Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Nuva Ring Allergic Reaction (Page 1)

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
I have been experiencing a painful and unbearable allergic reaction to my birth control only during and after intercourse. This allergic reaction is a very strong burning sensation and intense redness and swelling of the entire genital area that lasts for several minuets (something like a ½ hour or more). I considered the possibility that I may be allergic to my partners semen (which has been reported to be an actual medical problem) so to test this theory we used a condom along with the nuva ring but the painful burning allergic reaction would still appear during and strongly after intercourse (so much so that I could not move from so much pain and my boyfriend had to help me into a warm bath to sooth the irritation). I couldn’t take it anymore it was just too painful! I switched to a different form of birth control (the pill) to see if I was having an allergic reaction to the nuva ring and within a week the allergic reaction did not reoccur. I was thrilled that I found a solution to this very painful problem. I talked to my doctor to explain what happened and she didn’t seem too convinced that was what was going on. She told me that maybe I just became accustom to my partners semen that it wasn’t causing an allergic reaction anymore. I when with this theory of hers both because my life is so hectic and my schedule is so crazy consequently I kept forgetting to take my pill… so I went back on the nuva ring. It took no time at all for the problem to be back! The first time I became intimate with the nuva ring in place I was having the same awful allergic reaction. I am getting off of this form of birth control for good now and sticking with the pill. I am going to try and use Yaz. I have never heard of such an allergic reaction to a BC...
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper diamondsr4ever
|

replied October 31st, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I don't think it's an allergic reaction at all. I think it was friction due to the ring being in during sex!! I think it was rubbing against the inside of your vagina and scraping it raw. That's why you still felt horrid even when he used a condom. It wasn't the semen or the ring; it was friction and abrasions. This can be solved by taking the ring out when you have sex. This is completely safe! You can take it out for up to 3 hours.
|

replied October 31st, 2007
Experienced User
I don't think it's the ring either. If you ever go back on the ring just make sure to take it out like Eiri said.When your done just wash it off with lukewarm water.
|

replied November 1st, 2007
Eiri wrote:
This can be solved by taking the ring out when you have sex. This is completely safe! You can take it out for up to 3 hours.

It really doesnt reduce the effectiveness???
|

replied November 1st, 2007
Especially eHealthy
ruwierd2 wrote:
Eiri wrote:
This can be solved by taking the ring out when you have sex. This is completely safe! You can take it out for up to 3 hours.

It really doesnt reduce the effectiveness???

Absolutely not Smile
|

User Profile
replied November 2nd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
When I was on the ring, after about a year of using it, I started to experience that too, even if I took the ring out right before and used lots of lube. My doc didn't believe me that it was the ring, but as soon as I stopped it, I felt better.

Try taking it out like the ladies said, but if that doesn't work, just switch. I got to the point where I hated sex because it hurt so bad every time, and I couldn't find anything wrong except once I stopped using the ring I was instantly better.
|

replied April 11th, 2012
I just started using the ring. AFter a week of having it in, I took it out and had sex with my boyfriend. My vagina immediately had a burning sensation and got really swollen - inside and out. I have a lot of food and environmental allergies, so i assumed it was an allergy to Nuva Ring, aggravated by the friction of sex. but my friends who are clinicians said they've never heard of this reaction!

has anyone been formally diagnosed as having a NR allergy by a doctor?
|

replied March 16th, 2008
Reaction to NuvaRing
I think I am experiencing the same symtoms with the Nuva Ring--went to OBGyn: totally negative for all infections, etc. Still having irritation around vaginal opening--burning, redness, discharge. Extremely uncomfortable. Am going to try not using the ring and see what happens. Thanks for the postings.
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Let us know how it goes when you take it out- I'm curious if this is a more common side effect than we know about.

I thought it was a yeast infection at first so I tried to treat it, then I thought it wasn't enough lube so I tried using store bought lube, then I finally just stopped using the ring and I was miraculously cured!
|
Users who thank Georgia59 for this post: hellocharmain 

replied August 29th, 2009
I am having this too. It has even been giving me bleeding and I have not had sex in a week because it was too painful. Only had sex twice since I got it and used a condom with my partner of 2 years. Ouch!! I'm glad I'm not the only one
|

replied October 14th, 2009
Extra sensitivity, try an alternative
I had the same reaction, and I never had sex with it in (creeped my boyfriend out)I think the ring just makes some people extra sensitive. When I told my doctor he was skeptical as well, but after a month of pain I couldn't take it anymore. I personally switched to depo provera. it's great if you cant handle the everyday method, you take it once every 3 months.
|

replied November 11th, 2009
i experienced the same exact problems. my vaginal area would swell up and burn and the sex was so painful i hated it! i was a virgin to my partner so i thought he might have given me and std but tested negatively and then i thought it might be a yeast infection but even after using treatments i would experience the same symptoms. then my boyfriend and i broke up and i didnt have sex for over a year and when i started going out with my new boyfriend and we started having sex we were using condoms and i had absolutely no pain and started loving sex. then i had the brilliant idea of starting nuvaring again and just as soon as i started the sex became so painful and my vaginal area started swelling up again and so it became quite obvious to me that the problem was with the ring. also my doctor told me that the ring makes you more likely to get infections and that if i felt any discomfort again to discontinue immediately. i stopped using it and i am back to normal and no more pain during sex. also i had other symptoms like my breast became huge and tender, i gained a lot of weightl, i became uncontrollably moody and angry. i think some people are not meant to use it, i never will again!!!
|

User Profile
replied November 11th, 2009
i thought nuva ring was recalled?? there is comercials for it all the time! maybe call the number if see the commerical for it. nuva ring, yaz, and yazmin its for
|

replied November 25th, 2009
Help?! I'm not sure what's going on, but my boyfriend and I have talked about it and thought maybe it was an allergic reaction. I've been on Nuva Ring since 2008 Dec. In Jan I started getting these quick server pains in my pelvic area. They only last about a minute but it's severe enough pain that I have to grab onto something to help me stay standing and take deep breaths. My DR wouldn't take me serouisly. They've tested me for UTI and I've been treated for 3 of them this year alone. But even after medicine and a couple times of being tested and not having a UTI, the pain is still there.

It happens mostly when I get aroused, before or after sex, and occasionaly just completely randomly and out of the blue. I now have no health and insurance and go to a woman's health clinic who I know won't do anything to help.
|

replied June 27th, 2010
So iv been on the Nuva ring for almost 3 weeeks, the only side effects that iv noticed are that my boobs are very sore and tender all the time, i feel like im constantly retaining water around my tummy....and sex...!**@! its awful.. iv attempted it twice...the first time everything went well untill he came inside me....it burned so badly i almost wanted to cry.. and it continued to burn deep within my vagina for the next day or so until i googled a bit i tried taking it out to rinse it, that seemed to make the burning pain go away. The next time i took the ring out for sex, we played gentle and it was great... untill he cummed in me and after the sex it was in even worse pain! WUT THE HECK IS GOING ON? my boyfriend has cumed in me on the pill before and i neverhad this reaction..... this has to have somthing to do with the nuva ring.. and i wanna know will it go away?, can it be abvoided? or am the nuva ring and i just not a match made in heaven? someone please help!
|

replied September 27th, 2010
I used the ring for one month and it was exacly the same. I don't think it was the friction, because it burned inside, ouside, everywhere. My boyfriend had to help me go to the tub with warm water too, pretty similar story.
I thought that i had an infection, or maybe was less lub because of the ring. Even after removing it the pain lasted for some days and i didn't wanted to have sex - i felt like but i was afraid of the pain after.

Now i started on the pill and finally my boyfriend convenced me to have sex again. I was pretty frightened at first, but it all went normal. It was not an infection, because i didn't did anything to heal it. It was the ring, I am sure... I have one extra on the fridge, but i don't think i'll put it again.
|
Users who thank tabas for this post: hellocharmain 

replied October 7th, 2010
this same exact thing is happening to me! i went to the dr today and he told me that i am having an allergic reaction to it! mine is so bad right now that the walls of my vagina are bleeding! i have been on the ring since september 2007 and this all started in january 2009. finally today my new dr took me seriously! he told me to stay off the ring for 3 months and then put one back in. if the same thing happens again, then im getting new birth control! go to your dr and tell them whats going on! if your dr wont take you seriously, then get a new one! this is the 5th one ive seen about this! people who think its "friction" dont understand the amount of pain sex causes!
|

replied November 7th, 2010
omg thanks for this thread i am having the exact same problem im going to the doctor asap
|

replied January 25th, 2011
Allergic reaction to ring.. but not during sex
I have been on the ring now for about 6 years now...never experienced any sort of discomfort or negative side effects until recently. I feel pressure when I sit down so bad that I have to stand up. Abdomen pains that get so severe that I want to cry, I've even thought about having someone take me to the ER! Reading these posts have concerned me that I'm just allergic to the nuvaring, because sex doesn't hurt and all the problems I have been getting occur during my normal activities throughout the day. First came spotting, which made me worried that I might be pregnant; I still have one week until I have to take the ring out and start my period. I've gone through 3 days of spotting now, and today I have started to get lower abdominal pains. I can't sit down with my legs crossed or I feel a huge amount of pressure on my uterus (which means that its probably swollen and irritated). I also found online today symptoms of having allergic reactions due to the ring and all the symptoms I have are in the sever section: headaches, swelling of the fingers (out of nowhere my fingers swell up at night and are swollen in the morning, swell down after I've been awake for a bit), spotting, darkened urine (which also happened out of nowhere and has been going on for over a week), stomach pains, etc. I'm going to see a doctor tomorrow, I'm wondering if I should take the ring out tonight or wait to see what my doctor says. If I am unable to get myself in to see a doctor then I will take it upon myself to remove the ring in hopes that these problems will go away. I have been stressed that I might be pregnant. Now after doing more research online I am just confused and I really don't know what to think. Could these allergic reactions be caused because I lost about 15lbs in the past 3 months and haven't mentioned this to the doctors at planned parenthood who prescribed me the birth control, or does weight have nothing to do with it?
|

replied February 24th, 2011
For those of you who think that this is caused by friction, and that removing the ring during sex will resolve the pain and burning YOU ARE WRONG!!!I have had the ring for over a year and the burning during and after sex occures almost every time during sex. When i had my yearly check up this year the dr. seemed to be surprised that this was happening. I called the obgyn a week latter to see if I had an abnormal pap and they said no everything was fine. Still not sure why this burning exsist since i have been using the ring.
|

replied March 9th, 2011
Allergic Reaction to Nuva Ring
So I've had the ring for almost 4 years and I've never had a problem, or my partner for that matter... until 2 weeks ago. I started dating a new guy and we used condoms at first - no problem. When the relations ship got more serious, we talked and decided that condoms weren't really so necessary. After sex he broke out in a rash! We thought it was just an allergic reaction to something else, and it started to go away. The next time we had sex the rash came back. I thought it might be a yeast infection that I was spreading to him only I wasn't noticing any symptoms yet (I knew from experience and previous doctor's that the ring upset hormone levels and could cause them as you got closer to your period).
I went to the doctor today... let me add I was just there last week for my OBGYN appt and had them do a full STD work up (I do this perodicaly for piece of mind since a split with a cheating boyfriend). Everything was negative... even the Pap was normal. The doctor and I had a long discussion about the rash on my boyfriend and turns out the culprit was the ring. If the ring can upset your own body to cause yeast infections until your body gets use to it... then when new bacteria (from his skin) enter the "environment" that balance is thrown off again and can cause irritation in you, and as I've learn today, on him. The doctor's recommendation was to give it time and let "our bodies get use to each other" or switch bc. I switched to the depot shot.
|
12 >>