Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Keppra & Depression

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
I have been on keppra since january 2004. I have also been having serious "down" times. I've read the list of side effects of keppra and have not found depression to be one of them. I read in the forum however that depression can be a side effect. Have any of you on keppra suffered this side effect and if so what have you done to help it? Did you have to change meds, wait it out awhile, or take other drugs in addition to the keppra?

Thanks for all your help Exclamation
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Michele307
|

replied April 17th, 2004
Experienced User
New to Keppra
Hi,
i'm just starting on keppra today and have concerns about side effects too. If I experience anything, particularly "down times" as you say, i'll be sure to be in touch. Hope all is well!
Kathy
|

replied April 17th, 2004
Experienced User
P.s.
Hi,
i forgot to mention that i've done some reseach on keppra and did read that depression is a side effect, usually in the beginning. I have dealt with depression before, which was caused by post partumm but became really obvious after I had a seizure. There was a process I had to go through to deal with it, so I can imagine what you're going through, despite being caused from something else. No matter how mild or severe you feel you may be depressed you should talk to your doctor asap. I'm sure that if there is some way you can be treated without having to suffer, everyone involved would be anxious to find it. Good luck!
|

replied April 30th, 2004
Experienced User
My doc. Took me off keppra because of my mood swings and because of short term memory. My boyfriend of 5 years goes w/ me to my appts. And tell my doc, all about my moods etc. Have your person go w/ you thats around you all the time, it helps. Take care jamal
|

replied April 30th, 2004
Experienced User
My doc. Took me off keppra because of my mood swings and because of short term memory. My boyfriend of 5 years goes w/ me to my appts. And tell my doc, all about my moods etc. Have your person go w/ you thats around you all the time, it helps. Take care jamal
|

replied May 6th, 2004
I've Been On Keppra (1000 Mg Per Day) Since 2003
It's been a wonder drug for me. I also take 300 mg carbatrol. The changes I have noticed that are positive have a billion times outweighed the negatives. That being said, since taking keppra, I have noticed:
- an emotional russian roulette after seizures. 90% of the time, i'm crying, sobbing, etc. But, since adding keppra in 2003, I also have another 10% that is black depression, some suicidality, and not paranoia... Just a feeling that everyone hates me and is out to get me. Lol... Maybe that is paranoia? It fades within a day. Though the first time it happened really freaked me out. Now, I just deal with it.

Coping... I let people know and I crack jokes, try to keep things light and I wait it out. It always passes.

For me, above 1500 mg of keppra per day and I get so spacey I can't hardly think. I might as well be sleepwalking for all I remember and the intelligence of my actions. I swear it knocks my iq down by at least half. I know some other people who have had some degree of mild depression on keppra, but it passed very quickly.
|

replied May 22nd, 2004
Ok maybe I am not crazy. I have been on keppra a year and I have never been more depressed..Moody..Irritable..In my life and even worse is I have these horrible feelings of doom along with anxienty. Has anyone else experienced this?
|

replied September 19th, 2004
Keppra And "downtimes"
Dear rainbowchristi, I started on keppra in july of 2004, and have found that it does in fact cause depression and sometimes short-term memory loss in some instances. Prior to using keppra, I used depakote for 15 years. Since depakote is also used for people affected with bipolar/schizophrenia disorders, I never had that problem with it. Keppra, however, does seem to cause frequent depression and downtimes where I have even felt like comitting suicide. Due to this side effect, my neurologist prescribed celexa as a emotional upper. Although it causes some gastro-intestinal disorders, the celexa does work for keeping me uneffected by the depression bouts. I wish you the best of luck and god bless. Wink
|

replied April 19th, 2010
:(
I''ve been on Keppra since June 2009 (2,000 MG/day) because I started having seizures in May 2009. I was 26 for my first in May and had 2 more in the same night in June 2009. I can feel the effects almost instantly once I take the pills. I take 2 pills in the morning (1,000 MG) and 2 at night (1,000 MG) the morning pills seem to have less of an effect as I work 10 hour days in a dangerous field and drink large amounts of caffiene and take suppliements to keep me alert. The time the Keppra effects the most is at night when I can''t take the uppers to counteract. Within about 20 min of taking the meds, I feel like sleeping and if I stay up, I get really down. It''s sad because I''m scared to sleep because the only times I''ve had the seizures is when I sleep so I feel like I need the most meds then. I have the full blown tonic-clonic seizures and took off 1/4 of my tounge with my last couple of seizures. Sad thing is, I would rather go through that again than keep taking these and keep me down all the time. If anyone has any success with any other alternatives, please post em!
|

replied June 20th, 2010
hmm... I just started taking Keppra. So far I haven't noticed depression or memory loss, quite the opposite actually but now I'm worried, lol
|

replied November 11th, 2010
i need help! :(
i have been taking it for a year. my doctor told me that the positives outweighed the negatives. well it turns out to be the opposite. first thing i did notice was the depression which has now gotten worse within the last month or so (today it was really bad i didnt even feel alive). anxiety for practically no reason. severly irritable, and paranoid about what others think. the littlest thing makes me cry and i cry often for no reason (no one knows this)if someone says something or looks at me a certain way i i feel rejected. yes i know that is NOT rational but i try not to feel all this but i always do. listen i am not saying that it is a bad drug. dont just go by me gather info and hear from others. for me at least i dont think i am even the same person i used to be. i have always been melancholy a bit and sensitive. so if i always had these problems they are now getting worse and worse. by the way i am losing my hair too. i cant concentrate or remember (but i have always been a bit like this so i dont know)but what really has me worried is the depression. also when i get anxious i i have mood swings a lot and i have been feeling SEVERLY suicidal too. i am going to try to get off of this and maybe all this will go away. all i know is it is becoming dangerous to me at least. maybe not to you but for me personally. and also i cant tell anyone. people will just think i am crazy. i dont know what to do except tell the doctor to take me off however without telling him of the severe side affects. maybe they are not side affects, maybe i just need help and it has nothing to do with this medication. but its odd how this only started happening after taking Keppra.
|

replied August 9th, 2011
Keppra blues
I feel this way exactly!! I didn't want to read other people's experiences because I didn't want to convince myself that I was experiencing the same. Although, when the anxiety and paranoia started trickling in, I did some research. I felt like I had it under control for the most part, but then I lost my temper several times, I feel suicidal often. I consider myself to be a positive happy person, but on this drug I've questioned my ability to stay positive. I try to only let positive thoughts in, but then will start feeling anxiety for no reason, which will make a minor annoyance seem like the end of the world. I can't imagine when life hands me something really difficult to deal with?? Then what?
I have been seizure free however... but really what's the point if you're not in control of your happiness?
|

replied May 21st, 2011
Keppra and depression
I can so relate to all these postings. I don't know whether to feel relieved or if it makes me feel more trapped. I started taking Keppra in April 2011 (1000mg) after my 1st seizure. 8 mths later I had 3 tonic-clonic seizures in one day, then a week later I had 3 more. I now am on 3000mgs /day of the stuff, plus b6 which is supposed to help with the "blues", plus Celexa. As "Pearls" said, I too have always struggled with melancholy and sensitivity, but now I also used to feel alive and was primarily joyful. Now I feel numb, dead, listless and my family is really concerned. I also have Fibromyalgia, so the chronic pain contributes to all of this as well. As you all seem to be saying as well is that do you go off a drug that helps with seizures for something else that might not work as well or the side effects mays be even worse? My Epileptologists and Neurologists have all told me that Keppra is the most easily tolerated of the major drugs available. I just don't know what I'm more afraid of: what is really happening to me or what MAY happen if I change to something else. I have also been wondering if anyone out there has tried holistic medicine in conjunction with Keppra?
|

replied August 31st, 2011
and so it goes.......
I've felt doom and gloom blackness for most of my life and went un-medicated until I was in my 30's. That is with pills. Seizures started about 6 years ago and I eventually ended up with Depakote. Although this was largely a bust as far as side effects, ie, flatness, memory loss, loss of motivation, loss of sex drive/interest in most things, It did help relieve the seizures and deep black depression as it has a mood stabilizing effect.

I was tired of the side effects so my new doc said Keppra would do. within 2 months I had lost 10 lbs which was nice, I started to get really angry and depressed. My wife found that Keppra steals vitamin B6 from you and you need to replace it. I take 250 MG in the morning with my 1st of 2 1000mg Keppra. most of the time it seems to do the job. I don't have seizures, like before, but I do have this devil inside me that I have to deal with. Just like before I was medicated at all. I can;t tell if it is the lack of Depakote that allows this to come through. now I'm considering adding 125 mg depakote to see. Beer seems to help.

I believe I'm just a depressed person with epiliepsy, which makes meds tough because most ssri's and the like are bad for seizures, If I remember correctly.....

try the B6, it helps with the anger and anxiety. the depression, I think it must have something to do with seizure disorder, My old man has the same deal. Now dementia for him. maybe related who knows?

for fatigue I brew tons of Mate and drink it all day as iced tea, load up on fish oil, D3, Rodiola and Siberian Eluthero. who the hell knows, seems to get me going.

80% of the time now I have a sense of humor, drive and interest in things. I even run my own business, although some days I stare at the wall

that's my story. Good luck
|

replied June 6th, 2012
i have been on keppra for a short time but i feel as if i already am having some side effects, i get really down and gloom: where i find myself sitting on my bedroom floor for a while.
Ive also notice a change in my temper i get angry alot quicker then i used to at the smallest things. im also struggling with concentration and need sleep all the time! im doing my gcses at present and am really worried about the fact being on this medication is affecting my chances of doing the best i can in my exams.
has anyone noticed this to?
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied April 22nd, 2013
been a bad year....
ive been on keppra for a few months now and its tearing me apart. im depressed,moody, hostile and taking it out on my poor boyfriend. my memory is terrible and i crave nothing but bad foods idk whats going on, my doctor wanted me to see a therapist but i feel so paranoid that she or he may lock me away for what i have to say.......
|

replied May 1st, 2013
I just started keppra two days ago... I feel like a I want to kill everyone, including myself....
|

replied August 17th, 2013
I so feel like so many of you.I have been on Keppra for 1 year and before that on phenatoin.I don't feel like doing anything, nothing inspires me and I watch TV all day because I feel I can't cope anymore. I have lost all my friends, have had my Driving licence taken away and have now retired. I feel like it is a dead end.
|

replied November 5th, 2013
I have been on levetiracetam since June 2010. Of course in the beginning (first few weeks) I experienced mood swings and irritability. One minute I would be hyper and happy, then all of a sudden crying and tired. I have experienced 2 additional seizures while on Keppra, but that was because I was non compliant. Recently, I have been very irritable and moody again. Some days are better than others, but most are not so good. All I want to do is sleep and watch TV. I barely see my friends anymore. I tell them it's because of school, but honestly I just don't have any motivation to go out.. I don't know what to do. I've never thought I could feel this way.
|
Quick Reply