Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Rash/itch Around Ears, Neck, Under Jaw; Swollen Ears

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
I first developed this problem around 4 or 5 days ago. At first I didn't really feel any bumps; mostly I felt itchy around my ears. It seems like after I kept scratching, the itchiness traveled to the other areas, and I could see the small red (but not really raised) bumps. It seemed to be especially itchy when I woke up from bed or settled down to sleep.

Today I noticed my ears were red and warm, and my earlobes (especially my right one) were swollen. I did some poking around with search engines and worried I had cauliflower ears; this usually results from a blow to the ear which I don't happen to recall, but my right earlobe was similar to one of the pictures I saw, and I read in one entry that a doctor saw a patient with cauliflower ear and concluded it was due to excessive scratching of the ear. My ears aren't hard and don't really seem to hurt yet, however.

I would have badgered my dad into bringing me to the doctor, but today is Sunday, and he said that the doctors wouldn't be available. If you have any idea if my swollen ear is serious like the cauliflower ear or why I developed this rash, please reply. I don't know if this is the appropriate forum to post, so if it isn't, it'd be really nice if someone would just move it to the right place. Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 30th, 2009
I have this exact same problem right now. I thought it was from maybe swimming in a contaminated pool or something? Did you happen to find out what it was and how did you fix it?
|

replied December 18th, 2009
Do either of you use tanning beds? I first has the same reaction last week, minus the swollen ears...mine are just very itchy...and I have the rash which only came up a day after the itching started, around my ears, my jaw line and neck...it is now around the back of my neck and chest...it went away after a few days, but the itch was still present, and I went tanning 2 days ago and its back and worse than ever. I am having to use a cold cream to sooth the itch, but it only helps so much.
|

replied March 28th, 2011
the itchiness from a tanning bed is that your skin is trying to breath and your pores are stretching (from your skin being dry). Using lotion while in a tanning bed is extremely important. Otherwise, you could be illergic to the tanning bed cleaner too. I use to work at a tanning salon
|

replied December 23rd, 2009
I do use tanning beds, but not around the time I got the rash. You should probably stop going though, because it could be contaminated or just increasing your problem. Mine actually went away after a few days, but I still don't know what caused it. Good luck though!
|

replied March 28th, 2011
When you result in itching after using a tanning bed, it is because your skin is too dry. When you do not use lotion or have mosturized skin and enter a bed, your pores try to stretch to get oxygen and end up in tearing (causing the itchiness). Also, it can be by the illergic reaction to the cleaning chemicals from the bed. I use to work at a salon.
|

replied March 1st, 2010
scabies
You have Scabies
|

User Profile
replied December 11th, 2011
scabies are more on your hands, between fingers. and itch like crazy!!
|

replied June 20th, 2011
Severe rash
I have similar symptoms and have determined that I am allergic to my shampoo/conditioner. I had only used the products three times when the symptoms started. Once I used them a fourth time, I pretty much wanted to die. The rash is terrible. It started on my ears, which are very swollen, itchy, and red. The rash has spread to my my scalp, down my back and is migrating to my face. I can hardly sleep because of the extreme discomfort.
|

replied October 12th, 2011
RASH IN EARS
IVE HAD RASH IN MY EARS ABOUT SIX YEAR OR LONGER.WENT DOCTORS STILL HAVE IT.NO ONE KNOW WHAT TO DO FOR IT.
|

replied August 1st, 2012
Swollen Itchy Ears and Spreading. How do I get rid of it?
I have the same thing as "scorzonera." I went to the doctor and they though it was cauliflower ear too and then they thought I had a bacterial infection and proscribed antibiotics. This is day 2 and there is no improvement. It obviously isn't an infection. Does anyone know how to get rid of it? I saw an ENT and he didn't know.
|

replied May 12th, 2013
I started having these same symptoms a little over a week ago, my husband teased me about my ear looking like I had been wrestling. I got the same reaction from a doctor, she thought it was an infection because my lymphnode was also swollen. Put me on an antibiotic then a couple days later my neck broke out in a rash. Then the doctor put me on prendisone (sp?). I finished the prendisone 2 days ago and I woke up this morning my neck is itching worse and it seems my other ear is swelling shut. I haven't changed soaps or detergents...can anyone help? Has anyone found relief yet or what this is??
|

replied June 17th, 2013
I have similar symptoms - I went to a hair dresser who used shampoo and conditioner that initially irritated my scalp as she used it but b/c I never use anything but an organic chemical free shampoo/conditioner I figured I was a little sensitive. Now the red and itchy sensation on one ear has spread to the other and a rash is forming down my neck. Seeing the post from melodyalyssa above triggered the ONLY change in my routine for the past 2 weeks. I do believe it is the shampoo/conditioner but I am going to go to the doctor b/c I read on another blog that it could be cellulitis - not something to mess with. Dr's opinion needed at my end at this stage but I am convinced it is the shampoo/conditioner. I cannot post what was used b/c it was not mine (it was a hair dresser's product) - but I think it would be a good idea for you all to post the shampoos/conditioning/hair products you are using so you can see if there is a commonality there. Good luck to all.
|

replied June 17th, 2013
Try the using turnmeric powder paste.

I have it regularly. Don't know exact cause.
But it helped me in a good way
|