Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Petroleum Jelly

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
aka vasaline..
is it okay to use just inside of the vagina? i have a tear that wont seem to heal and i know that vasaline is a skin protectant.. is it safe??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 28th, 2007
Supporter
as long as it's just inside of the vagina i suppose you could give it a try... it's not gonna do you real damage but it should not be used regularly or anything. oil based things really shouldnt be used in there i don't think!! how did you get a cut there and how long has it been there? whenever i have had cuts around the vagina before i usually found the best way to get them to go away was to leave them alone as best as possible!! avoid sex. wash really really gently and dont use soap on the cut itself because it seemed to irritate me even more. and after you have peed, instead of wiping, just sort of press the toilet paper against yourself instead of wiping cos i found that stretching the skin like that opened the cut up again. hope some of this is helpful...
|

User Profile
replied October 28th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I don't think that it would hurt, but I don't think it will help either. Your vagina does a really good job of keeping itself clean and sanitary, that's why you have all sorts of mucus and secretion. The vaginal secretions will probably do the job that the jelly would do, and probably rinse out all the jelly too.

As far as I know, though, it would be perfectly safe. The only reason you aren't supposed to put oil based things in your vagina is because it breaks down condoms. If that's not a concern for you, don't worry about it.

Your vagina should do a good job of healing itself. If it's not, I would be a little concerned. What did you do? Was it a sex tear or something?
|
Quick Reply