Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acne and Skin Disorders Forum

Recurring Itchy Bump On Leg (Page 1)

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
I have an odd recurring condition and was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences. I have a small, itchy bump on the inside of my left calf that re-appears and disappears occasionally and unpredictably. It is one isolated bump and looks and feels like a minor mosquito bite, it always recurs on the exact same spot on my calf, and it appears and disappears within the span of minutes. It happens sporadically, with at least several months in between each. I have no idea what it is, and people who have seen it agree it just looks like a bug bite. It doesn't feel like an ingrown hair or rash. It's not very itchy and doesn't really bother me, but it is extremely strange so I was a little worried. Any thoughts?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jmpijasgh
|

replied October 25th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
my guess is it may be an ingrown hair
|

Omg Me Too
I have had the same thing on one of my breast. Have no idea what it is though. It looks like round little mosquito bite. It itches and comes and goes within the course of an hour.
|

Omg Me Too
I have had the same thing on one of my breast. Have no idea what it is though. It looks like round little mosquito bite. It itches and comes and goes within the course of an hour.
|

replied June 25th, 2008
Me2
I have a bump on my leg, that is a little bigger than the head of a pencil eraser. It is raised, but flat on the top with a little redness when I scratch it. This comes and goes, and I have only noticed it since I have been married. Confused However, anything that is ingrown shows up differently in my skin. I think this is some form of bug in my skin; bacteria, viral, etc. and it gets triggered by something like stress, because I have been stressed out since I got married! Shocked
|

replied August 16th, 2008
itchy lump on leg
curtsey I have had the same thing for years on the top of my outer thigh! One day it just appeared and was so itchy...the more I scratched it the bigger it became. Then it just disappeared as quick. Every now and again it reappears. I mentioned this to my G.P once and he said next time it happens run along to the surgery and show him but I would no sooner get there and it would be gone again. looking It can get very big and looks like a weal, raised and white/pink. If it's an ingrown hair, your doctor will know this and it could be quite painful. Next time it appears, give it a scratch and see if it grows...then run like the wind to your doc's. If you find out, please let me know as it seems its becoming the 8th wonder of the world. kiss
|

replied February 26th, 2009
Same thing
Hi I have the same thing on my hand. I have it right now as i am typing. I have no idea what it is. I feel like getting a stanley knife and cutting it off. Somebody please find out what it is
|

replied March 6th, 2009
Me too!
I hate to pile on here seeing as I have no diagnosis to offer, but I have the same problem right now on my hand (thumb, to be exact). It just started a few weeks ago and so far, I've had them on my arm and back.It's one large bump that gets red and larger the more I scratch (and it's really itchy!). I showed it to my doctor and she was clueless, then she pointed me to a dermatologist. What is this?!
|

replied March 20th, 2009
More or less the same thing
glance Me to have a red itchy spot on my leg....well thats how it started,i have woke up 2day and it's not even bigger but gone into cluster like blisters,they is 1 big 1 and afew little ones around it,its just exactly the same as if you burn yourself and you get a blister,and now its even itchy....what is it? Rolling Eyes
|

replied April 9th, 2009
Itchy Mosquito like bump
I have had the same thing for about ten years now. More like a spider bite in the middle of my back. Comes and goes. Sometimes two months in between. Other times a couple weeks apart. Over the past ten years I have got 3 more. The last or fourth one about a month ago. The first one still comes back the most frequently. I have not found anyone in all this time that can explain this.
My guess (and it is a guess) is some form of a Viral infection or bacterial infection that doesn't show up on normal tests. I donate blood all the time and nothing has ever shown there either. In fact I can give baby pints. I just had a blood workup a month ago and nothing.
I feel like my health is suffering even more with time. I have headaches all the time, chronic fatigue, Cranial Pressure, Depression and recently I started getting tiny red bumps under my eyes after a bad night of headache and fatigue that in the morning leave very small dried blood specs where the bumps were.
My best guess in something like (spirochete Borrelia) Lyme disease or possibly some strain of Herpes Simplex. I am tired and would certainly like to know what this is.
|

replied May 17th, 2009
Recurrent red bumps
I think that the symptoms described by most posters are some kind of herpes virus, though not necessarily simplex. The alpha-herpevidrae family of viruses include chickenpox (varicella and later in life herpes zoster), mono (which causes a rash in some) and cytemelegelovirus, which causes chronic fatique. Almost everyone has herpes of some type, though we tend to think of the very stigmatized HSV-2 virus which predominentliy infects the genitals. But cold sores are HSV-1, and shingles are also a herpes flare-up due to the herpes zoster virus and childhood chickenpox infection.

I have a recurring situation where I get little red bumps on the inside of my thigh. Usually painless unless I sratch them. At first I thought it was folliculitis, but the bumps don't usually center around a hair follicle. My best guess is some form of herpes virus. Perhaps a very minor case of shingles. I also get recurring bumps on my forehead, like pimples, but they seem to be herpes (recur, itch, clear fluid inside the bumps). My google research suggests strongly that the forehead symptoms are simplex 1 or zoster.

I am wondering what impact vaccinations I received as a child have had as well, since I had to have many vaccinations as I lived all over the world. I still believe my symptoms revolve around one or more types of herpes viruses. We get so caught up on the STD-form, usually simplex 2, that I sometimes wonder if people fail to even consider the broader family of herpes viruses in their equation. From just googling for a few days on this topic, there are many, many, many people suffering from recurrent skin blemishes that behave like herpes. Yet, when you think "herpes" you think STD and genital herpes; it seems there are a whole host of herpes viruses, and just about everybody has some form or a few.
|

replied May 25th, 2009
Me too
I spontaneously develop a small welt on my cheek beside my nose and below my eye, and it is often gone within an hour It appears harmless as long as I do not touch it, but it grows as large as a dime.

I want to add though that I'm very allergic to insect bites, often swelling up with much larger than average welts. I'm not sure if that contributes or helps.

I cannot find any answers but I don't think this is an ingrown hair as many sites have suggested.
|

replied August 20th, 2009
bump
First of all... don't itch it!
Second... instead of assuming its herpes... look at a diagram of where lymph nodes are. The bump I saw randomly appear and then go away was most likely a lymph node and yours probably is too!
I notice mine happens when I get a lot of stress and its always on my right leg. So if it appears I know I need to relax.
If you don't think it is a lymph node or it becomes to troublesome or symptoms persist SEE A DOCTOR!
|

replied October 3rd, 2009
I have the same thing that the first few posters have, an itchy bump that looks like a mosquito bite that appears in the same place on my breast each time. It only comes out in the shower, and goes away as quickly as it comes. Sometimes this happens several weeks apart, and sometimes it is months before it reappears. I did pay attention the last time this happened (2 nights ago), and I was very stressed at that time. Going to the Dr. is not an option since it is gone before I even have time to get dressed. I'm going to go with stress right now, because I don't know what else it could be.
|

replied October 19th, 2009
happy to find others
i can not believe i am reading about someone who has the exact same thing, down to the shower phenomenon. i have been wondering about this for years! a single itchy, smooth bump about 8 mm, raised but flat (like a very low mesa) with smooth edge, no puncture spot (such as with a bite) recurring in the exact same spot with varying frequency from weeks to months, mostly appearing after i shower and disappearing after a few hours. i would really love to see an answer from any doctors perusing this site, but i feel some relief just knowing i'm not crazy and not the only one! please, anyone, if you find out what it is, please come back to post. i will do likewise.
|

replied December 2nd, 2011
You took the words right out of my mouth! I have had that same recurring bump on the inside of my left thigh right above my knee FOR YEARS!! Mines comes either after I work out or after a shower! Probably comes at other times to, but that's when I notice it! Glad I'm not alone! I just pray it isn't some illness that has been festering for all these years! Because it goes away, I've gotten so use to it, so I haven't bothered to have it checked. It appeared tonight after I showered, so I just thought I'd ake a chance ad research it! Looks like I hit the jackpot on this site!! Wish somebody would chime in and explain it!!
|

replied August 30th, 2014
I also have the same damn recurring bump, and I just realized that it's recurring after I visit the bathroom/shower. I'm thinking it's a fungus related skin irritation, and maybe it's a recurring thing because that part of the body is most likely to be more vulnerable than any other skin surface. Check if you have any molds or fungus growing in your bathroom somewhere. I hope this is it, not having to worry that I have some sort of herpes.
|

replied November 20th, 2009
I recently moved to Turkey from the US. As soon as I moved, I noticed one itchy, raised bump on the inside of my left thigh. At first I thought it was either a bug bite or an ingrown hair. It had a redish dot in the middle, the surrounding skin was paler and puffed up, and the whole thing was almost the size of a dime. It was very itchy, and the more I itched the worse it got.

I applied antibiotic ointment to it for several days, it helped and seemed to go away in a week. That had me convinced it was just bug bite UNTIL it came back in the exact same place a few weeks later. That's how I knew it was not a bug, because the likelihood of a different bug biting me in the exact same place seemed impossible. Not knowing what else to do, I applied the same ointment and it went away slowly over a few weeks. I also tried my best not to scratch it as that always seemed to make it worse.

I don't think it is a strain of herpes, genital or other wise. It is very far from my groin, and doesn't look like any pictures I've seen. I also don't think it is shingles. I've had them before and it feels very different. This is only one spot, herpes is always several spots.

I'm posting here tonight because FIVE months after my two "outbreaks" came and went, I start itching my leg tonight, look down and there it is! It's back, looking exactly the same and in the EXACT same spot.

I'm also pregnant, and the first two times five months ago I was in the first few weeks of pregnancy. I don't know if that has anything to do with anything. I'll ask my doctor about it at my next appointment, but I don't know if it'll still be there, because I'm trying to make it go away of course. Who wants a mystery itchy spot hanging around on their leg? Glad I'm not alone.
|

replied December 21st, 2009
omg this is soo crazy ! I have the same problem , for about 3 weeks I've had this bump that keeps appearing on my hand . it itches , but not too bad , then it goes away !! it starts out small and I'll look down again and it's huge ! I have no idea what it is . i guess I should say that I'm a transplant patient and so I have a suppressed immune system .
|

replied December 21st, 2009
Guys, I have it too. It's on my face, towards the bottom of my right cheek. It would come very randomly, averaging about 2 times a month since 6 months ago. Symptons of mine:

1) Would start off with a VERY slight itch. I would just rub my shoulder on my cheek to get rid of the itch. But then BAM, a few seconds later the itch would intensify (although resistable) but a welt would form.

2) The welt would have a red dot in the middle surrounded by paler , raised skin (exactly like a mosquito bite), and the area around it would be red/pinking. VERY noticable and VERY annoying.

3) I have found that if you press an ice cube over it, it would dissapear quicker.

Can anyone match up with me and see if they have been doing any of these things prior to getting the strange welt?
-Washing face in only very cold water
-Taking Accutane
-Happens usually during the night time

That's all I can think of as of now. I am anxiously waiting to hear if any of my unique symtpoms match up with anyone elses. Also guys, feel free to post anything unique/new that you did prior to getting the strange welt. Mabey we can link it to something...
|

replied January 17th, 2010
still no answer
I have had the same thing on my left arm near the elbow crease for 23 years! It looks like a mosquito bite and itches and goes away within 10 minutes. I have noticed it usually appears after eating a wheat type product, almost always after eating mac-n-cheese, but never after just cheese. Perhaps these are all caused by some type of allergy, either ingested or topical like the soap you may use in the shower. Would love to find out, but like most people it disappers before you can get into a doctor, and then they just look at you wierd when you tell them.
|

replied January 29th, 2010
Amazing really!
I have the same bump that starts out looking like a misquito bite, but then if I scratch it it becomes about the size of a dime, round, slightly raised, a little rough feeling. I have only noticed it in the mornings when I wake up. I also took accutane like 10 years ago. That would be crazy if everyone here had taken accutane at some point...probably not though. Well, glad I'm not alone at least. I have noticed that anti itch cream doesn't help b/c it will go away without it, but it certainly comes right back....weird.
|