Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Is Coughing And Ear Problems Connected?

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
A week back i noticed a wax plug in my 6 yr old son's ear. I looked again today and it was still there. Knowing very well not to stick things into the ear, i wanted to gently touch the wax to see if it was soft or hardened. It was not too deep in the ear as it was visible to my eyes. I took one side of a hair slide and very slowly and gently touched it. My aim was not to remove it, but to touch it and find out if it was soft or hard. It took me a few tries to touch it, that is how slow and gentle i was. As soon as i touched it my son cried with pain and began coughing. He coughed for 10 minutes. I will take him to the doctor to have it checked out. But why did he cough? For the last three months, he has had a cough that doesnt seem to go away. He creeps up at about 3am and disappears around 7:30am. The doctor has prescribed cough medicine, but it hasnt taken this cough away fully. At times the cough is more often, and sometimes little, but its there. What do you think is going on? Question
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 8th, 2007
Ear Tissue/nerves And Coughing
My name is Nathan, I am by no meens a doctor but I do know something about the way the ear works.

There is a nerve running through a part of the ear called the Vagus nerve, this nerve can and will cause coughing.

If in some way the ear is tickled or the tissue inside the ear near that nerve is damaged it can cause coughing.

I would hope that there is no way his nerve itself is damaged, as I did this when I was a child and it took surgery to fix.

I hope this was helpful. Best of luck!
|

User Profile
replied November 8th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
get him in and get his ear cleaned. i firmly beleive that shouldnot be happening.
|