Medical Questions > Nutrition > Vitamins Forum

Is My Daily Vitamin Making Me Sick? (Page 1)

This sounds nuts but I swear every time I take my daily vitamin supplement I get a cold. It's just a normal multivitamin. Every time I get into the habit of taking it regularly after about two weeks I come down with a cold. I thought the last few times it was coincidence but I started taking my supplement regularly again a few weeks ago and low and behold I got up this morning and I feel horrible again. I took myself off the vitamins for a long time because I felt like this was causing it but decided to start them up again because I thought I was nuts. Now I'm thinking not so much. Am I getting too much of a certain vitamin that's doing this to me? I just think it's so odd that vitamins are supposed to make you healthy and I get sick instead! Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper daykara
|
Users who thank eeyorej79 for this post: slgrth17  tigersplay 

replied October 24th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Vitamins aren't making you get a cold. Germs are causing this. Wash your hands often.
|

Especially eHealthy
It's possible he's allergic to something IN the vitamins.

If they don't make you feel better, then stop taking them! That seems pretty obvious to me.
|

Especially eHealthy
Possible. But 'cold' symptoms? This is certainly the right time of year for a cold!
|

Especially eHealthy
I would say yes to that, except I believe this is something that has been happening to him for months, so it's clearly not just a "cold season" issue
|

Especially eHealthy
Re: Is My Daily Vitamin Making Me Sick?
eeyorej79 wrote:
Every time I get into the habit of taking it regularly after about two weeks I come down with a cold. I thought the last few times it was coincidence but I started taking my supplement regularly again a few weeks ago and low and behold I got up this morning and I feel horrible again. I took myself off the vitamins for a long time because I felt like this was causing it but decided to start them up again because I thought I was nuts.

Oh, I read it as, after s/he takes the vitamins for about 2 weeks, s/he gets a 'cold' and was wondering what in the vitamins could cause this.

Truthfully, you should never take old vitamins. I doubt you are, but I'm just throwing that out there.

Headache, fever, stuffy nose, chest congestion, coughing are what I think of when I think of cold.
|

replied March 16th, 2009
vitamins
I also get the same symtoms ie colds after taking vitamins i think its because they effect your bodys natural defences their not natural and i would say just make sure you eat plenty of fruit and veg .
|

replied April 6th, 2009
vitamins
I too get a cold everytime I start taking my multivitamin again. My usband thinks I am nuts. I belive I read some where that the body can go in to overdrive from the vitamins and over react to the influx of additional vitamins in to the body - of course I can no longer find that article and my husband still thinks I'm nuts. Any body out there have a doctor friend they can run this by?
|

User Profile
replied July 19th, 2009
yes i just googled this because i have the same thing happen to me i just started taking a multivitamin and and all in one garlic horseradish and vitamin c tablet.. im taking half the recommended dosage coz i was hoping to avoid gettn these symptoms again, but sure enough that didnt work.. i have a sore throat and its affecting my nose and ears..same as always wen i start the vitamins again .. i believe the overdrive thing..i think it makes changes to the immune system thats y this happens im not sure could be wrong
|

replied July 24th, 2009
I cant beleive there is other ppl out there with the same problem. Ive been telling ppl this for a while now and everyone thinks im crazy. But everytime i take a mutlivitamin i get a cold. Doesnt matter what brand and they are never expired. Nobody seems to have a clear answer tho.
|

User Profile
replied July 24th, 2009
Supporter
Ok, so stop taking the vitamins. If you eat healthy meals you shouldn't need them anyway, especially if they are making you sick.
|

User Profile
replied July 28th, 2009
Supporter
Ok. I take back what I said about stopping the vitamins. Actually I started taking Omega 3 this week and sure enough, I got a horrible cold and a sore throat after one week. I found out that it is your body detoxifying and I guess eventually you will stop getting sick. So, you're not crazy, this is what really happens.
|

replied August 20th, 2009
yes, it happens to me too....just got the kids started on them because of the new school year....and I am taking them every other day....I am going down to 1 day a week, if it still happens I'm off them
|

replied September 11th, 2009
I just googled this for the exact same reason. I, myself get sick after about two weeks of taking a multi-vitamin. This time it's a sore throat. I have been on again/off again with vitamins over the last 15 years and swear I get sick every time about two weeks into them. Same situation as the above replies. I am rarely sick and quite healthy in general. So, no, I don't think the others are nuts as I run into the exact same problem. Regardless, I will continue to take them as in the long run they should do more good than harm.
|

replied March 10th, 2012
Vitamin B's always end up making me sick after I take them for a few days. Also, if you have high levels of calcium in your body (hypercalcia), taking vitamin D3 will cause joint swelling and terrible aches. I couldn't use my right hand for a couple of weeks, the doc thought I had Rhuemetoid Arthritis so he ran a screen. Negative. Then we found out it was because I had started taking D3. Within 2 days of stopping it I was back to normal.
|

replied March 10th, 2012
Vitamin B's always end up making me sick after I take them for a few days. Also, if you have high levels of calcium in your body (hypercalcia), taking vitamin D3 will cause joint swelling and terrible aches. I couldn't use my right hand for a couple of weeks, the doc thought I had Rhuemetoid Arthritis so he ran a screen. Negative. Then we found out it was because I had started taking D3. Within 2 days of stopping it I was back to normal.
|

replied January 2nd, 2010
RE:
Ha, glad other people have this happen, I haven't found much on the internet yet but my husband and my parents think I'm nuts. I'm 21, I take a Centrum multi-vitamin and within a week/week and a half I end up getting a cold. I've only have the flu twice and I don't ever get flu shots, I thought maybe my immune system was retarded! ugh.
|
Users who thank tksickler for this post: tigersplay 

replied March 10th, 2010
Supplements give me a cold
This is the second time this has happen to me as well and that is why i googled it. I have not been sick all winter and have not taken one supplement and I take them and one day later i am getting a cold. The first time this happened i thought it was my imagination but now i know it is true. And don't tell me to eat well - I do. I want to cover all my bases and not get sick.
|

replied March 22nd, 2010
I would say that its definitely something in the vitamin - there is something in them that is breaking down your immune system. I would stop taking them and give Herbalife's multi-vitamin and cell activator a try. Our products are safe, natural, highly effective and scientifically tested by our doctors at UCLA.

Our multi-vitamin contains over 20 essential nutrients and antioxidants, folic acid, calcium and iron; they support your immune system and promotes healthy bones, skin and hair. The cell activator helps support the body's absorption of micronutrients and cellular energy production. I want you to know that I am on them myself and feel amazing!

Please contact me for more information or for a FREE product catalog.
|

replied June 7th, 2010
Effects of Multivitamins
I have started and stopped multivitamins countless amounts of time, every single time about 1 or 2 weeks later I come down with a cold.

This is normal as my body is flushing out all the toxins, my body is used to the way it was and the vitamins have just made such a big affect.

Keep on them, they are healthy and once you get over your cold you will reap the benefits of the new healthy you.

I just started my multivitamins again 2 weeks ago and Yesterday I woke up with the cold and i've still got it, I wish I didn't stop taking them last time....I finished off the bottle of multivitamins last time and kept forgetting to buy more and so my body went back to 'unhealthy'.

I think it depends alot on what you put into your body before you start taking the multivitamins also, for example if you were already generally healthy eating vegetables, fruits etc, a multivitamin shouldn't make you that sick but if you were anything like me eating take away about once or twice a week and eating salad and veg about once a week and drinking about 20 cans of pre mixed cans of alcohol then you can only expect your body to react.

Remember it only get worse before it gets better.
|

replied September 24th, 2010
Is my vitamin making me sick?
Everyone I am aware that you are getting sick from taking vitamins,I must admit that I too did get sick from time to time when taking them.I was under the impression just as you were that I was insane for thinking so.I need not go into the rest of the details being that you all already know what the rest will be.I am confident that taking trace supplements throws your natural system out of wack.I have not tried it yet,but I am going to take half of a vitamin,and see how that goes.I also believe that it is better to drink V8 than to take non liquid vitamins.
Men and Women it is important to understand that when you take non liquid vitamins your body can't absorb all of the trace elements,and what happens is that your body has to reset.Part of that reset is what is causing the sickness,or cold.It is important to drink liquid vitamins which you can purchase at GNC or other general nutrition stores.It is better to take in liquid than pills.The reason being that when you take in pills your body does not and can not absorb all of the vitamins so you end up with the rest in your intestinal track.If you take in liquid vitamins you will most likely absorb more and be less likely to have the rest causing problems with them your organ systems.The more you absorb = less toxins in your bloodstream=no sickness/cold.Your kidneys can't always filter the excess toxins so you end up with toxins in your blood stream so you get sick.
|

replied September 30th, 2010
I agree that vitamins are making me sick during the first week. Im home again ! I don't get colds, I don't get the flu. This is the second time though I started a vitamin regimen and ended up sick. My girlfriend told the vitamins are expelling the toxins in my body. Does that make sense to anyone ?? It sounds good to me since this is the second time around this is happening.
|
Quick Reply