Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Recovering Anorexic - Looking for Health Diet Recommendation

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
I finally admitted to myself that I have lost a huge an accumlating amount of weight since i entered college just because the food is simply horrible and resembles pig slop even though that how it began, but because I now have anorexia. You see when i first entered the school i was slightly over weight, but since since the food was so gross (even the salad is icky) I just found myelf not eating as much and lost the few pounds i needed to skim off. Trouble was i became terrified at gaining it back over the summer and in this fear i lost another five lbs during the summer months off, but i was still a normal weight, just on the lower end of the spectrum. I was also beginning to see that food was one of the few things i could take control of in my life (im one of those perfectionist types) and really liked that...plus i liked being thin. So when i began my second year i began to continue to slowly loose weight until i dropped below the normal in around feburary 2007. I Currently weight 96 lbs and an 5'5". Like i said, I've admitted it now to both myself and my mother and have decided to take on recovery without professional help. I've decided to go the route of a gradual increase in calories as opposed to shocking my system by suddenly intaking massive portions.

However, I was wondering a few things abotut he calories I'm going to be taken in now and if anyone else recovering or with knowledge on the topic could give me some advice.....

What are the most important nutriants for recovering anorexics to take in (protein, calicum, etc?)?

Also what are the best foods to get these nuitrants from?

In general what are some common and best foods anorexics eat in recovery?

In your opinion are yogurts, cottage cheese and quaker chewy granola bars good additions?

Finally roughly how many calories should i work myself up to? I am 96 lbs, 5'5", 20 years old. Sometimes I'm about a majority of the time I'm moderately active on weekends, but I'm lightly active during the week as my activities tend to be confined to school work at a desk and classes. I would like to work myself up to about 110-112ish.

After i reach my target weight how long should i contiue consuming large amounts of calories before i begin lowering my intake for maintainance. How do you lower your intake for maintance?

By the way, the only restrictions i have as far as food are anyhting made of a pig and I've always (my whole life since i was little) hated deep fried and sugary sweets. And as far as mental health, which i know is part of the disorder, I'm going to a support group this weekend.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 1st, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Re: Recovering Anorexic
Hi, you are taking huge steps by sharing your problems and seeking for therapy Smile
I wish you a lot of lunk. Do you have someone to talk when you are feeling low and to listen to you?
You'll need to thinks about nice goals, that should be have a regular eating and enjoying your life. Really!
You need ot recover from where you are now. Let us know how your session was.

If you need more help, just PM at anytime, Acalia!

Best wishes!
|

replied November 1st, 2007
Thanks
thanks for your kind words of support V00D00cita. I have a few people to talk to, though I'm trying to keep a low profile about having anorexia. I don't really want people making a huge deal about it and fussing all over me every second. Besides, I'm more of an animal person than a people person so my dog should be lots of comfort. Smile

I'll be sure to write another post about the support group. It's not therapy.

thanks again!
|

User Profile
replied November 2nd, 2007
Hi,
I sure understand what you mean, but it definitelly helps to have someone by you side Wink
Feel completelly free to contact me whenever you want Smile

|

replied November 4th, 2007
Support Group
oh jez.....turns out my mom actully called an over eaters anon. group....b/c there's not anorexic anon. in my area or w/e. But they told her on the phoen they could help me too. But then i go there they give me this list of foods to choose from the portions and they tell me that as an anorexic i should stick to that plan........meanwhile it worth like 1200 tops per day....and NO CARB WHATSOEVER were allowed! The leader had to be crazy! She know I was anorexic and she's telling me to follow a diet meant for over eaters!!!! Insane! I just hope that I'm the only anorexic she gave such advice too. As for the meeting, i hated it. We read from an alcohoics anon. book and discussed the passage and....all the other overeater ladies (who where all at least 40+ years my senior) told their stories and blah blah...oh it was horrible. But I just can't help being disturbed by the advice she gave me. Made me feel so sick. I swear....won't be going back
|

User Profile
replied November 5th, 2007
Geez... guess that was not a good experience for you. Well, don't give up! Doy ou want to talk more privately?
What do you think you'll do next?
|

replied November 6th, 2007
talking on the message board is fine. Do next? Well, I'm just going to keep tracking my caloric intake and increasing it gradually until i reach my target weight. I really prefer doing things on my own rather that getting people involved. Only two people who i truly trust will not judge me know I have anorexia as it is and that's more than enough. I don't want everyone's perspective about me to change.

btw, you never mentioned what your experience with anorexia was? what'd ur background?
|

User Profile
Re: Reply
Acalia wrote:
talking on the message board is fine. Do next? Well, I'm just going to keep tracking my caloric intake and increasing it gradually until i reach my target weight. I really prefer doing things on my own rather that getting people involved. Only two people who i truly trust will not judge me know I have anorexia as it is and that's more than enough. I don't want everyone's perspective about me to change.

Those two goals seem very good to me. Smile You'll make it. Oh, I know former anorectics that took vitamins and supplies, like Centrum (do you know what this is?) to help them, until they got to a nice weight and body structure. That helps a lot a doesn't have bad effects, really. It doesn't need prescription, but you can ask at the drugstore Smile
|

Vits
I do take vitamins. A calcium/zinc/magnesium tablet twice a day since i need work in those areas. Yes i have heard of centrium and actully took it for a few months at one point. But I actully good at getting all the vitamins despite anorexia for some reason. I take careful note of my intake.
|

User Profile
replied November 8th, 2007
Lol, you must overcome that, but if you are talking other things, that's fine. Keep doing that and don't think too much about the intake. Wink
|

Intake
i have to take note of intake to make sure im eating enough. if i dont then i tend to undereat. Most anorexics have professional adding up their cals, but since im on my own i have to be extra strong and do it myself. Believe me its hard looking at the numbers, but i force myself to eat until i've reached the right amount.
|

User Profile
Ok, i know about that Smile
What I mean is that you need rest and fun Wink
|

replied June 1st, 2009
Recovering!!!!!
Hi there!
I am very pleased you want help!
I am new to the forum!!
I am a recovering anorexic and it is going quite well. I'm attending an eating disorder clinic (initially against my will) and they have explained to me the calories etc... I need to put on weight steadily (around 1lb a week).

Breakfast - 2 slices toast with spread or bowl of cereal

Snack - Yoghurt/pancake/scone/bun/crisps etc...

Lunch - Sandwhich with protein filling (ham, chicken, cheese) and with butter or mayo, followed by a lighter desert (yoghurt/apple etc...)
You need a source of carbohydrate, dairy and protein

Snack 4pm - SAME AS FOODS AS SNACK BEFORE carbohydrate

Dinner - carbohyrates such as 2 small potatoes, rice, cous cous, pasta or bread
- source of protein such as sausage, 3 fishfingers, chicken breast, mince (2 ladels), steak, pork, fish
- vegetables
Dessert - cheesecake, custard

Supper - toast/ cereal/ tea and biscuits etc...

Keep your fluids up so you don't get dehydrated, milk is great and it also coats your stomach so you will belch less often!

Carbohydrates are good as they release energy and put on muscle rather than fat.

You need the 2-3 portions of protein to encourage muscle building so your strength increases

Vegetables are needed to get your vitamins so your nails and hair etc... will become stronger. Vit C is needed to absorb iron especially for muscle building and greens are great too.

Dairy is vital to maintain calcium as you don't want to lose bone mass. I have severe osteoporosis and i'm 16 so not fun!

One suggestion I have is to eat REALLY slowly chewing everything right down. You won't get as full as fast or feel bloated. Initially you might bloat slightly but that is only due to water retention it's not actual weight going on but it can be a bit frightening. Also, maybe avoid really spicey foods initially as they could result in indigestion.

Good luck and I hope you succeed!!
|

replied June 25th, 2009
help?
i have recently become anorexic.. it kinda happened before i realized.. i only eat 200 calories a day tops and walk 6 miles a day plus two hours at the gym... my family is starting to notice the drop, its not anything massive yet and i would say i look unhealthy, but its probably coming to that soon
|

replied June 26th, 2009
Honestly, don't let it get that far.
PLEASE
It's a million times worst to correct
I have had anorexia for two years.
A BMI of 14 and now i have osteoporosis, caused permenant damage to my heart, am anaemic and on 20 tablets a day.
Stop it while you can
xo
|

replied January 20th, 2010
Recovering Anorexia
I'm 12 years old and right now seeking reatment for anorexia. I'm eatting right now 2200 calories a day and with no exercise. When I started I weighed aound 92 lbs. but now weigh 96. When you first start you will prolly lose weigh becuz ur metabolism starts up again. Good luck! I hope I helped! Smile
|

replied April 12th, 2010
Anorexia recovery
Hi, I have recently begun recovery from anorexia, at my low point i was admitted because I was ketonic (basically in severe starvation mode I think). For me the mental effect was the worst, food fascinated me but terrified me too. I never wanted to lose weight which has in a way made recovery easier I guess.

Just keep thinking of all the positive things you are missing out on because of your stupid obsession, I used to swim and play tennis and now I have to ask permission to go on a 20 min walk on a sunny day Sad.

Can anyone recommend specific meals/foods for recovery? I love being healthy and have recently started eating peanut butter, bananas, avocados etc. again.
|

replied February 20th, 2012
Recovering Anorexic...What do I do now?!?!
Hi, after about a year of intense exercise and 1600 cal of food on average per day, I had lost about 18 lbs. Suddenly in April of last year the weight stopped coming off at 110 lbs. I resorted to eating around 400-800 cal per day and had all of the psychological symptoms of anorexia. I was anorexic for about 9 months and realized that I was actually gaining all of the weight I lost (healthily) back and was now back to my starting weight of 128 lbs. How is this even possible??? I was sick of gaining weight and not enjoying food so I did some research and found somewhere where it said that recovered anorexics can loose weight because their metabolisms are revved up when you start eating normally again. After starting to eat about 1300-1600 cal per day I thought I was loosing weight initially but now I feel extremely big and getting bigger.... please help. I feel like if this feeling continues I am just going to fall back to my old habits
|