Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Mitral Valve Prolapse ; MVP Diagnosis

Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
For as long as I can remember I have had a very active form of MVP. Diagnosed as a child and periodically till now. So I have never given it much thought. However I just spoke with a nurse who said that some cases need surgery Shocked . My case is one of the most active that I have every heard of and the nurse that I spoke with said it is a sever case. Have any of you heard of MVP or have/had it. I have looked up alot of info over the years on it.. it is just that the thought of surgery is freaking me out. Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 19th, 2007
It's about 3 weeks since you posted this, so I don't if you will see this reply. I had MVP diagnosed about 4 years ago. The cardiologist said it wasn't serious, but at some point down the road, I would probably need surgery to correct it. To make a long story short, it got quickly worse a couple of years later, and I had open heart surgery to correct it. They put a plastic collar around the valve, which is the mildest solution; sometimes people need either a artificial valve or a pig/cow valve replacement.

I was 57 yrs old when I had the surgery. It was 100% successful; in fact, the whole thing was so non-traumatic, that I've had flu and seasickness that were much worse than the whole surgery experience. The cardiologist doesn't want to see me for 5 years!

So, the key issues for you:
- what is your age?
- do you have any other medical conditions which might impact the heart? (diabetes, overweight, smoking, etc)
- are you under the care of a cardiologist? (ESSENTIAL!)

A cardiologist will monitor the MVP with regular echocardiograms. If it is severe, I'm surprised that no one has suggested surgery sooner rather than later. The younger you are when you have it (anytime after 40 or 45 year old) the better your body can recover quickly from it. I was back at work 4 weeks later.

I hope you are getting some encouragement from somewhere . . . if you see this post and answer it, I will be notified by email and will answer you in turn. Above all, don't freak out thinking about the surgery. This surgery is performed hundreds of times a week in the US, and is 99% successful, and those that aren't almost ALWAYS fail because of an accompanying medical condition like I mentioned above.
|
Did you find this post helpful?