Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Community Chat Forum

Bumpers..and a Lot of Other Random Things (Page 1)

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
I know your not suppose top have them on the crib after the baby is a newborn, so I took them off Brees crib for the first time last night and had the worse sleep of my life. She got her little thigh stuck and it was so jammed in there that it took me a good minute of pulling to get it out. She always wants to stick her limbs out the side of her crib and she rolls around and scoots so much that shell be in the opposite side of the crib then when I put her down. What do you think? Worth the risk? She has such great control over her body .
I think that she is at risks for much more serious injury with them being off.

Just wanted your alls opinion.
On another note.. I think the sky is getting blue again!!! (it has been completely dark for the last 5 days) Im so excited. I was really worried about the kids Halloween. My sister and her two girls and my mom are all coming to my house to trick or treat (because they live in the country and each house is at least a min. of 2 acres apart uphill)
Im excited because Brian will be gone and my house is awful when he isnt here. It is so quite and lonely. I wish Bree could talk. lol. I also decided that when he leaves for Iraq I am going to move back in with my parents. He'll be gone anywhere from 6-9 months and this way we can save a lot of money. He really wants to get out of the Marine Corps and be a firefighter ( it is seriously his lifelong dream) He told me yesterday that what kind of a father would he be if he didnt at least try to do his dream. Especially because how could he tell his daughter she can be anything she wants to be. So well have to make some major sacrfices so that he can go to the academy when he gets out, but I think it will be alright.

Anyways.. I have a lot on my mind right now lol, If you couldnt tell

and one more thing.. Has anyone tried nutrisystem? My mom says Jenny Creig is better and costs the same and tastes better.. I want to lose a lot of weight when Brian is gone.. I want to look ten times better then before I had the baby so im looking into being on either one of the programs.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 26th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I took Kaylee's bumpers out for the first time about a week ago & put them right back in the next day. She kept banging her head on the sides of the crib & getting her legs stuck like you said. It was awful, I think I slept 3 hours the whole night because I could hear her hitting the sides. I'd just leave them.

I've never tried nutrisystem, it looked far too expensive for me to even consider it. I don't know anyone personally who has tried them so I can't help much there!
|

Extremely eHealthy
im just figuring that it will be 300 bucks a month for food in place of going grocery shopping or eating out..

I think im going to put them back on. she woke up EVERY hour last night..
the worst shes slept her entire life (hahah 3 months)
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I didn't think of it that way! I don't think I'd be able to survive though, I love me some food lol.
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
I kept braydens bumpers on until he could stand up. The first couple nights were a little rough but he hasn't had to many problems with them off. But if she's bumping her head and getting stuck I'd definately put them back on!
|

Extremely eHealthy
i just tied them back on...we feel better already lol
I LOVE food..but nothing feels better then being skinny ..I just miss feeling good about my body...one day! its just so much easier to do while he's gone and I dont have to think about feeding anyone else. Im actually kind of excited, my mom wants to do it with me. Im a size 9 right now and I want to be a size 5.. Thats my goal anyways. At least 30 lbs. Im 5'9 so losing 10 lbs doesnt really show on me.
The only plus side of him being gone is that I can be selfish and concentrate on me. I can go to the gym after bree is asleep and not have to hurry to get home. It makes it easier because all I want to do right now is be with him every second which makes it hard to disappear to the gym for a few hours. I think it will be easier too when bree is 6 months and can go to the daycare at the gym so I can go during the day again
|

Especially eHealthy
have you looked into weight watchers? everyone here knows that i'm totally in love with their program.

for the record, i think you look great!

good luck!
|

Bumpers
Why did you take off the bumpers in the first place ?
|

Extremely eHealthy
It's advised not to have bumpers in the crib because of the risk of suffocation once the baby starts scooting and rolling.
|

Especially eHealthy
Re: Bumpers
Jessie B wrote:
Why did you take off the bumpers in the first place ?

Because they can cause suffocation. I took Oni's off the FIRST time I heard of this.

Of course she bumped her head, but I'd rather her bump her head than die. (not saying that anyone who keeps them wants their kids to die! Smile )

But, they DO have MESH bumpers. They serve the same purpose but are breatheable in case the baby scoots up to it and can't back up!!

For the diet foods, I've never done either. I figure it's a waste of money. I just portion control my regular foods!

Sarah
|

Extremely eHealthy
I did weight watchers when I was younger.. but I should look into it again.
The reason I like doing programs is because it helps you get used to proper portion sizes so that when I do get out of the losing phase, I can easily maintain.

And thanks Bridget! I just want to get to the point where I feel confident again. I want to wow my husband but I am doing it more for me.. Im just in such a better mood when I feel good about myself.

The thing is with the bumpers is that Bree is already doing the belly crawl, rolling from back to tummy and tummy to back, and im pretty confident shed be alright with moving herself.
|

Supporter
My son has his bumpers on his but he doesn't sleep in there yet. He still sleeps in his bassinett in our room. He takes naps in it sometimes and he does fine. He is also real good with his body.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Jaylon has bumpers in his crib, but I have them tucked into the mattress so there is only 2-3 inches of them sticking up.

Vanessa you look fantastic.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I am thinking of getting those breathable mesh bumper pads. I used regular bumper pads with Nate but am a bit more freaked out with Brian because of his NICU days.
|

Especially eHealthy
yeah i have a REALLY cute disney baby bumper my mom bought for Jacob that i wanted to use with Caty but i couldnt ever bring myself to use it.. I used it with Jacob til he could roll over and such.. or scoot around. Then off it came. I'd rather deal with a couple nights restless sleep while they get used to it not being there than deal with them suffocating.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
We still have the bumpers on Alyvia's crib. The mattress has never been lowered either.

Then again, she hasn't slept in her crib for over a year now. Laughing
|

Extremely eHealthy
I dont know about the bumpers, but the nutrisystem I have tried.

Let me just tell you that you have to be mighty diciplined to stick to that diet. The food isn't all that great, and they really dont let you eat all that much. I did lose some weight on it, but all I ate was celery and cucumbers and their food. I felt like a rabit.

But, I will say that it is a great diet to get you jump started into eating beter. It gives you great portion control. I stuck with Nutrisystem for a week, and then switched to more of a weight watchers program.

I need to get back on something, becuase I just gave up a while ago and i have gained some back.

Good luck
|

Especially eHealthy
ive got a bumper on kristens crib and i rewally dont know what to do when she starts sleeping in her crib! do i take it off or leave it on?!!!! i have no idea1 ive herd they can suffoctae but how?
|

Extremely eHealthy
you can get a little thing that looks like two hard pillows with a piece of fabric in the middle that wont let them roll around. Swaddling is good too.
They just get their little heads caught in the fabric by rolling into it and cant breath. I know Bree is fully capable of getting herself out of that situation. Ive seen her, she is already trying to sit up on her own.
Im leaving it on. I think it really depends on the baby and their development. The time frame that the risks for sids are the biggest are between 2 and 4 months (which bree is 3)
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I kept my bumper pads on for both my kids and they were fine. The thing that i don't like about diet programs is that as soon as you go off of them you slowly put your weight back on. If you are going to be going to the gym then all you really need to do is make better food choices. I really found that working out with weights has been a huge help, it really increases your metabolism so your body burns more calories at rest. Honestly because you are only a size 9 already I doubt that it will take you long to get to where you want to be. But it is definitely something that will keep you busy and maybe make the time go by a little faster when your hubby is gone.
|
12 >>