Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Can you control your sleeping pattern and amend it ?

Hi everyone. My first post on the forum so just to quickly introduce myself. Im Jack and im half way through my royal marines application. Going in for training in the near future hopefully!

Basically was just wondered is it possible to control your sleeping pattern and amend it? I mean while training for the marines u get very little sleep and are also required to lose even less to get ur ironing done etc on your own time. So was wondering if anyone has any advice on if its possible to slowly take time off number of hours u sleep a night gradually until u get it down to 5 or 6. Would ur body eventually adjust or would it always be lacking in energy. Just you hear of maggy thatcher etc going on 4 or 5 hours sleep a night. CHEERS FELLAS!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 29th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
6-8 hours of sleep is the recommended time. I wouldn't suggest getting less than 6. I go on about 6-7 and I'm fine.

It is completely possible to adjust your sleep cycle. You don't need to slowly take off time. Just do it. Set your alarm for 6 or 7 hours later and wake up. You may be a little tired the first day, but after that you should be fine.
|

replied October 30th, 2007
brilliant thanks. set the alarm tonight Wink So you say that after first day or two my body will be fine but will my physical strength or endurance drop as a result of not as much time recouperating?
|

replied October 30th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I have no idea. You may be tired for a day to two, that's all I can say. It won't drop permanently.
|

replied November 6th, 2007
Amend Sleeping Time
I think that you can mantain a sleeping pattern by going to sleep at the exact same time each night/day and waking up at the exact same time. The first day second day or week may be rough with your hours but you will get used to it. Im not exactly sure if you will be extremely tired or not. If so, then here are some tips.
- if your eyes feel heavy (put cold cold water on a paper towel hold it on your eyes for 2 mins. IT WAKES YOU UP! AND REDUCESTHE HEAVY FEELING
i wish the best for ya.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
It is something that is defiently possible.
At current I get quite a lot of sleep however I've gone through stages of being awake for more than 100 hours, or getting around 2 or 3 a night.
It isn't ideal but it's doable.
As silly as it sounds the amount of sleep you get before midnight actually restores your body more, so if it's at all possible I suggest you go to bed early and wake up early
lol even if thats 11:30 instead of midnight.

Try to get blocks of sleep, 20 minutes during lunch, an hour in the afternoon and morning than night really wont do much for you ...get all your sleeping done at once.

Things like fruit wake you up and give you more energy than caffiene so in the mornings grab an apple over coffee.

Hope some of that is a little useful, oh and welcome Smile

xx
|

Especially eHealthy
True. For actual restive sleep you have to go through the REM (dream) stage, That can take on average 30 minutes to reach, so anything less than that is just a "cat" nap that my physically restore you, but leave you mentally exhausted.
|