Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Septate Hymen (Page 1)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
I was doing some research inspired by a recent misinformed poster, and so I looked up septate hymens, since that's the kind I had. I didn't know it was rare! Very Happy I feel special now!

This particular paragraph really struck home for me because this is exactly what happened to me on my very first period with the very first tampon I inserted!
Quote:
A septate hymen refers to a band of extra hymeneal tissue running vertically in the area of the normal hymen. A hymeneal septum may interfere with a woman's ability in insert a tampon or she may find that she can insert the tampon but once it expands with blood, she cannot remove the tampon.

I freaked out so much when it happened... basically, the tampon gets stuck on the septum on the way out, and boy is that painful! I had to push the tampon back in and move the septum to the side to get it out. I'd never touched myself down there so I didn't know what was wrong; I thought maybe I'd left the tampon in too long and my body was trying to grow over it!

I was scared to use tampons for years after that, though I did eventually "have" to try them again for a general girls-health exam that involved external examination of the genitals.

I dealt with this inconvenience for years, until my septum finally broke during sex after many months of being sexually active.

Anyone else with a septate hymen tale to tell? Very Happy I don't blame my mom for not knowing, since it is rare!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Achelois
|
Users who thank Tylanas for this post: snooze2010  shanban123  Shortney  OlbersParadox  guest88573 

User Profile
replied October 21st, 2007
Experienced User
I dunno what kind of hymen I had, or if I even had one at all Confused I never ever looked down there. Oh well, guess I'll never know!
|

replied April 16th, 2008
yes
i saw your post on a girl's message to this subject.
i have the same exact problem.
i am very relieved!
thank you so much.
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
wow thats crazy...im glad you could be of help to a lot of women. I know i wasnt taught about my body and really had to learn all things on my own.

Mine broke the 1st time I had sex. I never looked at myself down there or even touched myself. But my first time was very painful and i bled afterwards.
|

replied April 22nd, 2008
I had the same problem. Basically identical to the description you gave!. When using tampons i could not remove them and had to push them back up to pull the skin to one side to remove it. Yes it does HURT!!
After putting up this this for a couple of years i finally went to the doctors to be examined, she then referred me to the gynecologist which i had to be put on a waiting list to be seen. When my appointment came i had to have a scan to see that my uterus was normal as sepate hymens can cause a double uterus apparently!- Everything was fine tho. I was then put on another waiting list to have the hymen removed under general anesthetic- not pleasent. However i did not feel any pain down there once i woke up, but had the worst headache ever and bad sickness so i had to stay in hospital.

If you do have this problem- dont put it off, go and see your doctor dont be embarrassed!
|

replied January 13th, 2013
WOW... how was that procedure? I knew that it was a hymen and I was so annoyed with the whole tampon situation! That was the only issue i have ever had.
I just recently found out (after playing with my new christmas presents) That my little vagina divider was GONE.
I knew i had been sore for a bit and i thought it was a UTI but now I know that i need to take it easy for a few days!!
|

replied April 22nd, 2008
I had the same problem. Basically identical to the description you gave!. When using tampons i could not remove them and had to push them back up to pull the skin to one side to remove it. Yes it does HURT!!
After putting up this this for a couple of years i finally went to the doctors to be examined, she then referred me to the gynecologist which i had to be put on a waiting list to be seen. When my appointment came i had to have a scan to see that my uterus was normal as sepate hymens can cause a double uterus apparently!- Everything was fine tho. I was then put on another waiting list to have the hymen removed under general anesthetic- not pleasent. However i did not feel any pain down there once i woke up, but had the worst headache ever and bad sickness so i had to stay in hospital.

If you do have this problem- dont put it off, go and see your doctor dont be embarrassed!
|

replied March 14th, 2009
Do you need to ask a doctor about it or have it removed at all? I noticed it years ago when I was a little girl and I didn't know what it was but I figured everyone had it and it was there for the purpose of keeping your tampon in. I guess I'd be scared to get it cut because when you have to pull it aside like that it hurts, so I figure it would hurt really bad to cut it. And I don't want to bother my mom and ask her to pay for a surgery that's unnecessary. Is it bad to have a septate hymen?
|

replied April 14th, 2009
i just found out i have it and i told my mom today after searching the internet. and let me tell you its way useful. because im not embarrassed to talk to my mom about it but im a virgin and your absolutely right. when i first used a tampon and it got stuck i got really scared and everyone was like your crazy and my grandma was even like dont be such a baby but i was scared. i finally had to get in the shower and push it back up and move the thing to the side. and ya it does hurt. but thanks for the information!=]
|

replied May 1st, 2009
HELP
I have a problem i tried puttinga nuvaring on its a type of bc. and i noticed that i have two enteries. i dont know if that is a septate hymen or what it is . i am so scared. please reply.
|

replied May 5th, 2009
yea I had the same experience too when I had to remove a tampon for the first time. It hurt so badly and I thought I must have inserted it wrong or something! My mom had no idea what I meant when I told her that there was a piece of skin in the way and I couldn't get my tampon out, so I had to figure it out on my own. I'm going to get it cut soon though.. It's such a weird problem to have! haha
|

replied May 19th, 2009
help
i have whaa i think is a septate hymen .. im soo scared i darent tell my mum about it thom.. what do i do .. how can eny one helpme .. im only 15 and dont want to see a doctor..any advice?
|

replied May 28th, 2009
Hahaha not so rare after all! (me too)
I'm now 19 years old and i experienced the same problem when i was 15 and again at 16. I have had a regular perion since i was 9 which my doctor confirmed as normal. I unfortunately found myself on my period around summer when we we're all planning on going swimming so i decided to use a tampon getting it in was'nt really painfull just uncomfortable....the problem came when i tried taking it out...i realised almost immediately that it must be my hymen as i had a almost sinuos piece ove flesh that was over laping the tampon. I did eventually got the damn thing out and swore i'ld never use them again...after that incident i did some research and found out all about this Septate hymen thing (which many girls seem to have) which i then spoke to my mom about, who seeemed a little unsure as she said "i understand what your telling me but i think you may be over reacting". i eventually got the courage to try tampons again as i thought perhaps it would be better this time round it was'nt and i can honestly say this has to have been the worst experience of my life as i had to eventually ask my mom for a little help...could of died from humiliation, but atleast she had first hand knowlegde now of what i meant and took it very seriously.
I did see a ghynocologist whom examined me and said that everything was perfectly normal and that i did not need surgeory but did need to loosen up and not worry so much...oh and stay away from tampons for a while.

I do however want to know whether the septate hymen will deteriorate naturally or will it "break" as does a normal hymen during sex?

If so does it break completely or not?

Also first time sex usually contains a certain degree of pain and blood but how much of both should i expect in my case?

thanks for posting this, its always good to know your not alone.Smile
|

replied May 28th, 2009
I have it too
I was so worried the first time I found out I had it. I was like 'why me?'. But researching it and finding out that it had a name and other people have it aswell helped a lot. But it doesn't make it go away Sad
And I've felt the pain aswell. I couldn't even get tampons in at first and used to sit there trying for ages. But now I have two holes to insert them. It's just getting the damn things out!
When it came to telling my mum, she didn't like the thought of me using tampons and doesn't want me to get it cut just yet because I suppose she sees that I can't really have sex while it's there. I'll get it sorted some day though! (:
|

replied May 28th, 2009
Me too.
I have a septate hymen as well, and had the whole tampon issue too. I recently think i wasn't paying attention and pulled a little too hard on my tampon and it has bruised my hymen. is that normal? it is really sore, but not ripped and has formed a bit of a purple-ish bruise in the middle. the worst part is i have strep throat and the antibiotics gave me a yeast infection, so im a mess at the moment.
|

replied June 9th, 2009
I had the same problem!
And I've gone on for about 4 years of using a tampon and not realising it was "weird"
I mean, my girlfriend's vag was different but I figured it was just because she's had lots of sex
And I've had sex with two guys but apparently that didn't break it. :\
It's odd. but I'm happy I'm not the only one!
|

replied June 16th, 2009
my personal experience in detail
ok, so raised in a very feminist house, knew what everything looked like vagina wise for me at least. I always knew i had a "cord" there, sadly didnt really clue into the fact that it was my hymen Sad
I've have bruised it on tampons, the bruising goes away, but you might want to avoid them all togeather as you will bruise again if it expands too much...ouch!

so I have sex, with tons of foreplay, with a guy i'd been with a couple of times(...and will likely never get with again after the last time) and my septate hymen was broken and became a subseptate hymen.
A nice way of saying it tore, and bled. Alot. not that i knew it at the time, or for a while later.

After i got rid of him, with an excuse that it was likely my period returning as it had only ended the previous day, i got in the shower to check out just why i was bleeding so bad. Endorphins for the amazing sex were still covering up the majority of the pain so i expexted that maybe i had a small cut or that it really was my period and that my ureter was bruised.. as hazard of being with a guy who is huge and having marathon sex.

I got a major suprise that i'm pretty sure put me into shock, there as something dangeling from my vagin and it was swollen bruised and bloody. I freaked! I began to cry and called my sister told her she needed to take me to the emergency room. She of course had to pick up a friend on the way.

I got in to see a doctor within the hour, an hour of my sisters friend telling me about loosing her virginity and getting something called a tag(which i now realise is a subseptate hymen) and making me feel better. When i fanally got in to the real waiting room the doctor came in and asked how long i'd been pregnant... he had the wrong chart. Then when he examined me he didnt look at anything outside my cervix or vagina. he told me that i had a tiny cut on the vaginal wall and to grow up and basically to stop wasting the hospitals time fraking out. the worst part is i live in a realtivly small city and still see the guy all the time... i just want to shake him for being so insensitive and then myself for not being more assertive about my own body.

I took a good amount of teasing from my sister and went for a drink at our favorite bar... my favorite gay bartender till asks me "hows it hanging?"
unknowing that there is something hanging.

the next day i went to the bathroom at work and noticed that i hadnt been hystarical, there was something hanging and it looked worse that it had the day before.
Luckly my aunt and godmother, whot is also a nurse walked by the bar i worked it, i ran out into the street and grabbed her, bth she and my mom had no idea what i was talking about when i said cord... had to be the most embarrasing conversation in my life.

got to my family doctor, got told it was a subseptate hymen, or "tag", that i could have it removed or not that it was not unusual at all.
I told my mom and my aunt... bot had a different shaped hymen as they blamed it on my dads side of the family.

I still went into shock for a while, not believing the doctor, sure that i was damaged in some way, altered irreversibly. what i didnt realise was that, while physically i had a tiny part of my body changed that didnt really matter at all any more that getting a scar on my knee or a hang nail, it was how i delt with it that mattered.

my sisters friend said she had trouble tlling guys about it as she didnt like hers, it still made her feel uncomfortable, she couldnt get the same joy out of oral sex.
I say embrace it. Penis's and vagina's come in all sorts of different shapes, colors, sizes embrace yours and love it.
No guy has ever notice the difference, or really cared at all about it when i told them what happened, except to know that i was ok and that it didnt cause me pain during sex and it hasnt.

you can have the surgery to have it removed or cut and that might be for you, but its not really necessary, you could live your life without it causing you any problems.

Its really a matter of personal choice, do what feels comfortable for you.

i hope this story help someone...even if i was rather long about it Smile
|

replied April 1st, 2012
Thank you so much for your post! I have the same thing. I believe it started as a septate hymen but due to abuse when I was younger I think it broke into a subseptate hymen. I was terrified for the longest time that there was something wrong with me and because of the situation surrounding it I did not feel comfortable talking to anyone about it. I also worried that my future husband would look at me weird. I can not tell you how amazing and helpful it is to be able to put a name to it and know that I am not alone or broken.
|

replied June 17th, 2009
septate hymen
just wondering if it has broke, do you need to get the broken bits removed?
|

replied June 17th, 2009
thanks for this help! i was wondering though, as i am only 15 can i just go to my local gp and ask them about it? or are they not look at me down there? i might sound stupid but i really have no idea! i feel so abnormal! i just want it surgically removed but i live just with my dad and i reaaally wouldnt want him knowing about it! can it be donein the gp's office? thanks, pleaase reply!
|

replied June 17th, 2009
you should go to your gp and get it looked at, see if you want to do the surgery and exactly what the effects of the surgery are. Sadly you have to weigh the pro's and the cons yourself on this one. You dont NEED to get it removed, whin mine first broke i thought there was absolutly no way i would not do the surgery, but i not only began to date someone that week(who is now one of my better friends even though we dont go out anymore) and he was really supportive about the whole thing. Since then i;ve been with other guys and they havnt noticed or said a thing about it.
sadly after you go to the gp, if you do decide to go and get the surgery you are likely gonna have to talk to your dad about it... i know talking to my mm about it wasnt fun, infact it was incredibly embarrasing, but i feel better for it.
your dad just wants to know your safe and healthy, and happy. I highly reccomend you go to the gp and take things from there, if you do have to tell your dad(for parental consent or insurance reasons) you might be able to ask the gp for some advice on the subject. Or if you have any female relatives you can do a test run, i told my aunt and she related everything to my mom on the phone because i was so wrked up abou tthe whole thing.

good luck
|

replied June 18th, 2009
Septate hymen - should it be removed?
I have a septate hymen, as I only discovered recently, which makes it annoyingly difficult to get tampons back out... I'm 23 but only recently started using tampons at all, because I never used to be able to get them in in the first place. I'm trying to decide whether I should bother getting it surgically removed, or just let it get torn on my wedding night (which is approaching)! Maybe I'm a wimp, but I'm kind of scared of how much it's likely to hurt/bleed if I don't get it fixed, since it seems fairly tough... Anyone got any advice?
|