Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

What Does Your Cervix Feel Like?

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Im 20, a virgin, and just recently felt the inside of my vagina for myself. Ive been to the gyno a few times, but she hasnt really been able to check me, when she tries, it hurts so bad that I end up crying so she stops. She has told me its alright and that I shouldnt worry, that many girls who are virgins find it to be painful. She suggested that I start stretching it out, which I have slowly been doing.

So my question: What does your cervix feel like?

Placing my middle finger in all the way (2 and a half to 3 inches in) I feel a lump of sorts on the stomach side of my vagina, it is moveable, and a half inch to an inch wide, I cant feel anything past that though my finger isnt long enough. Could this be my cervix? And if its not, is this normal to have?
(Also, I was talking to my ex boyfriend, we are still very good friends, and after describing it to him, he said his current girlfriend has it also)
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper UnknownABC
|

User Profile
replied October 23rd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
My suggestionp- go to a different gyno!! If it hurts that much, there is something wrong. Something that a better doctor could fix. It is a myth that virgins are just always tight and when you enter one, it will be painful. That is not normal. You can't stretch out your vagina. It just doesn't work that way. The vaginal walls are muscles, and you can't just reach in and stretch them. See a doctor who will actually do something about it.

Anyway, Your cervix feels like the tip of your nose (it is cartilage) and is not moveable. You should be able to feel around it in the crevices, because it kind've pokes out into the vagina a bit. It's also not on the front wall of the vagina, but at the end. However, your vaginal walls might have lumps, that is normal (to a certain extent)

If you reach your cervix, you will not be able to reach any further (you can't reach past it) it should really just feel like the end of the road. I'd look up some images on the web- you can just google it.

A little ways in on the stomach side of your vagina could be your g-spot, it's a slightly raised spongy bump. You may or may not feel any pleasure when you touch it.

But like I said, go see a better gyno.
|

replied October 26th, 2007
you might be feeling pain because you are tense when you go to the gyno your cervix feels like a bump at the very top of ur vagina everyones is different mine is tilted backwards you can move it because when iv been in labour with all my children iv had to have it walked and pulled forward also i see a gyno every 3 months because iv had changes inthe cells on it and she has to move it too to get a clear view, also its your cervix that flattens and opens to 10 centimeteres when ur giving birth
|

replied October 26th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I have a "shelf" that feels like cartilage on the back side of my vagina, which I NOW think may be the bottom edge of my cervix (thank you divacup lol!). It confused me for many years because it doesn't feel like it's at the "top" and it's not very far in.

For me, the cervix feels like your gums a little, but spongier. It's squishy but feels like it has something hard inside.
|

replied May 6th, 2009
Am I close to giving birth
I am 39 weeks and was wondering, if my stomach feels like he has moved down can I be close to giving birth?
|

replied May 16th, 2010
Problem with cervix/vaginal wall? Is it normal to be so hard?
I'm having problems too. I'm 16 and a virgin. It's on the stomach side of my vaginal wall (is this the cervix) but instead of being like cartillage, it's really, really hard like bone, with a curve in the middle. I can't remember it being there before and I'm quite worried. I heard that it's hardness can change depending on where you are within your menstrual cycle. Can anyone tell me more?
|

replied May 16th, 2010
Especially eHealthy
kaiajosephine, I am not sure how you figure that you are having problems? You sound pretty normal.

"I heard that it's hardness can change depending on where you are within your menstrual cycle" - This is indeed correct. It is soft when you are fertile, hard when you are not fertile. It is low in your vagina (easy to feel) if you are not fertile, high when you are fertile. It will have a little closed hole in the middle when you are not fertile, and a more open hole when you are menstruating or fertile.

Cervical mucus comes out of it when you are fertile and menstrual debris when you have your period. Sperm goes in there when you have unprotected sex and babies comes out of it during natural childbirth.

It can point down or slightly to the back (normal) or point towards your belly when your uterus is retroverted.

It can be pleasurable when touched or extremely sensitive and sore if it is touched.

During arousal it will move as your uterus rise in your body cavity.

During orgasm, you can have contractions running up your cervix and into your uterus. Your cervix will also move around when you orgasm.

Your vagina is a closed tube. When unaroused the walls are flat on top of each other. When you get aroused, the wall will open up and lubricate. At the top of your vagina you will feel something like the tip of your nose. This is your uterus. When it is stiff, it is stiff like the tip of your nose. When it is soft it is soft like your lips.

Remember to wash your hands and groom your fingers before poking around in your vagina. Although it is a closed 'tube' and there is nothing you can damage or push up into your insides when you poke around there, you can get a yeast or bacterial infection and you can scratch yourself.

Feel your cervix every few days to track its changes across your menstrual cycle. Also take a mirror and look at your genitals. The more you know about your own body and how it feels, looks and reacts, the better you can protect your own health in future.

Take care!
|

replied September 4th, 2010
what is wrong with your cervix when there are lumps around it
|

replied September 4th, 2010
Especially eHealthy
Saffie, is this the first time you felt your cervix?

Just like your vagina, it can be rough and uneven. If you are sexually active or older than 20, and have not had a gynecological exam, you should see your doctor.

Take care.
|

replied November 13th, 2010
So is it normal for my cervix to be high and for me to barely feel it when im NOT on my period? but then super close when im on my period. cus when im not on my period i can barely reach it, and when im on my period my husband cant even get inside me and i cant get tampons in.
|

replied May 24th, 2011
okay so when i put my finger in my vagina i guess it is thecervix it has like a little mouth on the endd. and mine is hard and kinda long. idk if it has been like this before but its like a ball at the top far upp. is it normal? i am 17.
|

replied June 23rd, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
the cervix moves thru the month
do this; google beautiful cervix there is a lady who uses a specula (u can buy disposables at any medical supply or order on line)
using a specula and mirror u can see the changes daily
much of the time the cervix will have a mucous plug but near ovulation it will liquify and u can see and fell the opening expand and at that time the cervix will be lined up with the vagina as opposed to being slightly up and out of the way at other times of the month
|

replied June 22nd, 2011
My first (and only) gyno visit went badly just like yours, olia. I was 22 or 23 and the doc had to use the smallest speculum, and it STILL hurt. She had to stop without really even going in because I was screaming from the pain. I know I was tensing up, but something else must be going on because I often have this issue. I can't wear slim fit tampons due to fear of pain (I tense up just thinking about the removal) and *sometimes* I have trouble with penetration during masturbation. It's not a hymen issue because my hymen is gone. I'm a virgin, and I have general anxiety, so I need to somehow learn how to relax myself in these situations. Suggestions? I've learned to associate things going up my vjayjay with pain and tensing up my whole body. I wonder if my vagina muscles have shortened/tightened from being so tense so often. (similar to when neck muscles tense and shorten from being on the computer all the time. The doc's orders are usually to stretch their neck muscles back out daily.).

I feel like a failure and a pathetic excuse for a women for not being comfortable and at ease with my vagina. There's 13 yr old girls using tampons on their first periods. I've had my period for 10 years now, and I still can't use a tampon. It's a defeating feeling. I want to at least know how to, so if I want to go swimming or plan a beach vaca I can without trying to predict my cycle.

Any suggestions would be VERY appreciated.
|

replied June 23rd, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
the vagina has very little sexual nerves in it, so most women have sexual satisfaction from the clitoris, labia minor, and G-Spot so try starting slower with some lub if needed and as u relax find the G-Spot (it is a para-urethral gland, it is encircling the urethra and 70% of women will find it up front beneath the urethra and a few in the middle of urethra and twice that number near the end or bladder
If after taking your time masturbating you still cannot digitally maneuver within the vagina then go back to a Gyn and let them try to help
women are way to self conscience about their normal fluids and cycles
|

replied June 23rd, 2011
Community Volunteer
WOW, I never thought wearing a tampon was a sign of maturity. The marketing material is having its effects. Your personal menstrual hygiene routine is your own business. Its got nothing to do with your friends. The tampon industry seems to be able to create this army of tampon disciples that want to convert pad wearers to switch. I could never understand why women would want to do that. It is a sure sign of immaturity and a lack of confidence in what they do on their side, if they want to convince you to switch.

You say "I tense up just thinking about the removal". That is a sure sign that you are taking it out too early, or that you are not flowing enough to be using tampons. The tampon will absorb all the fluid between your vaginal wall and the tampon. So when you remove it, there is nothing but friction, unless the tampon is soaked through. Think friction like a carpet burn.

You can put personal lubricant on your finger and rub it on the vaginal walls before removing it. That may help. (Just like you can put lube on the applicator before inserting it.)

Different tampons also behave differently. Some get wider, some get longer when they expand. OB is one that gets wider. One applicator type also does that, I just can't recall which one right now. If necessary, go to the teen sizes with plastic applicators.

You should speak to your ObGyn about your other pain problems. You can also try vaginal dilators, but sometimes the problem is not just tightness but muscle issues. You can find a set of dilators when you use the google to search for 'vaginismus helping women overcome sexual pain'. The top site have much useful information and a set of FDA approved vaginal dilators, so your doctor can even prescribe these.

You can also talk to your doctor about using birth control pills to make your periods very predictable or even happen less frequently.

Best of luck!
|

replied May 8th, 2012
Help I'm 16 and I'm not sure if it's my cervix or a tampon. I can't remember if I took the last one out and Ive put my index finger up as far as it will go, I can feel a sort of spongy thing and it's slightly rubbery is this my cervix? In really scared
|

replied June 25th, 2012
Hi, I am 16 and I am a virgin, I have had oral sex with my boyfriend, and he has pleasured me by inserting his finger but nothing more, I was in a shower and I felt a lump and with all the descriptions sounds like my cervix only thing is there is no hole at all on it? I am a week and half before my period is due and I am experiencing a really really dark thick brown discharge, some times it is quite light and clumpy, my Vagina is quite sore around the opening and I am a little concerned, the discharge is nearly all the time between my periods and I have only recently had it the past 2 months and with the lump I am worrying, I looked it up on another page and some one said it may be cancer and I freaked out. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
|

replied June 27th, 2012
Community Volunteer
You should see a doctor about the discharge.

The hole in the cervix are very very small. It will feel like a little dimple to you. If it was any bigger, germs and infections would get inside your body there.
|

replied January 29th, 2013
I can totally understand pain when going for gyno exams as a virgin. Some virgins are really that tight. I had sex for the first time when I was 20 and I was so tight that he only got it in a couple inches before the pain got unbearable. It took a few tries on separate occasions to be able to finally do it. The good news is, you totally can stretch out your vagina (I can have sex fine now) if it's just tightness, and your gyno was right you could try to work up to it. There is a condition called vulvodynia that you could read about http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulvodynia but it doesn't sound like you have it since you're able to touch your vagina yourself.
|

User Profile
replied January 30th, 2013
Community Volunteer
This could be a yeast infection...If you look in a mirror into this area deep inside your vagina you will see if it is white when it comes out or not...If it does concern you see your OB-GYN...Take care...

Caroline
|