Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Confused About Trichomonas ?

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
i have just been diagnosed as having trichonomas.
I thought I had a thrush infection and was using canestan to no avail so went to my local gu clinic where trichomonas was diagnosed.
I have recently entered a new relationship and found it hard to explain to him what i may have given him or vice versa. I have only had 3 partners in the last 11 years and the second person always used a condom.
My current partner took it really well and is going to be tested next week. He tells me that he has always used condoms with his partners before me and we are both confused.
I dont want him to think Im blaming him for my std but Im also thinking, could it have been me that gave it to him somehow?
My symptoms appeared approx 4 days after I had unprotected sex with him.I dont want to lose him and need some advice as to what to tell him
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 25th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Well, it is a sexually transmitted disease. If you really think you didn't give it to him, (although you could've) you could've gotten it from masturbating or something as well. Or he already had it. You never know.

The good thing is it is pretty easily treated. You will both get medicine and hopefully it will go away quickly and you'll be fine.

Even if you use condoms, if you have sex with someone who has an std, you are still at a slight risk.
|

replied October 26th, 2007
How can you contract Trich by masturbating? Didn't realize that was possible.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
You know I don't really know, I just read it. I think it might have to do with a situation where you touched someone else and then masturbated, or used toys that had touched someone else. I'll look it up again and try figure out how.
|

yeh i read something abut sharing sex toys as well . Every site i read says something different, like one says u can get it from oral sex and another says u cant (that confuses me as it then goes on to say always use condoms when having oral sex)
|

replied October 27th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
lillibet wrote:
yeh i read something abut sharing sex toys as well . Every site i read says something different, like one says u can get it from oral sex and another says u cant (that confuses me as it then goes on to say always use condoms when having oral sex)

Whether or not you can catch trich from oral doesn't mean you can't catch other nasites, that's what the site meant.
|

User Profile
replied October 28th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I think regardless of the risk of actual trich, you need to always use protection because you CAN get a bunch of other std's from oral.

That's the best explanation I could find, though (about sharing toys and masturbation and stuff).
|

replied October 31st, 2007
X
all fixed thanks but his test proved neg for it. hes still been given tablets and we are gona play safe from now on x
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Did you figure out where you got it? It's a mystery....
|

Extremely eHealthy
Trichomoniasis is found worldwide. In the United States, the highest number of cases are seen in women between age 16 and 35. Trichomonas vaginalis cannot survive in the mouth or rectum, and therefore must be transmitted through penis-to-vagina intercourse or vulva-to-vulva contact with an infected partner.

The disease can affect both men and women, but the symptoms differ between the two groups. The infection usually does not cause symptoms in men and goes away on its own in a few weeks. In some cases, a man might have burning, itching, or a discharge. Occasionally, some men with trichomoniasis may develop prostatitis or epididymitis from the infection.

Exams and Tests Return to top

In women:

A pelvic examination reveals red blotches vaginal wall or cervix. A wet prep (microscopic examination of discharge) shows the infection-causing organisms in vaginal fluids. A pap smear may also detect the presence of the organism.

In men:

The disease can be hard to diagnose in men. Men are treated if the infection is diagnosed in any of their sexual partners.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/ar ticle/001331.htm
|