Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Will Fake Teeth Whiten?

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
I had an accident with my mouth when i was in the 6th grade and my teeth were broken in half and hit completely out of my mouth.
So I had to have my teeth half replaced with whatever it is that they use to make your teeth back to normal, so i needed to know if the strips will work on my front teeth still since they're half fake?

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Aftershock777
|

User Profile
replied February 7th, 2008
Experienced User
You know i don't know if you still need the answer for this question, but i had some fillings done on my front teeth. After all these years, i'm a smoker, and i drink dark pop, i tried those listerning whitening strips, and i believe it actually worked for me, i took a before and after photo just to see if they would work, and i think my teeth look whiter. My dentist said it wouldn't do any good, to whitening your teeth because of the color of fillings they put on, but i think it did,
|

User Profile
Experienced User
When I was a baby I knocked one of my mothers front teeth out with my head. A year or two ago she tried Crest white strips, and they do not work on her fake tooth. I'd suggest having some sort of procedure done in a dentist office to whiten your teeth because of your unique situation. Otherwise, you may come out looking worse than you began, and those strips are pretty expensive. It would suck to have only wasted your money.
|

User Profile
Supporter
I agree
I have to agree with The Mrs. I would not waste a dime on any of these products. I would talk to my dentist to determine all of your options. It will probably get pricey. I have found that by diluting hydrogen peroxide and water, rinsing after brushing my teeth.....then use a mouth wash...my teeth have "appeared" whiter. They sure look a lot better to me. I opted for the bleaching trays and expensive products years ago and to me, the peroxide/water seems to work just as well. Not really sure of the effect on replacement teeth. If you find anything that works, please share! Good luck!
|

User Profile
Supporter
bleaching products only acts on the enamel of the tooth ,the material that we used to restore teeth is resin and it does not whiten.
your teeth would be whiter than the material than and it would see and interface line that distinguish the two different colors, but if you have this material a long time ago maybe its time to change it because nothing is forever , so you can bleach your teeth and then when you are satisfy with the color go to your dentist and change the resin for an new whiter one similar to the new color of your teeth
|

User Profile
Hi! To answer your question, no any restorations in your mouth will not whiten. The only way to go about whitening is to bleach to your desired shade, then have some veneers or all porcelain crowns done on the front teeth. The results are very nice.
|

replied February 26th, 2008
The Mrs wrote:
When I was a baby I knocked one of my mothers front teeth out with my head. A year or two ago she tried Crest white strips, and they do not work on her fake tooth. I'd suggest having some sort of procedure done in a dentist office to whiten your teeth because of your unique situation. Otherwise, you may come out looking worse than you began, and those strips are pretty expensive. It would suck to have only wasted your money.

evil Razz knocking out your mothers tooth Smile
|

User Profile
replied March 13th, 2011
You can. Consult your dentist or try home remedies for white teeth.
|

replied October 7th, 2011
the whiteners will only restore your teeth to the color they were when they were put in. In other words they will remove the stains. : ) the hydrogen peroxide based whiteners are the best from my experience. The carbamide ones take several hours to break down to hydrogen peroxide which is an oxidizer.. and thats what removes the stain. Plus the wear time is much less than the other gels. anyway hope that helps...
|

replied October 7th, 2011
No fake teeth will not whiten. my mother worked in a dental office for 25 years. what color they are they are. real teeth whiten because you are drying out the dentin of a natural tooth but a fake tooth will not bleach because its not alive (if you will). it will not effect porcelain or plastic material.
|
Quick Reply