Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Leg Problems???

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
The last week or so everytime I lay on my back both upper legs get all tingly and go numb then after a few mins of that I get a sharp pain. What is wrong with me??? Should I be worried?? Should I see a dr right away or can I wait 2 weeks til I go to me next OB? Is there something I can do to help it??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 29th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
it's sciatica, it's very common in pregnancy and there's no need to call your doctor. there's not much that you can do for it, you could try to look up some exercises that might offer some relief. when it's bothering you change positions or get up and try to walk it off.

it'll most likely go away completely after you have your baby.
|

Thank you!!!
|

Especially eHealthy
yep sounds like sciatica
ive got it

how far along are you?
|

im 9 weeks about
|

replied October 30th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
oh i didnt know sciatica could start that soon?
at your next dr appt ask him about it and see what he thinks

welcome to the many pains of pregnancy lol
|

User Profile
Experienced User
oh sicatica can start that soon...one of the first things that started happening ot me was sciatic pain...right away at about 6 weeks it started. Everything is enlarged and pushes on the sciatic nerve...unfortunately it gets worse as the pregnancy goes on. The only thing that has helped me is massage therapy.
Good luck...and try not to lay on your back...even though you are only 9 weeks...try your side...preferably your left side too, may help.
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
You can definitely get sciatica that early as well as circulation issues. I had problems with my arms going numb and hands falling asleep very early in pregnancy (around 7 or 8 weeks). My doc told me it's basically pregnancy related carpal tunnel syndrome due to the increased plasma levels pushing on nerves; I'm sure similar can happen with the sciatic nerve. I would mention it to your doc and start trying to lie on your side instead.
|

Especially eHealthy
Oh I agree, sciatica can start early and worsen from there - sadly Sad

I did physical therapy to no avail. I was nearly bed bound due to excrutiating pain by the end of pregnancy. Because of that terrible experience I've never had more children. It was that bad for me - I would never wish to relive a fraction of that pain.

Please be sure to tell your doctor any pain you are having and don't let him tell you it is normal. Demand to have something done about it. While some pain can be normal, excrutiating pain is not.

Good luck!

Oh, and swimming is fantastic for taking the pressure off.
|

Ingi wrote:
Oh I agree, sciatica can start early and worsen from there - sadly Sad

I did physical therapy to no avail. I was nearly bed bound due to excrutiating pain by the end of pregnancy. Because of that terrible experience I've never had more children. It was that bad for me - I would never wish to relive a fraction of that pain.

Please be sure to tell your doctor any pain you are having and don't let him tell you it is normal. Demand to have something done about it. While some pain can be normal, excrutiating pain is not.

Good luck!

Oh, and swimming is fantastic for taking the pressure off.

WOW... that bad yikes! i hope It wont get that bad for me. But thank you for the suggestion of swimming!
|

User Profile
replied November 1st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
My legs seem to go numb when I'm on my side, I'm 16wks and scared to have to lay on my side to sleep. although it may just be a circulation problem. My doctor just left and I'm struggling to find another one to ask. Plus it's kind of dificult to swim in november when you live in the middle of nowhere. EX. my hospital is an hour away if we fly down the road.
|

Especially eHealthy
Lilly Ivy wrote:
My legs seem to go numb when I'm on my side, I'm 16wks and scared to have to lay on my side to sleep. although it may just be a circulation problem. My doctor just left and I'm struggling to find another one to ask. Plus it's kind of dificult to swim in november when you live in the middle of nowhere. EX. my hospital is an hour away if we fly down the road.

Pregnant women should not sleep on their backs. It can hinder circulation to the baby. Left side is the side to lay on. If you are having problems, it may be due to circulation. You can try bunching up pillows and propping yourself around them maybe?
|

Especially eHealthy
Lilly Ivy wrote:

you should lay on your back side and never on your back or tummy
|

User Profile
replied November 2nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
yeah i had sciatica all the way through my pregnancy. hopefully it wont happen this time round. i didnt know you couldnt lay on your back. i always did until my tummy got too big and when i started to get heartburn at night. oh the joys of pregnancy!
|