Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Community Chat Forum

How Old Were You? (Page 1)

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
User Profile
When You Had Your First Pap?..
I was 15...and my dr. at the time never said
anything about me being so young and being sexually
active..
now that i am 18 and have a new dr.
everytime i go in (now that i have HPV i have to go every
3 months)... he gives me this lecture about "sleeping around"
and being so young (i've had 3 serious partners since i was 14)

just wanted some opinions...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I was 16. She never said much, really. She just told me to use protection and be safe. And she hugged me afterwards...which was odd, and made me feel really awkward.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
i don't know i just kinda feel like it's unnecessary..
i'm in a very serious relationship right now
and at my colposcopy my dr. asked me
"are you in a serious relationship?"
and i told him "yeah"
and then he asked me "are you going to get married"
and i told him that i did not know
and he waslike "well you need to stop sleeping around"

which i felt was really unnecessary
after i had just been through what i had
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Are you joking?! He said that?? What did you say to him? He obviously doesn't know the definition of sleeping around, and is also way out of line to tell you that you are.
I would be very upset if that happened to me. I'm very sorry.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
i was really upset
i didn't say anything b/c i was still all teary-eyed from the colpo..
but my mom was there and after he left shetold me it was okay
and that i wasn't "sleeping around"
|

Especially eHealthy
tell ur parents.

that guy crossed the line, hun.
time for a new gyno.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Yeah, seriously. I was wondering if he's even allowed to say that...
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
my mom was right there
but i can't change gynos...
b/c our insurance ONLY covers him..
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I was 14 when i had my first pap. No one has ever said anything about me sleeping around, honestly, I don't think anyone has asked me how many partners I've had Confused Not that it is any of their business. (my RE paperwork does ask me how many partners I've had in the past 2 years, but that is unrelated)

The closest thing like that to happen to me was when I was 17. I had a lapse in insurance. I called to cancel my appointment for birth control because I couldn't afford it. My actual doctor called me back to confirm that I wasn't going to be receiving any birth control. I told him I could afford it the following month and I would see him then. THEN he asked if I was in a serious relationship. I told him that I was, but that we weren't sleeping together. Then he was fine. I'm pretty sure he was thinking about giving it to me for free until I could afford it.

But, your doctor crossed the line. What you need to do is call the insurance company and file a complaint. Then you need to get online and find as many government agencies as possible that you can file a complaint as well.

What happens if he says this to some 15 year old sexually active girl and she feels so ashamed/embarrassed in the future that she lies to her doctors? That could have serious consequences, he needs to be aware of that.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
so i go online and file a complaint?...
so no one has ever been asked how many partners they've had?...
i think they were blaming me having 3 partners by the time
i was 18 on my having HPV...
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
I was *cough* older than I should have been when I got my first pap. 24. Sad My first pap was the one they gave me at the beginning of my pregnancy. I regret not going sooner. Thank God everything came back normal.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Marfa2107 wrote:
so i go online and file a complaint?...
so no one has ever been asked how many partners they've had?...
i think they were blaming me having 3 partners by the time
i was 18 on my having HPV...

Maybe no one asked me because everything always came back normal? Still, they have no right to pass judgment on how you got hpv. Many women only sleep with one man and still get it. It just like pregnancy, it only takes one time. Isn't that what they tell us?
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
I would have turned around and asked him how many sexual partners he's had. How dare he judge you? You're there for treatment, not a lecture. He's not your daddy - he's your doctor. Just, eww. I would definitely file a complaint.
|

Experienced User
I agree with the previous posts.. he crossed the line. I was 17-18 for my first pap and was with my, now, hubby.. She asked if I was active and I told her I was and she put me on b/c... the end. She never asked how many or made any other comment. I would find out if I could change dr's.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
well they asked me how many partners i'd had at my Pap
in August
before they even knew i had HPV...
and it was his nurse practitioner..
the same lady that did my pap
|

Supporter
I was 17 when I had my first one and that was when I was pregnant. I didn't get one when I started be sexually active even though I know you are supposed to...I was scared

And as for the gyno that said that to you, I would have said something really smart back to him...
|

User Profile
Supporter
i was 17.. i only had sex with shawn and we have only been active for about 6 or so months when i had it.. because i was preggo
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I was 18 and I was a virgin. The only partner I have ever had is my husband and we even waited until our wedding night.

Guess they didn't need to lecture me. Lol
|

Extremely eHealthy
Just because you have HPV dosen't mean you've had many partners. I've never had it but did a reasearch project on it my first year in college. You can even have one partner and get it. You can also carry it for many years before it's even noticed on a pap smear. Do you know which stran you have?

As for the doctor, it shouldn't matter. That has no hold as far as your treatment is concerned. And I would tell them that as well. And yes I would make it a point to complain!

To answer your question though... I had my first pap at 16 and the only time that question was brought up was on the forms I had to fill out. I think it's on most forms though at OB/GYN's offices. But you are NOT required to fill it in!
|

Active User, very eHealthy
I was 20 when I had my first pap and had been sexually active for a year. I think I was asked how many partners I had had like within the last few months or something like that.
|
12 >>