male with 6 years in the army and in my 6 years I've done lots and lots of running, jumping, falling down, and much more. I have almost the same story as malibubarbie50, besides the dancing. Setting down, standing, running, walking, driving my car all hurts my hips, knees, and ankles.
I had a Doc tell me I had snapping hip and put a VA calm in. The VA has taken Xrays of my hips but my fear is that if their is any soft tissue damage that it wont show up.
What else can i do to make sure nothing getting over looked?
|

User Profile
replied July 27th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
Blagg21,

A very thorough hip exam can usually pick up most problems. In cases where there is any concern, an MRI should be done to look at the soft tissues.

While a flat plate x-ray of the pelvis can pick up femoralacetabular impingement (FAI) (if the physician knows what it is and how to measure for it), degenerative changes, traumatic changes, or congenital problems, it cannot detect disorders in the soft tissues (just as you mentioned).

The MRI is very good for looking at the soft tissues. Sometimes, an arthrogram (where dye is injected into the joint) may have to be done to pick up some of the more subtle problems around the joint. They are usually done at the same time (MRI arthrogram).

If you are looking at the bony architecture, then a CT scan is actually better.

But disorders such as articular cartilage defects, tears in the labral rim, fibrotic tendons, chronic bursitis, etc are best seen with the MRI.

Good luck.
|

replied July 29th, 2011
Active User, very eHealthy
"What else can i do to make sure nothing getting over looked?"

Here are things you can do yourself:

1) Is one hip higher than the other?
2) Do both kneecaps point in straight ahead?
3) Do your knees and feet point in the same direction?
4) Do your hips have the right amount of forward tilt?
5) Do you have equal ability (both relaxed and using your muscles) for external and internal rotation of both femurs?
6) Is front split flexibility the same with both legs?

Try not to get too hung up on the pain but instead, what is CAUSING your pain.
|

replied March 30th, 2012
snapping hip syndrome. look it up :)
you have snapping hip syndrome. Go to an orthopedic clinic and have them take an x ray. If your hip is not popped out the you have snapping hip syndrome. I have it. I have bad lower back pain and a throbbing/aching pain from my left hip all the way down my left leg. I limp when I walk and it is very difficult to run and play the sport I play. My diagnosis was snapping hip syndrome which feels like my hip pops in and out and you can hear it pop. They said i also have immflamation in my hip and was prescribed an immflamatory medicine and I now have to go to physical therapy for it.
|
Quick Reply