Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Surgical Mesh Complications (Page 2)

Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....

April 13th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
If I can be of any help please let me know. I don't want to see anymore people suffer from hernia surgeries that went wrong.
Bowel problems are a symptom with hernias.
I knew someone who had a hernia in which it became strangulated around his intestines, he had to have part of his intestines removed. This woke him up in the middle of night with terrible pain which sent him to the ER.
I understand the pain from hernias and now I am suffering from complications from the mesh and one of my surgeons was a so called hernia specialized.
Keep us posted and best wishes to you..Smile
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied April 14th, 2008
Hernia surgery report
Hi..I got a copy of my surgery report from the surgeons office. I noticed a lot of people saying I need the specific mesh information and to obtain a report. My report only stated that a mesh was used nothing in detail...how do I find out what type of mesh was used? 8 months since my open inguinal hernia surgery and having sever pain groin and aroudn the scar...
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied April 14th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Hernia surgery report
damoc74 wrote:
Hi..I got a copy of my surgery report from the surgeons office. I noticed a lot of people saying I need the specific mesh information and to obtain a report. My report only stated that a mesh was used nothing in detail...how do I find out what type of mesh was used? 8 months since my open inguinal hernia surgery and having sever pain groin and aroudn the scar...


Hi there

You need to get the operative report from the hospital, you have to ask for this report with the type of mesh used, the product number, and lot number.

Sorry to hear you are having problems. Sad
Keep us posted and feel free to pm me anytime.

Did you look through the sticky at the top of this forum regarding the complications from mesh?

Hang in there.. Smile
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 20th, 2008
I recently read about a product called hawthornia, which is a blend of herbs that will restore the Qi in a person. A hernia will have an underlying cause, not just a weakness in the abdominal wall, but possibly a general weakness or lack of something. I have recently ordered some hawthornia online, and hopefully it will help. I have had 1 hernia which was repaired by the mesh surgery, with no complications, although I am aware of it from time to time. I want to take the hawthornia to try to prevent any further hernias occuring, and to treat the underlying cause so that I can be more well. Do a search online for hawthornia, to find out more and buy some. It might be worth considering.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied April 26th, 2008
just found out about inguinal hernia...
Hi, I just found out today that I have a hernia, the doctor said he thinks its inguinal, but its unusual because its a little high for it to be inguinal. Im making an appointment with a general surgeon tomorrow. I'm glad I read through this site, because I dont want to get the mesh! I never realized how intense a hernia repairing could be. So what advice can you all give me? The bump is pretty small, and i feel a little pain going from the bump through my spermatic cord i believe. I'm not really sure yet though. All i know is that there seems to be a lot of controversy over the mesh, so what other options are their? should i go to a few different general surgeons or what? Your advice will be greatily appreciated.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied April 26th, 2008
just found out about inguinal hernia...
Hi, I just found out today that I have a hernia, the doctor said he thinks its inguinal, but its unusual because its a little high for it to be inguinal. Im making an appointment with a general surgeon tomorrow. I'm glad I read through this site, because I dont want to get the mesh! I never realized how intense a hernia repairing could be. So what advice can you all give me? The bump is pretty small, and i feel a little pain going from the bump through my spermatic cord i believe. I'm not really sure yet though. All i know is that there seems to be a lot of controversy over the mesh, so what other options are their? should i go to a few different general surgeons or what? Your advice will be greatily appreciated.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied April 26th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi again

Other options are The Shouldice Repair and the old fashion way of repairing a hernia before meshes came into the picture. There is another repair I can not remember at the moment.
There is a lot of controversy over the mesh. Some people do well while others really suffer and end up in pain.

Did you read through the sticky on top of this thread.
Here's the link: it's called hernia mesh complications

http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic128131 .html
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied April 30th, 2008
mesh repairs
I am a female who had a hernia repair several years ago. I have mesh protecting the abdomenal wall and a small amount near at the groin area.
I have not experienced the pain others have experienced but for years I had been trying to find the cause of sever pain when I would have intercourse. It took seven years for a doctor to finally figure out that it is something called Lichen Scelorsis.
Supposedly this contition does have periods where the person is symtom free.
I never have a symptom free time. This condition is only prevelent in like 1% of the population. It seems like a higher percentage of people are reacting to mesh.
I am of course wondering, since lichen sclerosis is an autoimmunity disorder and I have no other autoimmunities (except bees and pynicillin) if perhaps I am actually reacting to the mesh being there so close to the vaginal walls etc. Have any other women had this kind of reaction?
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied April 30th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
mommasketch

It sounds like the mesh is giving you these problems.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied February 23rd, 2012
I agree that the mesh is the cause.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied May 3rd, 2008
has anyone had a rash as a complication?
I have had 5 hernia repairs with mesh, in my lower stomach area, my last being in 2005. I recently laid In the tanning bed, I was burnt badly. A few days later I realized I had this rash underneath my bra area and down on my stomach. I tried all the otc products to treat the rash but it never really went away. I first thought it was sun poising but I have my doubts now, being that I have had this rash for at least a month now. When the actual rash disappears it is still very itchy and the skins peels somewhat, then the rash will return. I can’t find any reason for the rash, nor anything to treat it. My hernia is bulging slightly again but not badly. I am just curious, I have no clue as to what type mesh was used but will find out on Monday, has anyone had a rash as a complication?
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied December 14th, 2011
I too have a RASH. 3 days ago had surgery (hernia in groin) used a mesh. I'm going to call the dr. tomorrow or go to hospital where the surgery was done.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied May 3rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Chryslee

Welcome to ehealth

You've had a lot of hernia repairs also. Did you have mesh with each repair?

I have not heard of a rash reaction from the mesh. Is it possible you are having reaction to the tanning bed itself, possibly the spray they use to clean the beds or the person before you used a lotion which didn't wash off the tanning bed? Are you on medications that can increase your chances of a burn?

You can try posting in skin disorders forum.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied May 3rd, 2008
Thanks!

I would have possibly thought maybe it was the tanning bed but I only went once and haven't been able to go since. I once had an infection after my hernia was repaired and I itched on my legs badly , due to the infection inside. I have had mesh on most of the repairs. The last one said I would never have to have it done again, it wont be long and I will have to again though.
I am just weighing options at this point, being that I have tried all prescription meds I know and have along with all the otc ones.

I might just try that see if they have any thoughts.

Thanks again
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied May 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Please keep us updated on your rash and the hernia meshes.
I am suffering from the meshes. Did you know they had a recall on some the meshes a while back?

What type of infection did you have was it in the mesh? What did they do for you?
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied May 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Downer1040

The bowel problems are a common with hernias and can become more of a problem after surgery. When you do find a surgeon ask a lot of questions about the type of repair, type of mesh, complications,how many he/she has performed, is it going to be done open or laproscopically, etc..

We are here to help each other and anytime you need to pm me.

Hang in there.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied May 14th, 2008
hawthornia
I read on the Internet elsewhere about a product called Hawthornia, it is a blend of Chinese herbs, including hawthorn, that strengthens the abdominal parts to prevent or heal hernias. I am taking it myself. It is not easy to find online, but if you search hard enough you should be able to find it for sale. I bought some and am now taking it, to prevent another hernia.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 24th, 2008
complications from hernia surgery using mesh
My son had hernia surgery using some type of mesh in January. He was supposed to see his doctor the next week for a check up. Before he could see the doctor, he ended up in the emergency room because he started throwing up and could not stop. They had to give him several different medicines to stop the vomiting. He has been to the emergency room four times for the same thing since January. They keep telling him that it has nothing to do with the surgery. I couldn't even get his doctor to come to the emergency room to see if it was from the surgery. They have run every test possible and it keeps showing nothing wrong. Last night was his fourth trip. They can't find anything wrong and he has never done this before the surgery and I can't even get them to consider that there is problem associated with this surgery. I am at a total loss as what to do. Has anyone had any reactions from hernia surgery like this? They want to do another procto!!!!! Please send me any information that you may have. I am open to recommendations. Thank you, Diane
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 25th, 2008
Re: has anyone had a rash as a complication?
Chryslee wrote:
I have had 5 hernia repairs with mesh, in my lower stomach area, my last being in 2005. I recently laid In the tanning bed, I was burnt badly. A few days later I realized I had this rash underneath my bra area and down on my stomach. I tried all the otc products to treat the rash but it never really went away. ... has anyone had a rash as a complication?


I have a rash too. I had inguinal hernia and it was repaired using the mesh in December 2007. Since then I have developed a rash just above the penis, next to the surgical wound, and slightly on the base of the penis too.

I suffer from eczema, which I assume this is, although after reading your post (which I had not noticed previously) I was thinking that maybe sometimes the mesh surgery can cause a rash, although I do not know why. Mine is probably eczema, but I never had it there before the surgery. It appeared shortly after the surgery and has remained ever since. I do have quite a few eczema patches on my legs and feet, and arms too, and cannot get rid of that. The new rash might be the same or different.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 25th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi and Welcome to EHEALTH
diane54 wrote:
My son had hernia surgery using some type of mesh in January. He was supposed to see his doctor the next week for a check up. Before he could see the doctor, he ended up in the emergency room because he started throwing up and could not stop. They had to give him several different medicines to stop the vomiting. He has been to the emergency room four times for the same thing since January. They keep telling him that it has nothing to do with the surgery. I couldn't even get his doctor to come to the emergency room to see if it was from the surgery. They have run every test possible and it keeps showing nothing wrong. Last night was his fourth trip. They can't find anything wrong and he has never done this before the surgery and I can't even get them to consider that there is problem associated with this surgery. I am at a total loss as what to do. Has anyone had any reactions from hernia surgery like this? They want to do another procto!!!!! Please send me any information that you may have. I am open to recommendations. Thank you, Diane


Hi Diane
So sorry your son is ill. Have they done an MRI or CT Scan? (MRI's are better) It's important to find a doctor/radiologist who knows what to look for with the meshes, who knows how to read the scans.
Have you returned to his surgeon? Have you considered taking him to another surgeon? Many surgeons don't see a problem with the mesh and I know how frustrating it can be.
Also you should get copies of all his medical records (including scans and films) from the day of his opertion to the present all ER visit also, make sure you get the operative report this will tell what type of mesh he has implanted in him, it will also have the lot and product numbers.
If they didn't find anything on the first procto then why do they want to do another one?
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 25th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Re: has anyone had a rash as a complication?
davidak wrote:
Chryslee wrote:
I have had 5 hernia repairs with mesh, in my lower stomach area, my last being in 2005. I recently laid In the tanning bed, I was burnt badly. A few days later I realized I had this rash underneath my bra area and down on my stomach. I tried all the otc products to treat the rash but it never really went away. ... has anyone had a rash as a complication?


I have a rash too. I had inguinal hernia and it was repaired using the mesh in December 2007. Since then I have developed a rash just above the penis, next to the surgical wound, and slightly on the base of the penis too.

I suffer from eczema, which I assume this is, although after reading your post (which I had not noticed previously) I was thinking that maybe sometimes the mesh surgery can cause a rash, although I do not know why. Mine is probably eczema, but I never had it there before the surgery. It appeared shortly after the surgery and has remained ever since. I do have quite a few eczema patches on my legs and feet, and arms too, and cannot get rid of that. The new rash might be the same or different.


It sounds like you might be having a reaction to the mesh. This stuff is wicked and does some really nasty things to the body.
Have you been back to the doctor for this? If you never had this before the mesh (in this area), it seems to me the mesh is doing something to your body. I know eczema can spread. There are chemicals in the meshes that you can be having a reaction to.
Please follow up on this. Anything that seems out of the norm should be looked into.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 27th, 2008
hernia mesh
My son had the hernia surgery in January and this is the fifth time he has been in the er. He has been admitted to the hospital and they have just run the last test to see if he has gall bladder problems. I still say it is from his hernia surgery. He has run a low temp every time and vomiting. He went into the hospital before his first check up after surgery, less than one week. He has been admitted five times. His doctor doesn't even want to discuss that this could be from the surgery that he performed. He said he has used mesh for years and never had a problem and not to believe anything that I read on internet. The problem is, how do you get another doctor to take someone else mistakes? There is an older doctor in town that is excellent and he will not use this mesh. Any suggestions? Thank you, Diane
|
Did you find this post helpful?