Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

Changing Mole? Melanoma ? Other reasons ? (Page 1)

Must Read
What is melanoma? This section give you a quick intro to this particular type of skin cancer, including the entire range of types of melanomas....
Doctors are pretty certain that ultraviolet radiation plays a role in the development of melanoma. Which other activities put you at risk of melanoma?...
What does melanoma look like? Learn to identify early signs and symptoms of melanoma with this full description of symptoms of melanoma here....
does a mole that changes always mean melanoma or can there be other reasons for it?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 26th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
What are the changes like?
|

replied October 26th, 2007
getting darker and bigger.
|

User Profile
replied October 29th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
As people grow older they tend to develop more moles and some of already existing moles are prone to change and are getting bigger and darker.
Where is the mole located?
Has the mole grow rapidly over a short period?
Do you find it painful?
Is it bleeding?
|

replied October 30th, 2007
It's on my mums leg above her knee. It has grown over a period of about 8 months. Its about 1.5cm and is dark brown with pink bits in it. It is not painful but it did bleed once about 4 months ago.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I'll suggest you to make an appointment with a dermatologist for your mum, immediately.
Bleeding without provoking it or oozing from the mole is an imperative to be checked for melanoma by a doctor.
Women, usually, have melanoma lesion on their limbs.
Melanomas usually are multi-colored or with different shades of brown and black, sometimes with areas of red, blue, or white.
Is this lesion having irregular borders( uneven edges )?
Do you find it asymmetrical( when one half of the growth has a different shape than the other )?
|

Yes it has irregular borders and is asymmetrical. She is to have the mole removed. We do not have a date yet. I am so worried.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I understand your worrying.
The vast majority of people are diagnosed with early melanomas with no spread to lymph nodes or any other part of body. So, a simple removing of melanoma means cure.
Melanoma is more difficult to treat in later stages, but still depends on the type of melanoma.
Some melanomas are spreading more superficial, but others are going deeper in all skin layers.
Please, don't stress too much and feel free to ask me for help!
|

Thanks so much for your reply. This has been going on for a week and has been so hard. I can't eat or sleep. I don't know what I'd do without my mum. She's the most important person in my life.

I'm very worried that she has had this for 8 months. I feel like it might be too late for her.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Everything will be fine.
All cancer treatments are more and more advanced and successful.
You need to be positive in front of your mum. Don't make her worry after you.
Thinking of you and your family!
|

User Profile
Supporter
Signs of Melanoma

A: Asymmetry
B: Border Irregularity
C: Color - Blues, greens, purples.
D: Diameter - Should not be larger than the head of a pencil eraser.
|

MandMs you seem to know a lot about this. Have you had personal experience with it? Thank-you for your support. I feel a little better thanks to you.
|

User Profile
Supporter
I learned a little from college, but not a whole lot.
One of my good friends' father recently passed away from it.
|

User Profile
replied November 1st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Inkworks
I'm very happy I made you feel a little better.
I'm a medical student and I like to help, support and share informations with people whenever I can.
Please, feel free to write me anytime you want!
Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied November 1st, 2007
Thanks MandMs. My mum just called the hospital. She has an appointment to go and get the mole removed on the 27th of this month. Thats 4 weeks away. Do you think that is too long to wait?

The fact that the doctor didn't take the mole out when he seen my mum last week really concerns me. Do you know why he would want to wait this long?
|

User Profile
replied November 2nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Seventy-five percent of melanoma undergo progressive change over a period of six months to as long as many years, during which time the malignancy develops, but may not spread (metastasize) to other sites in the body.
I can't say for sure if 4 weeks is a long period, but I'll suggest your mum to try to make another appointment with other dermatologist.
A biopsy is typically an outpatient procedure, performed in the doctor's office with only a local anesthesia.
I don't like the fact that the lesion was bleeding.
Sometimes it can indicate more aggressive and advanced melanoma.
So, please, try to find another dermatologist who can make biopsy earlier.
|

replied November 4th, 2007
We are looking into other dermatologists but not sure if we can afford one.

The mole has only bled once a few months ago. Is that unusual?
|

User Profile
replied November 5th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Where you live exactly?
Was that bleeding provoked or it was spontaneous?
|

replied November 5th, 2007
We live in Scotland.
We are not sure but we think my mum may have grazed the mole with a skin buffer and that's why it bled.
|

User Profile
replied November 7th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
|
12 >>