Medical Questions > Parenting > Adoption Forum

Adoption Intro - anyone to adopt in WA?

Just wanted to see if anyone else was from washington (if not what sate) and going through the state to adopt? what were/are your experiences?
baby or older child? we want to adopt a little girl from newborn to 2 yrs old.
before anyone bashes me on saying that I just want to say that I already have 2 boys 5 and 2 and can no longer have children due to reasons beyond my control.

Anyways I'm new on here and reading through everything and just thought I would ask.

Thanks for reading
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 24th, 2007
Experienced User
Welcome, I am very glad you are here. I hope you have lots of luck on expanding your own family. My husband and I can't have children on our own due to medical reasons for both of us. We are doing foster care right now and we LOVE it. Every child that comes in this house is a miricle. We haven't had any come open for adoption yet and the oldest we had was 7 the youngest was 1 day old. Anyways I wanted to wish you the best of luck.
|

User Profile
replied October 25th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Just learning about adoption, myself.

My cousin is to adopt an infant girl from China, so can share that experience, as well.

Welcome!
|

replied October 25th, 2007
Hi
Hi guys nice to meet you. So far everything is going ok. But then its just the paperwork so far. I'm very hopeful. When we asked about adopting a little girl 1 or the younger the better they told us that wouldn't be a problem. Let's hope thats the case. We are going to try to adopt a little girl out of the foster care system first, before trying private adoption etc..

This board is really slow though. I was hoping there would be lots of people on here with all kinds of experiences with adoption. I know there are more people out there adopting.

thanks for the welcome.
|

User Profile
replied October 26th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Cool. Please keep me up to date on foster care - I prefer the system to private adoption. Are you going to set yourselves up as foster parents as well?
|

replied October 26th, 2007
we arent really sure about doing foster care too, well not at first but later on that could be a big possibilty. I think that would be taking on too much at once. Adopting a little girl and fostering more kids on top of that wouldnt allow us to give 100% of our attention at once like we will need too. Know what I mean? I just cant wait to finally have a little girl of my own. I have lots of neices but its not the same.
|

replied October 31st, 2007
Experienced User
bash you?!?! i certainly hope not. my husband and i are 25 and have had 2 children biologically but are choosing to adopt our next one. i think that you are doing a wonderful thing. we are persuing adoption through the foster to adopt program in alberta, canada. we were told it is fairly new and it gives a better chance of getting a young baby. the purpose of it is that they hope the first home in care will also be their last, instead of getting settled and then uprooted again. the only thing that concerns us is that our worker told us that the main reason children under a year are in care is because of severe neglet, somtimes bad enough to cause issues for life. but remember, a biological child doesnt guarantee a healthy child. my first baby was born perfect but became more handicapped than almost any child in the system before he died from meningitis as an infant.
good luck to you
|