Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Knee Giving Way

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
I really don't know how to describe this. But for the last couple of months at purely random times my knee will give way and il collapse onto my other leg (its like it cant support my weight anymore). When it happens It feels like its moving out of place and then popping itself back in. The pain when it happens is excruciating, but it only lasts a second or two. However, after its happened, my knee continues to ache the rest of the day, and its more likely to happen again.

Where it happens is completely random, its happened playing tennis and simply walking around. Also, its not localized to one leg, on different days it happens to different knees.

Also, it may be important to say that my knees hyper extend and go backwards by 15 or so degrees. Any help on what is happening would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper mustang67
|

User Profile
replied October 22nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Have you had any injuries?

You may want to check this in with the doctor. When you knees just give out, it could indicate acl problems. How long has this been happening? How old are you?

hehe that's pretty gross with your leg. Hyperextension can also cause strain on the acl though, so don't do it too much especially if you're knee gets sore afterwards.
Keep me posted!
|

Thanks for replying. I'm only 19 and i've never had any injuries. My mum did have acl problems, but she hurt it playing netball. Its been happening for the last 6 months, but never before that. And the first time was just walking home one day.

As for the hyperextension, its always happening. When i stand up they automatically lock backwards. Apart from looking kinda creepy it usually doesn't cause problems. After a few hours of standing they do get pretty sore, but i just figure thats cos i dont do much standing.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Ugh, I just wrote you a huge thing and then I had to log in again... lame

Anyways, to sum it up. You hyperextend your knees when you stand(like you said) and I figure you probably do it when you walk as well. Hyperextension DOES strain your acl and your knee giving out definetly indicates ligament issues. I think you may just have a weak acl-- I think-- there's a lot of stuff going on in your knee so its hard to tell.

So stregnthen your leg muscles, especially the quads. Getting more muscle can help prevent more injury too. Sometimes all you need is a little muscle and your symptoms will just kinda go away-- its what happened to my mom anyways, and I know my knee hurts more when I'm in the off season when I spend a lot of time on the couch Very Happy

Try not to let your legs lock quite so much when you stand. And be sure to ice and rest your leg when its sore!

Good luck, and sorry you kind of got the short version. let me know if you need anything else or something doesn't make sense.
|

replied January 23rd, 2009
cant stand up
hi
just recently i got out of bed & tryed to walk to my alarm clock but it seemed asif my knees gave way because i had no control on my legs & i just collased. When i tryed to stand up my legs went like jelly & could not surport me & i fell to the floor again i did this several times but finally mangage to get the surport back in my legs & got up & carried on as normal... any ideas what this could have been ?
thanks x
|

replied November 3rd, 2012
kne
i have this now and i went too the doctors with it and i payed to see a surgeon and he said it is keyhole surgery or physiotherapy i am going for the surgery

contact me on this email if you want 2 know
|

replied January 31st, 2013
acl
I heard my knee pop while shadow boxing and did not fall to the ground but limped away. I could not stand on it for about 3min but then walked it off ever since my knee has felt funny. 3days later it does not really hurt no swelling but it feels like its going to give it when I'm coming off of stairs hard or jumping. Could it be acl
|

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2013
Especially eHealthy
ozzy1899,

The most common mechanism of injury for an ACL is a noncontact landing event, such as a wide receiver coming down after catching a pass and falling to the ground because the ACL tore upon landing.

Also, if the ACL tore there would be quite a bit of swelling in the joint. There is an artery running along the ACL which also gets torn with the ACL. Thus, the artery bleeds and the joint swells up.

But, it is possible to have a partial tear and not have any swelling.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of things that can cause a pop in the knee. It will take a very thorough examination of the knee to determine what you have done.

Also, after an injury, the quad muscles can atrophy very quickly. The quads are the muscles that keep the knee from giving way. If there is any pain in the knee, the quads can be inhibited, thus they do not fire when they should and the knee gives way.

So, when a patient complains about giving way the things checked for are weak quads, pain in the knee, and then ligament insufficiency.

If the symptoms continue, you need to be seen by an orthopedic surgeon. You probably would want to see an orthopedist who has a fellowship in sportsmedicine.

Good luck.
|

replied February 1st, 2013
acl
Gaelic

I went to a urgent care doctor. He made me squat in front of him and then duck walked towards him. Then he started to pull on my leg in every direction. He said it was a sprain he looked sketchy tho lol.
|

User Profile
replied February 1st, 2013
Especially eHealthy
ozzy1899,

The squat and duck walk is actually looking for meniscal injuries.

To assess the ligaments takes specific manuevers for each one.

The collateral ligaments on the sides of the knee are tested by trying to move the leg sideways, to see if the knee "books open".

The ACL is tested with an anterior drawer test and with the Lachman's test. This is done by trying to move the tibia off of the femur, in an anterior direction.

The PCL is tested with a posterior drawer and a quad active test.

So, it could be a sprain, which is a injury to a ligament. Did he say which ligament? Sprains are also graded, as to the severity of the injury.

Grade I spains are mild and will heal on their own.

Grade II sprains usually cause a bit of discomfot and require some time off. But, they are still intact ant will heal on their own with some time. Usually, the patient needs some rehab after this injury.

Grade III is a complete rupture of the ligament. Depending upon which ligament, some will heal on their own, such of the collateral ligaments in the knee, but other will not, such as the ACL. The ACL ligament is inside the knee, so it is bathed in synovial fluid, which prevents its healing.

So, depending upon the grade and which ligament, you can probably heal this on its own. Just be careful for a little while. Work on your quad strengthening, that is the most important muscle set.

Good luck.
|