Medical Questions > Cancer > Prostate Cancer Forum

CT Scan For Prostate Cancer or Diagnostics?

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
Hi, My husband is going for a CT scan tomorrow , he has been having Prostate problems for a few months, first they said it was an inflamed prostate and put him on antibiotics, it didnt help so they did another exam and are now sending him fora CT scan, since he didnt ask the right ( or hardly any questions) when he was at the drs., Im wondering if he is being sent for the CT scan because they suspect cancer or just because it will show more ( if anything), just thought maybe someone else has been thru this, Im very anxious for him, and keep thinking the worst. Thanks Sandie
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 30th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
What kind of prostate problems he was having for the past few months?
I guess he had a rectal digital exam and ultrasound for checking the prostate.
Do you know if he was tested for PSA levels in his blood?
This two exams( PSA and rectal digital exam ) are the basic one for early detection of prostate cancer.
Ct scan is used as an additional test to determine if cancer has spread beyond the prostate identifying abnormal lymph nodes in the pelvis and abdomen.
Ct scan is not providing good information for prostate condition or stage of cancer, so, it is useful when combined with other tests.
Are you informed that before Ct scan is performed, food and liquids must be avoided for a few hours?
|

replied October 30th, 2007
Thanks for answering , yes we know about the no food and liquids, also he will have to drink something they give him plus have an IV, they did do a rectal exam, and urine test in the office, thats when they put him on the antibiotics, saying it was an inflamed prostate his symtoms are pain in that area, and not being able to urinate right away, but does have to go alot.The discomfort is what bothers him the most, (they did do an ultrasound befoe as well and said it showed nothing, so I gues its more waiting, he goes today at 5:15PM. Thanks Sandie
|

User Profile
replied October 31st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Wishing you and your husband all best!
Please, share with us the newest information as soon as you can.
|

replied July 23rd, 2009
My father just went this morning to get his and I was wondering the same thing he went through what your husband is dealing with and they put a dye to see what was going on. I really think that they are looking to see if any cancer has spread anywhere else. I know one thing my father has recovered from Prostate he got his treatments and he has been doing wonderful, I just think they are doing his annual check to be on the safe side. But for sure if nothing else I believe God has healed him and no cance will be found I suggest if you have try everything and nothing else has worked you need to pray and trust God!!!
|

replied April 26th, 2012
Can steroid injections cause prostate problems?
Have had symptoms of prostitis for over 3 months taking cipro and now cefuroxime and tamsulosin,Have not gotten better.PSA test came back normal.Took ct scan still waiting for results.Originally I got ran over working as a land surveyor,have had neck and lower back surgery.Had steroid injections and it burned me down there awhile back.Now I have this prostate problem.I am wondering if the steroid shots stirred up this mess? Or maybe even a combination.Hope this ct scan tells it all, I am miserable
|