Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Pain Under Left Ribs And General Nausea/weakness

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
I've suffered from health anxiety for a while. I'm F, 34, a little bit overweight, don't smoke or drink. I've had a pain that comes and goes under my left ribs for a few months now, on and off. It's quite high up, just under my left breast. Today is the first day I've been able to feel it all day. It's more like an ache/bruise pain than a sharp pain and I seem to be short of breath (though that's nothing unusual for me). I'm also feeling really exhausted and a little bit nauseous.

Any ideas? It's really worrying me. I have been having stomach pains and feeling sick for a while.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 14th, 2007
This Sounds Familiar!
This is the only page I've found on-line that even remotely comes close to describing what I've been experiencing! I'm a 28 year-old female, VERY healthy and strong, never smoked, drank or done drugs of any kind.
Every morning for the past few weeks I've been waking up with aching and sporadic shooting pain deep under my upper left rib-cage, going all the way up to my collar bone. When I roll to my left side it gets worse. On my right side the pain usually abates. I don't often feel this pain during the day though for the past 3 days it's been a more constant pain with quick little shooting pains that seem to coincide with my heart beat.
Have you found anything out?
|

replied June 9th, 2008
Sharp Pain Under Left Breast
I am also a healthy, 23 female without a past of alcohol or drug abuse and I have never smoked. I even work out regularly! I have the same problem and have for a good 5 years now, but it is getting more frequent and even wakes me up at night. I also notice that when I lay on my left side it gets worse. My husband is in medical school and thinks it has to do with my colon. I do have IBS and I thought it maybe had something to do with my heart, but doesn't think it, so don't worry! I do find this very interesting and thought that I was the only one out there with this problem and am happy to find I am not. It sometimes takes my breathe away too.
|

replied June 27th, 2008
Me too
HI I am new to this site, and I am very frustrated not knowing what is wrong. I had my gull bladder removed 6 months ago and 2 months ago I started with this pain on my left side and shoots to my back. It is not a pain I can't tolerate, but it has goten worse lately. I have had many exams done, and nothing comes out. The DR says this is good, but, what is causing the pain? I am despearately seeking for answers. I also have shortness of breath but only when I excercise or become a bit active. I am also very tired,exhausted. I have spent thousands of dollars on all kinds of exams, and Nothing. My Dr thinks I have an ulcer in my colon, but the 2 CT scans show nothing wrong. Please, if you have any answers, please let me know. Thanks- peaches
|

replied July 8th, 2008
Colon
I have just went through CT, ultrasound, upper GI, and a bowel follow through with xray in order to watch how contents empty through the bowels. My pain is under my left breast. After all of these coming out normal including the bowel follow through the conclusion is that the colon comes up higher on some than others. This is why I feel pressure under my ribs and causes nausea because it pushes or rests against the stomach. This is not truly an abnormality just a difference in some people's anatomy from others according to the radiologist. However, the doctor says it does require eating less gaseous foods as well as less acidic foods. Less gaseous to relieve the colon from bloating and putting pressure on the organs under the left rib and less acidic to relieve the stomach from nausea. This was a very frustrating 3 weeks of tests and processes, but I am grateful to know that there are several things that can be done in order to relieve the problem. One of them is to lose weight if you are even slightly over weight. Even a few pounds apparently can make a difference. I hope this helps anyone else that has this same aggravating pain (pressure + nausea).
|