Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Community Chat Forum

Major Recall...

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 25th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
CRAZY!! Thanks so much for posting this. I was going to buy one online two days ago but decided to wait for my husband. We were going to look more into it tonight!!!!

Wait...it seems like they are being recalled just because someone may have used them certain ways like placing them on top of tables. I wouldn't do that anyways ---- at least I would like to think I wouldn't have done that.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Yeah. They have taken them off the market until they redo the warnings on them. I guess they'll have to add, "Do not set on tabletops, countertops, or anything any higher than the floor."
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
For anyone too lazy to click Laughing :

WASHINGTON - Some 1 million foam baby seats sold by Target Corp, Wal-Mart Stores Inc and other large retailers are being recalled because of reports of young children falling out of the seats, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said on Thursday.

The safety agency said it received 28 reports of young children falling out of the seats, including three who suffered skull fractures because the seats had been placed atop tables.

The baby seats, made by Bumbo International of South Africa, sold for about $40 each from August 2003 through October 2007. Retailers that sold the product also included Sears Holdings, Kmart, Toys "R" Us, USA Babies, it said.

The round Bumbo Baby Sitter Seats are 15 inches in diameter and made of molded polyurethane foam that wraps around a child.

Consumers should contact Bumbo to obtain new warning label stickers and instructions for the recalled baby seats and should never use the infant seat on a table, countertop, chair or other elevated surface, the agency said.

On its Web site, Bumbo said it temporarily stopped selling the baby seat until safety packaging can be updated. "The Bumbo Baby Seat is safe when used properly, but we have voluntarily agreed to update the packaging to ensure there is no confusion about the safe, proper use of the Bumbo Baby Seat," the company said.

The baby seat is designed for infants who are six weeks old or able to support their own heads, up to an age of about 12 to 14 months or about 22 pounds, Bumbo said.

A photograph of the recalled product and other information was posted on the agency's Web site at: http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml0 8/08046.html.
|

Extremely eHealthy
I guess I could've done that! I was too lazy to copy and paste. Very Happy
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
thats a dumb recall, any normal person would know not to set your child in it on top of a table or something, or not watch your child or something. Jordynne doesnt use hers now anymore now that she is pretty much walking, i think its now in the basement!
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
Oh I saw this on the morning news! They have to redo the packaging because they have a picture of kids sitting on them on top of a table on the box! Seriously didn't think people were dumb enough to do that tho!
|

Especially eHealthy
lol thanks laura cuz i was not about to click the link lol
|

User Profile
Supporter
I think you should all quit calling people dumb for sitting them on a table in it. If the seat wasn't a piece of crap the babies wouldn't have fallen out in the first place. I sit Alex on the counter in the kitchen in his while I'm cooking, but I'm not dumb enough to leave him alone and not watch him. That's what makes people dumb. So thanks! Rolling Eyes
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I used to sit Kaylee in hers on our kitchen table while Shane & I were eating but I would never ever leave her there. This recall is ridiculous. I think the parents who left their kids to fall off the table oughta be recalled.
|

Extremely eHealthy
I sit bree on the counter (with the wall right behind her) when I do dishes but again, i'd never leave her alone there.
But after hearing about this I won't even sit her in it on hard floor anymore.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
We used Alyvia's in a chair last year for Thanksgiving. I was right there beside her, of course, and she had a wall on the other side. But seriously, the base of the Bumbo seat is mega-sturdy. I don't really see how a small baby could shift their weight so far to one side to cause it to tip over. I'm not saying it's not possible though. I don't know. I think it's a bad idea to leave a child anywhere without supervision.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Honestly, I probably would have used it on my chair as a high chair with the tray.
|
Tags: Pregnancy
Quick Reply